Mikael & Kayo Dot (Maudlin of the Well)

Novembers Paul said:
I never really understood why people took offense to Toby's statement to begin with. It's an opinion, and actually, if you see the documentation on the DVD, it's factual. A statement saying that they don't cut and paste in protools, and Opeth does, doesn't mean one is better then the other. Hell, just about ANY band in the studio these days uses protools in this way, (as we have as well) because it saves a hell of a lot of time, and frees you up in the studio to be more creative, and try out new ideas without spending 3 times the budget for the recording. The problem was that some people took this as a put down, but like I said, I never saw it like that. It was just a statement, and I'm sure nothing was said to offend the band, and even if it was, wouldn't that be between Opeth and Kayo?
Listen to the voice of reason :worship:

Novembers Paul said:
I never really understood why people took offense to Toby's statement to begin with. It's an opinion, and actually, if you see the documentation on the DVD, it's factual. A statement saying that they don't cut and paste in protools, and Opeth does, doesn't mean one is better then the other. Hell, just about ANY band in the studio these days uses protools in this way, (as we have as well) because it saves a hell of a lot of time, and frees you up in the studio to be more creative, and try out new ideas without spending 3 times the budget for the recording. The problem was that some people took this as a put down, but like I said, I never saw it like that. It was just a statement, and I'm sure nothing was said to offend the band, and even if it was, wouldn't that be between Opeth and Kayo?
Hey Paul, see you at L'amours!

Netheral said:
Does anybody know what Mikael thinks about Kayo Dot (Maudlin of the Well)? Wasn't there a thread long long time ago?............

I just got off the phone with Mikael and he said that Kayo Dot isn't really on his radar.

haha....

Maudlin of the Well and/or Kayo Dot play complete different music to Opeth. Whilst Opeth may actually cut and paste riffs on pro tools and what not, they still manage to sound full of emotion and power. MOTW and Kayo Dot seem to focus on a more jazzy/modern classical composing approach(I think). I have recently purchased all 3 MOTW albums and Choirs of the Eye by Kayo Dot. I also happen to own all the Opeth albums. I like them all just as much because they put out music I like. Besides what's so bad about cutting and pasting?

Why? Why does it matter? What does any of this matter? They're both great bands, and they both have different techniques and/or styles. So why complain? Jesus Christ...........I am about ready to have a Kayopeth Dotatonia.

ChromeLife said:
There must be some kind of a language barrier here...
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours
I could teach you
But I have to charge