Mike Akerfeldt & Steve Wilson

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
This MAY sound like a bit of a stretch, but, whatever...

In all honesty, Mike and Steve should really get together and start up some sort of side project or whatever. I mean, these guys are fucking brilliant in every sense of the word. Now, it's also evident that these guys find inspiration from each other's work, which I find very cool - which, more and more I am beginning to see similarities in both their work. I find they both share the same kind of interests in music. Heck, check out the song Arriving Somewhere But not Here - EASILY the best Porcupine Tree song to date imo. Mike does a killer solo in it (as does wilson) and the overall feeling is beyond words.

So, damn, why not join forces and create some music together? Some fucking top-notch, brilliant piece of work. They may even become the next Lennon/McCartney duo if you ask me - honestly! The talent both these artists have is something truly incredible. I'd just love it if these guys worked together, sharing ideas - I can only imagine what would come of it.

Anyone else agree?

It would be nice, yeah. It may well happen, after Opeth have had their heyday and are disbanded. But I'm thinkin it'd be a bit hard for em to work together, since one lives in Sweden and the other in England.

Well, it should have been obvious, but I DID mean actually co-write songs together. 50/50. And possibly, create a side project consisting of them two writing songs together. Heck, we all know Wilson has a bunch of his OWN side projects already, like his No-Man project, which is awesome.

Great! Then it should be pretty clear that the 3 aforementioned albums are 'Opeth' releases ie.

Mikael Akerfeldt
Peter Lindgren
Martin Mendez
Martin Lopez

and not

Mikael Akerfeldt & Steven Wilson.

Of course he did. But at their base, they're still Opeth ideas. It wouldn't be the same as Mike producing a Porcupine Tree record, nor Mike and Steven writing something from scratch together.

Those 3 albums are pretty much the extent of how much Steve Wilson influence I actually want on an Opeth record, which is why I think it'd be great if they formed an external side-project. So Opeth can remain Opeth.

There was a rumour about a metal project with Mike Steve and Danny (Anthema), but that was a while ago. Someone on the PT board is goin to interview Steve and ask him about it.

Yes, rumor has it that Mike and Steven are going to do an extreme metal side-project sometime in the future (whenver that may be).

and oh yeah NFU, i finally heard all of Caravan - In The Land Of Grey and Pink, great album though my favs are Winter Wine and the title track :D

OpethNZ said:
and oh yeah NFU, i finally heard all of Caravan - In The Land Of Grey and Pink, great album though my favs are Winter Wine and the title track :D

awesome. both are great songs. did you get the bonus edition with "i dont know its name"? if not, you may want to look into that. that song is much like winter wine, but maybe even better.

Steven Wilson and Mike should never do a side project and I hope Steven Wilson contributes very little to the new album. I couldn't stand it if he added his whinny, annoying, crackling, sorry excuse for singing on another opeth track.

magic_elf said:
Steven Wilson and Mike should never do a side project and I hope Steven Wilson contributes very little to the new album. I couldn't stand it if he added his whinny, annoying, crackling, sorry excuse for singing on another opeth track.

being a tool isnt very flattering for anyone.

<crimson> said:
:erk: double you tee eff mate? no beatles is boring.

its nothing against what the beatles did, just personally i dont find the beatles music interesting, i think theyre often blown out of proportion, their music isnt appealing to me, though i appreciate their contribution to music and agree theyre great musicians, i would rather listen to other music, to each their own man :)

^ that's funny, I don't consider the Beatles to be very good musicians at all, I just like them for their songwriting skills (unless that's what you meant).

the most overrated band on this forum has got to be Caravan :Spin: