mikael's guitar feedback

someone posted before that Opeth used nearly ever part of their sound from the gt-3, that they had it setup so all the distortion/amp modeling came from the processor. I guess whether thats correct or not is debatable, but like I said, even with tons of tweaking, I couldn't get it. I tried just using amp models, tried just disortion (which was a little closer), tried combos of both, messed with the EQ on every one of those, nada...just didn't sound good enough. Even distortion wise I use the overdrive on the laney, and its really really close. Guess the only problem is you lose a lot of verstatility.

oh and just to give laney a free advertisement...those GH/VH series are just amazing sounding. I got a whole set of JJ tubes for mine, put a GE-7 in the loop (that was they key for me) and it sounds beautiful. Clean to opeth to dark tranquillity, tons of gain.

but if Mikael ever wants to post some advice for us i'd be eternally grateful, not because I really need to nail Opeth's sound, but because i'd love to be able to get such a nice overdrive + clean settings + lead + effects out of one place. Katatonia and GSYBE supposedly use the GT boxes too *ponder*.

Boasting background: When my band played support for 'The Butterfly Effect'...
Point: ...the other support band's bass player used an ebow... sounded pretty damn cool

Thanks for your info. As for Moonlapse, let me sugest you not to buy the ME-50. I've had an ME-30 back in 97 when they first came out to replace their me-8, it sucks... the sound is very BAD Consider a gx700 rack (which is cheaper and is a preamp/effects processor) or GT-6/5.

Cheers and thanks folks!