Migrating to pro tools...

002 has a rackmount version!

I scored the production toolkit Ilok license on ebay with no plugins for like 100.00 and that gives you multi track beat detective and also 48 or 64tracks (i don't remember) By the way I never need that many anyways.

And yes you can use outboard preamps as the 002 has 4 extra line inputs just for outboard preamps plus it has 4 built in preamps. Then you can get a 8 channel adat preamp setup like the behringer ada8000 and have 16 inputs/mic pre's going.

For delay compensation look up "ata time adjuster" plugin by melomuse i believe is the maker. Or you can slide tracks around manually if needed as well. Its a small headache but you get used to it.....

Ok we're getting closer, please forgive my noob-ness haha

Yeah it's 48 tracks according to the digidesign website, and I'm not sure that's enough, based on my cubase projects usually end up around 120-130 tracks... let's see here
10 tracks of drums
kick
snare
tom1
tom2
tom3
l overhead
r overhead
hihat
ride
room

and that's for a smaller kit.

4-6 tracks of rhythm guitars, 4-6 tracks of lead guitars, two tracks of bass(clean and dirty), four tracks for lead vocals(original and double, plus a duplicate if there are overlapping vocals), four tracks for harmonies, four tracks for screaming(same deal) four tracks of background stuff

that's 40 so I guess I could manage it, assuming protools doesn't count effects tracks in that number like cubase does, but I would have to remain fairly conservative. I guess it's feasible but I do not like the idea of having to worry about how many tracks I have available.

what the hell is the difference between the 002 and the 003?? I'm confused, I thought the 002 was the mixer version and the 003 was the rack version. Can I link them together?

I can live with paying $40 for the time adjuster plug, I suppose.

Let's see here.

Seems like it would be easy to get an 002 rack for $300 on ebay.(I'd still need to get the actual software somehow though)
black lion mod is $1250
we'll call the production toolkit $200 jsut to be safe
time adjuster plug $40

$1790 depending on the fluctuation of ebay and stuff... that's actually a pretty sweet idea. I'd get another 002 soon thereafter for more inputs if they are linkable, or maybe just a seperate a/d converter or something, but shit that actually sounds pretty great. Am I missing something here? This kind of makes HD seem like a waste? Does LE come with all the digirack plugins and all that whatnot?

edit: I guess it is 64 tracks for protools 8. I think I could live with that(again, assuming FX tracks aren't counted... and what about group tracks?)

thanks for all the help Joshua(and everyone else, too), I appreciate it a lot.

002 are not linkable but you can have 18 inputs total with a digi002. There software is cheap as well and usually you can score a 002 with the protools software.

If track count is an issue there is always this which gives you 128 tracks with LE. With the regular and more sanely priced MPTK you'll get 64 stereo tracks with pt8 (only 48 with 7.4).

I would still say profire. it would be much cheaper! and you are getting a better interface that can be used as your main soundcard. (ive heard the 002/003 wont play audio for anything except PT) its under a grand, then just buy mpowered with the production tool kit. mpowered should be just as good as le!

lots of misinformation here.
first. there are two versions of th 96...one has got 16ins and 2 outs (96i) and one has got 8 ins and 8 outs and adat etc (96) the latter one is cheaper.
LE without the toolkits can in no way be compared to HD, I'd rather stay with cubase before I go to naked LE. LE with all the toolkits is about as expensive as a used HD1.
I would NEVER work without ADC.
if you jump to protools go with the adult version.
I made the switch from Cubase to HD and LOVE it...I have LE installed as well and HATE it (wihtout the toolkits that is).

more often than not with a used HD core card you'll get older versions of PT.....but don't be afraid of 8, it's awesome (I know, Andy said he doesn't like it and went back to 7.4 but that doesn't mean you have to dislike it....Andy will upgrade also eventually ;) ).

from my experience: it's about 2-3 days of getting used to PT, after about one week of using it I was about as fast in PT as in Cubase (and I'm a fucking Cubase Wizard!).
there ar etwo or three things you'll really have to get used to because you'll miss them from cubase but that's only because you're expecting the same workflow as in cubase...with an open mind it's a maximum of 2-3 weeks until you switched to the PT workflow and incorporate it into your mindset...you won't miss the cubase features anymore then, because you just don't need them when you got used to HD.

