Mikael Åkerfeldt no more in Bloodbath

Midwinter_melancholY

¨‘°ºOrnamental adagiOº°‘¨
Nov 30, 2002
Belgium
www.hanenwurger.org
BLOODBATH: MIKAEL ÅKERFELDT Out, New Album On The Way

BLOODBATH, the Swedish death metal supergroup featuring Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström (KATATONIA, DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE, BEWITCHED), Jonas Renkse (KATATONIA, OCTOBER TIDE) and Dan Swanö (NIGHTINGALE, DAN SWANÖ, UNICORN, EDGE OF SANITY, INFESTDEAD, ODYSSEY, PAN-THY-MONIUM), have announced plans to enter the studio in the spring to record their sophomore album, tentatively due late summer through Century Media Records.

"Yeah, we're currently fueling up for another lap in the death metal lane as the band has now begun writing the material for the follow-up to [2002's] 'Resurrection Through Carnage' with the studio being booked for late spring," Blakkheim wrote in the band's official forum. "Now, there has been some relevant changes in the line-up.

Vocalist Mike Åkerfeldt [OPETH] has been kicked out and a replacement is already found in one of the biggest names in the scene. Furthermore, drummer Dan Swanö has decided to step off at the death metal depot to switch instruments and is now sharing guitar duties with me. Taking over the drums, is yet another big, big name. Jonas Renkse is still keepin' the decay and pulse behind the bass and is leading the race of gathering pile after pile with sick and dark lyrics. As for the new members, their secret names will be revealed soon. A monster album is promised!!!"

blabbermouth.net - 04/03/2004

Some time ago Dan wrote this:

‘Yes, we do. The biggest problem is to replace Mike (Akerfeldt – Opeth). He’s not going to be there because of contract things with Music for Nations. I can understand that because he is the Opeth main man. We have a couple of names, I don’t want to mention any names but I would say that some of them are bigger than Mike and some may be not well-known but they have a great voice. I would like to find a very famous singer with a great voice that fits in the Bloodbath concept. We have found him but we haven’t decided really yet. If everything works we make a new album because everyone is asking us. So, Jonas, Anders, me and this other person. To me, Mike is the best singer with a growling voice in the world and he is impossible to replace. But we can have another shot working with what we have now instead of then and make an album that is equal but in a different direction. I will try to write more in the direction of Death and Dark Angel instead of Swedish death metal’.

Is this is true, the only thing I can say is that Opeth is now MFN's slave. Just check it out what the band have done so far according to what the label tell them to do. The DVD thing.

Steingrim said:
Some time ago Dan wrote this:

‘Yes, we do. The biggest problem is to replace Mike (Akerfeldt – Opeth). He’s not going to be there because of contract things with Music for Nations. I can understand that because he is the Opeth main man. We have a couple of names, I don’t want to mention any names but I would say that some of them are bigger than Mike and some may be not well-known but they have a great voice. I would like to find a very famous singer with a great voice that fits in the Bloodbath concept. We have found him but we haven’t decided really yet. If everything works we make a new album because everyone is asking us. So, Jonas, Anders, me and this other person. To me, Mike is the best singer with a growling voice in the world and he is impossible to replace. But we can have another shot working with what we have now instead of then and make an album that is equal but in a different direction. I will try to write more in the direction of Death and Dark Angel instead of Swedish death metal’.
I see no mention of Mike being out of Bloodbath for monetary reasons. If anything it's tied to Opeth's deal with MFN and probably has nothing to do with money at all.

To me, Bloodbath's greatness lies in the sum of its parts. One great part is gone, but if the replacement part is anywhere near the level of Mike then I doubt I'll have much, if anything, to complain about.

Agreed. Mikael's vocals were awesome, no doubt, but the wicked riffing and thick groove they created as a BAND is what made Bloodbath so good. I'm sure by Swano stepping out from behind the kit and joining the 6-string attack, they will be just fine. Swano himself could sing, though I don't think that is what they're going to do.

If they stick to Swedes, Peter Tatgren (sp?) or perhaps Tompa would do just fine.

I don't think you could ever replace a vocalist such Akerfeldt, he's a one off.
Good luck finding anyone at least half as good as Mike.
I'm still going to buy the album for sure, and no doubt on occasions imagining Mike's voice over the new vocalist..heheh
Athough there is no Akerfeldt, it should still kick some serious arse :kickass:

swano moving to guitar is an indication to me that possibly bloodbath will become an actual touring act as opposed to just a studio band. Thats great!

akerfeldt's input has been great, but if bloodbath can become a live act by getting a different vocalist then all the power to them!

i would love to see them live.

markgugs said:
the wicked riffing and thick groove they created as a BAND is what made Bloodbath so good.
damn straight. every moment is a headbang moment in their albums haha.

markgugs said:
Swano himself could sing, though I don't think that is what they're going to do.
ya i wonder why swano doesnt sing... imo, his vocals are terrific, especially in crimson II

the_drip said:
Swano's vocals are almost as good as MIke's. Clean and growling.

I think not, Mikael has a more natural voice, in both singing ánd growling. He's really the best i.m.o.

Bloodbath without Mike is like Morbid angel without David Vincent...although Mike doesn't write anything, he's just a huge part of their sound. Their music is rather simplistic and standard death metal, it's the vocals that make it special!

well, dan swano admitted that mike was the best growler in his opinion as well, but i dont think they really need mike to move on. mikes growling in bloodbath is nothing special if you compare it with his growling in opeth, and im sure the sound of the band with a different growler will not drastically change. im actually anxious to listen to how it will sound now.
Lets just wait till we actually have a sound clip to judge *erk* by.

I really wish Swanö would just do them himself, he really does have a great growl that I think would go nicely with the music. Mike's were great too, I just listened to RTC for the first time in a while today and realised how important they were to the sound.

Anders, Jonas and Dan are all great musicians who know what they're doing, and I'm sure they can choose replacements that will live up to all our expectations.

\m/ add this to the list of great releases to be expected this year

KielbasaSausage said:
well, dan swano admitted that mike was the best growler in his opinion as well, but i dont think they really need mike to move on. mikes growling in bloodbath is nothing special if you compare it with his growling in opeth, and im sure the sound of the band with a different growler will not drastically change. im actually anxious to listen to how it will sound now.
Lets just wait till we actually have a sound clip to judge *erk* by.

i expect the cd to be good, but i just really think mike gave it that extra fucking kick. sure, there are a lot of death vocalists out there, but mikes were so fucking brutal in bloodbath. i have to disagree with his vox in bloodbath being unspecial compared to his vox in opeth. while i prefer the not "as brutal" vox he uses in opeth, taken into consideration the brutality of bloodbath, they fit perfect. ALSO, you can easily differentiate the voices of the same man on both projects, it's a totally different sound he uses. it does seem like there is some kind of effect on his bloodbath voice, to make it sound the way it does, but whatever the case, the band won't be the same w/out mike.

on another akerfeldt sidenote, i finally got the 2 katatonia albums mike sings on, and both are very good musically, and his vocals are of course, very good.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I thought the Bloodbath thing (Even though they did release the full-length album.) was just a side-project among friends for fun. Why would they replace someone if that is all it was??? I own and love both CD's they made but I don't understand why they would even bother without Mikael.