Mikael Åkerfeldt is godly.

Xalon Niles

Metal/Super Sentai Fan
Dec 22, 2001
Parts unknown.
hometown.aol.com
I like to see OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt do a solo acoustic cd with guest musicians: Keyboardist Per Wiberg on Keyboards and Steve Wilson on 2nd acoustic guitar and backing vocals. This should be normal acoustic cd with no drums or bass.

thatd be cool, yeah, they could have me guest on a few tracks, then the cd would truly kick ass.... :cool:

Niles Darquetona said:
I like to see OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt do a solo acoustic cd with guest musicians: Keyboardist Per Wiberg on Keyboards and Steve Wilson on 2nd acoustic guitar and backing vocals. This should be normal acoustic cd with no drums or bass.
Wow, that sounds boring indeed.

Niles Darquetona said:
This would be like show a more straight-forward old skool acoustic music that is different from Damnation.

I do not think Mikael like's writing straight-forward music, but I'm just assuming. I think if they added bass, and simple drums and electric guitars to the album it would be great. Mikael should write the music and play guitar and vocals, Per Wiberg should play keys (like piano, bass, organ, strings sort of stuff) and backing vocals, Steve Wilson on bass, some vocals, and production, and get Anders Nordin to play drums and percussion, that would be great. But thats my opinion. I still think your plans would be good, and I'd buy the albums either way.

no bass no fun. and not because im a bassist.
i actually did a song a while ago, where there is nothing but acoustic guitar, 2 acoustic basses, and vocals. well, the guitars were echoed, but thats the only non-acoustic part of the song... so yeah... i dunno, i find that bass adds to the moody-ness of an acoustic song.

hmm sounds a little queer to me ...i think it would be cool if mikael played guitar and vocals and then got peter to play guitar and the martins to do bass and drums now isnt that a crazy idea,

Well, that could be cool. Damnation as it is was a radical departure from their past acoustic stuff... I think most people expected songs like "Credence", "Benighted", "Harvest", and mammoth acoustic songs like "To Bid You Farewell" or "Face of Melinda." To our surprise, the album was far different... who expected jazz-like beats, and MELLOTRONS? To me, Damnation proved that they were not only pioneers in the metal world, but even on an acoustic level too.

I'd rather Mikael just do another album with Opeth (including Per), with Steve Wilson as producer though. ;)

I'd like to see what Mikael and Devin Townsend could do. I adore Devin's vocal work. The chorale styled layering he does simply blows me away. There are just those parts in songs like Seventh Wave, Stagnant, etc. that just seem to leave the shorthairs on my arms on end. He's did a great job on Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos album and I think a dual contribution of Steven Wilson and Devin would really push Opeth's sound to its limits. Then again it's one of my dreams to see all three of these guys go out on a tour together. I think it would be a great idea for Katatonia, Devin Townsend Band/SYL, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dan Swano (EoS, Bloodbath, Moontower, N'gale), Forest Stream, Agalloch, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, and Arcy Enemy :: I could keep going but I think this shall suffice:: to do a worldwide metal festival tour. It'd be something along the lines of a Vans Warped tour but with metal/progressive music. Or they could keep it in one city and make a 3 day event out of it like they do here in North Carolina with the annual Cityfest Live! event. That way you could get some of the more obsucre/up 'n' comin' acts and also start bringing in more bands like Arcturus, Immolation, Cryptopsy, Vehemence, Kalmah, Sentenced, My Dying Bride, Khante, Decapitated, Peccatum, Winds, Grave, Carnal Forge, Cephalic Carnage, The Haunted, Nightrage, Nonexist, Cradle, Dimmu, Kataklysm, Symphony X, Adagio, Pain of Salvation, and Blind Guardian.

I imagine that the event would sell a shitload considering the variety of bands that could be featured. Then all you gotta do is find a company/companies willing to make a DVD out of the event an voila!!

((sigh)) It's a nice dream but I'd be happy seeing Opeth work with Devin or Seeing Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, and Opeth tour together.

Heavy Devys vocals on the Rush tribute album "Working Man" rocked. He gave Natural Science a huge set of Brontosaurus balls.

Bartman