The stock plugins are ace, definitely not worse than Cubase4's. the only DAW with better plugins is Logic IMO....but logic is for people that prefer playing with Lego than making music! (sorry guys) ;)....I still have 3 Logic dongles flying around here.....if anyone's interested ;)

so definitely go with HD one before LE...about the same price and WAY better..also you can upgrade to HD2,3,.... any time.
used core card: <1000&#8364;, used 96: <1000&#8364; in total you'll end up around 1800&#8364; and with a MUCH better system than LE with a 002 is.
PLUS you have more upgrade options, ADC etc......used core cards come with the software usually and often with extra plugins also.

seriously...a no-brainer. Guys, stop recommending him LE for the same price with a shittier interface.

I switched to PT M-powered some months ago (only because I don't know if I'll have any incoming from this work, otherwise I had buy PT HD).
Of course, if I have to buy LE and the complete toolkit, I would definitelly go for a used HD.
The only problem (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the interface (digi96 in this case) has AD/DA converters in it so you need preamps without included AD/DA (apart of the ADAT one). So if you have 8pre interface like octopre, etc... it's not so good to connect 2 converters in chain and you have to change the preamp module with one witout converters.

I switched to PT M-powered some months ago (only because I don't know if I'll have any incoming from this work, otherwise I had buy PT HD).
Of course, if I have to buy LE and the complete toolkit, I would definitelly go for a used HD.
The only problem (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the interface (digi96 in this case) has AD/DA converters in it so you need preamps without included AD/DA (apart of the ADAT one). So if you have 8pre interface like octopre, etc... it's not so good to connect 2 converters in chain and you have to change the preamp module with one witout converters.

nah, it's just another option.
the 96 has decent (not great) converters and ALSO ADAT ins, so you can connect whatever you want ;)

nah, it's just another option.
the 96 has decent (not great) converters and ALSO ADAT ins, so you can connect whatever you want ;)

Yes I know, but for example I have a profire 2626 (usable as a standalone 8 channels preamp) and a Focusrite Octopre, so 16 inputs in total (greats for drums tracking).
If I buy a digi96, its 8 inputs are only inputs (w/o preamps)? If they have not preamps, I have to use for example the profire as preamp,with every output connected to an input of the digi96, but it has ad/da converters and it should be a chain of 2 converters.
Of course with 16 adat channels it would be different but the 96 has only 8 channel preamp :\

lots of misinformation here.
first. there are two versions of th 96...one has got 16ins and 2 outs (96i) and one has got 8 ins and 8 outs and adat etc (96) the latter one is cheaper.
LE without the toolkits can in no way be compared to HD, I'd rather stay with cubase before I go to naked LE. LE with all the toolkits is about as expensive as a used HD1.
I would NEVER work without ADC.
if you jump to protools go with the adult version.
I made the switch from Cubase to HD and LOVE it...I have LE installed as well and HATE it (wihtout the toolkits that is).

more often than not with a used HD core card you'll get older versions of PT.....but don't be afraid of 8, it's awesome (I know, Andy said he doesn't like it and went back to 7.4 but that doesn't mean you have to dislike it....Andy will upgrade also eventually ;) ).

from my experience: it's about 2-3 days of getting used to PT, after about one week of using it I was about as fast in PT as in Cubase (and I'm a fucking Cubase Wizard!).
there ar etwo or three things you'll really have to get used to because you'll miss them from cubase but that's only because you're expecting the same workflow as in cubase...with an open mind it's a maximum of 2-3 weeks until you switched to the PT workflow and incorporate it into your mindset...you won't miss the cubase features anymore then, because you just don't need them when you got used to HD.

