Mike, are you an Ulver fan?

Necropeth

Nov 14, 2007
Abbotsford, B.C.
I hear many, many riff resemblances in their first album "Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler" and various work by Opeth.

You into them by any chance?

Hey, i made your dancing mike signature! I feel flattered.

I'm quite sure I've seen Mikael reference Ulver before, but don't quote me on that. But they're a relatively obscure band, so that's pretty much proof that he is influenced by them.

I belive he has answerd to a few.

But regarding Ulver. The first thing I thought when I first heard Bergtatt was "Hmm this sounds like My Amrs, Your Hearse".

I actually hear a bit of Morningrise in Bergtatt, which would mean that it was in fact Garm who was into Opeth.

Morningrise was a vitamin in the orange when Bergtatt was released pal.:)It was released in 1994.Morningrise was in 1996.

Don't get it negative,both bands are very important to me and Morningrise is one of my favourite albums.But Bergtatt was released earlier and that era was a different era for Ulver,they flirted with folky tunes much.You know,after Bergtatt,they released a full-acoustic album,Kveldsjanger.I don't know if we compare that folky tunes with the Opethian ones.They tend to be different from each other I think.

I heard Primordial's The Song of the Tomb the other day, now that reminded me a bit of My Arms, Your Hearse. I never noticed the Ulver connection, though I've had Bergtatt since release, but yeah, there's always been a tad black metal influences, or rather Scandinavian-folk-chords-progression-with-fuzzz

Hey, i made your dancing mike signature! I feel flattered.

I'm quite sure I've seen Mikael reference Ulver before, but don't quote me on that. But they're a relatively obscure band, so that's pretty much proof that he is influenced by them.

Sweetness!!! You sure did do a great job! A true masterpiece! :headbang:

Ɛnslaved;7431429 said:
Morningrise was a vitamin in the orange when Bergtatt was released pal.:)It was released in 1994.Morningrise was in 1996.

Don't get it negative,both bands are very important to me and Morningrise is one of my favourite albums.But Bergtatt was released earlier and that era was a different era for Ulver,they flirted with folky tunes much.You know,after Bergtatt,they released a full-acoustic album,Kveldsjanger.I don't know if we compare that folky tunes with the Opethian ones.They tend to be different from each other I think.

"Akchh" I stand corrected on the dates, I had Natterns Madrigal's in my head, which is still wrong!

The last riff in Capitel I is the riff I've always thought sounds like something from Morningrise but I agree with you on your general take of the matter.

...vitamin in the orange?!

I thought that Bergtatt and Orchid were written simultaneously, so neither band influenced the other. Can anyone confirm this?
edit: from Opeth.com and encyclopaedia metallum...
Orchid was recorded in March 1994
Bergtatt was recorded in November 1994

Last spring, I was in such a mood that that album was all I wanted to listen to. A rather quiet, longing, and melancholic mood it was, but not unpleasant. It was raining just about every day, and I would sit at home with that album, the rain, candles burning, and read Swedish and translate it. There was also a girl in that period, briefly, and she always gave me a strange sort of feeling... somewhat peaceful, yet sad, and even slightly anxious. Ah well.... 'Ulvsblack' has a special place in my heart, though, because once, when the girl who is #1 in my life was over but finally had to leave, she agreed to stay just a little longer, to hear that song (which I knew she'd like). But I've always loved that song. Any piece of music that is able to express that sort of tense, brooding, inevitable finality is ace in my book.