Mikael Akerfeldt instructional/guitar lesson DVD?

Karl Hungus

The Philosopher
Nov 4, 2005
Wouldn't that crazy an idea, would it?

Mike is probably my favourite guitarist there is, right up there with Chuck Schuldiner, and I've got a few instructional DVDs here by the likes of John Petrucci and Michael Angelo, which are pretty badass indeed, so what would be better than if Mike did a DVD? Well, probably lessons from Mike himself, but I'd say that's a rare enough thing.

Speaking of instructional videos that are more about feeling than technique, I heartily recommend Marty Friedman's Melodic Control. Damn good one that is.

Moonlapse said:
It would be good to have an instructional video that promotes feeling and choice of notes rather than speed and technique.
The speed and technique vids aren't all bad. I once showed a Malmsteen (beginner lesson) instructional video to a few friends who had slightly inflated heads, and have yet to find a better way to shatter an ego...

I fail to realise how you can teach emotive playing through a video, I don't think a video is up Mike's alley. It would be more intersting with a Martin Lopez drum instruction video.

I just like having dvds of people playing guitar or drums etc. I just love watching people play - it's really interesting for me. I'm sure loads of you will agree that listening to a virtuoso play can be one of the most inpsiring things and is really interesting.

i'm utterly sick of all the sweep and tap and such videos, they (along with the style) generally bore me.

a melodic note-choice type video would be a lot more interesting.