The stock plugins are ace, definitely not worse than Cubase4's. the only DAW with better plugins is Logic IMO....but logic is for people that prefer playing with Lego than making music! (sorry guys) ;)....I still have 3 Logic dongles flying around here.....if anyone's interested ;)

so definitely go with HD one before LE...about the same price and WAY better..also you can upgrade to HD2,3,.... any time.
used core card: <1000€, used 96: <1000€ in total you'll end up around 1800€ and with a MUCH better system than LE with a 002 is.
PLUS you have more upgrade options, ADC etc......used core cards come with the software usually and often with extra plugins also.

seriously...a no-brainer. Guys, stop recommending him LE for the same price with a shittier interface.

entering HD is the same price as entering LE?

no way man. if that was true i'd already have an HD system!!

entering HD is the same price as entering LE?

no way man. if that was true i'd already have an HD system!!

not "entering" LE but it's about the same as getting a fullblown LE rig with all the Toolkits etc.

as I said, HD1 used will run you less than 2k$

XeS:
you dont HAVE to use the converters in the LE...they're alright, but the ones in the 96 are still better.

so connect your profire via ADAT and the line outs of your octopre to the line ins (converters) of the digi: 16 channels. I really don't see the problem.

XeS:
you dont HAVE to use the converters in the LE...they're alright, but the ones in the 96 are still better.

so connect your profire via ADAT and the line outs of your octopre to the line ins (converters) of the digi: 16 channels. I really don't see the problem.

Probably this is a personal ignorance, but when a signal pass from the input to the output of the LE, the signal doesn't pass though the AD converter also? Or it's involved only if the signal goes out via adat?

Probably this is a personal ignorance, but when a signal pass from the input to the output of the LE, the signal doesn't pass though the AD converter also? Or it's involved only if the signal goes out via adat?

only if you use the adat out.
on the rear of the unit you've got a switch to decide whether you wnat the preampouts to be send to the line outs or to the converters

Ugh just when I thought I had it figured out hahah.

Ok so here's what I'm looking at(prices are rough ebay estimates)-
002 rack - $300
black lion mod - $1250
music production toolkit - $200
melomuse time adjuster plugin - $40

Total: $1790, for a functional pro tools rig. It's not HD but really is ADC that much better than having the time adjuster plugin?

HD:
Core 1 card - $1,300(doesn't come with software, anything that does is $2,000+)
I/O 96 - $900

Total: $2200 but no software. Benefits would be... being able to say I have an HD rig, ADC, and... ????

[quote='[UEAK]
HD:
Core 1 card - $1,300(doesn't come with software, anything that does is $2,000+)
?[/quote]

I just bought my HD on ebay us myself and there were plenty of HD core cards with software around 900$
have another look in a couple of days

Dont Hold me to this, but apparently the LE manual has the exact Sample Offset for I/O Delay.

For One on a budget, I would just slide regions to the appropriate amount. but then mellomuse is only 40 bux

Funny This, I went From a Echo Audiofire 12 to a 003 this exactime last year. Never ever known anyone else to have the Audiofire 12. Cool unit but No Adat :( What Preamps were you using with that? Agreed DigiDesign preamps are Horse shit, so why not use the Line Ins with your Current Pre's

May I ask, what is the Purpose for this? Some will Disagree With this logic, but are you using it in a home studio for personal use, or Commercial Usage with Regular Projects, or somewhere in between. HD is fucking expensive and I would be Justifying my decision with any return you may get from this equipment.

Again some will Dissagree with that, but Its a take on the topic :)

how would the 002 with the BLM stack up to the profire? if you pay 300 for the 02, and 1250 for the BLM, wouldnt the profire 2626 be a better deal? plus you get 8 preamps as opposed to the 4 that the 002 has.

and if you buy an hd card used, can the software be re registered in your name? I know that when I sold my mbox, I was unable to unregister PT so the buyer could register it. he had to purchase a new copy of PT LE.

honestly, I think for PT on a budget, Profire pwns 002 or 003!!!!!! especially if you are using a p.c!!!! TRUST ME!!!! digidesign interfaces SUCK! big time!

profire is about 800-900 bucks, mpowered is about 150 bucks, production toolkit is around 400 bucks, and ADC is around 100 bucks. thats only 1500 bucks total which is cheaper than the used 002 with BLM alone, plus you are getting MORE PREAMPS that sound better! and the profire will work as your soundcard using your internet browser ect. it seems like a no brainer to me!