Mikael & Kayo Dot (Maudlin of the Well)

Actually, on a (more) serious note.. is the Kayo Dot album any good? I've only heard two of the MotW ones (Bath and LYBM, if my grey blob speaks the truth), and they just didn't click.. I'm not sure why.. But I heard that the Kayo Dot album was pretty different. Should I check it out?

MOTW never stuck for me, but I bought the KD album soon after hearing it. So yeah, try it. I might give their old band another shot now, too.

Lakestream said:
Actually, on a (more) serious note.. is the Kayo Dot album any good? I've only heard two of the MotW ones (Bath and LYBM, if my grey blob speaks the truth), and they just didn't click.. I'm not sure why.. But I heard that the Kayo Dot album was pretty different. Should I check it out?
I'd check it out, yeah. In MY OPINION, it's fairly similar to the last Maudlin of the Well album(s), or at least Bath. It has far less of the growling, and it never explodes into an immolation-sounding death fest like that cd occasionally did, and it has an overall stranger feel. I think it's really cool, but I did enjoy Bath and My Fruit Psychobells. For some reason "Leaving Your Body Map" never did it for me.

ANyway yes, I did hear that thing about a Maudlin of the Well member saying something about "we don't just paste riffs together like Opeth." I don't know which it was, i'd GUESS toby based on the fact that he's the main songwriter. Whatever. I think Opeth's songwriting is much more cohesive anyway. :p

I never really understood why people took offense to Toby's statement to begin with. It's an opinion, and actually, if you see the documentation on the DVD, it's factual. A statement saying that they don't cut and paste in protools, and Opeth does, doesn't mean one is better then the other. Hell, just about ANY band in the studio these days uses protools in this way, (as we have as well) because it saves a hell of a lot of time, and frees you up in the studio to be more creative, and try out new ideas without spending 3 times the budget for the recording. The problem was that some people took this as a put down, but like I said, I never saw it like that. It was just a statement, and I'm sure nothing was said to offend the band, and even if it was, wouldn't that be between Opeth and Kayo?