Mike Baker (Singer of Shadow Gallery) RIP

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
I'm in total shock as his vocals are maybe my favorite part of their band. And he was WAYYY too young! :(

It is with deep sadness and regret that we announce the passing of Shadow Gallery vocalist, Michael A. Baker. Mike suffered a heart attack, Wednesday afternoon, October 29th, 2008. He was 45 years old. Mike was a founding member of Shadow Gallery and for the past 16 years, helped shape the sound of the band with his magical voice. Additionally, he made many appearances on rock records around the world. Those who knew him best were moved by his gentle spirit, sincere kindness, fun nature and passion for both music and sports. He was a warrior in the studio, a true professional. Mike was our friend, our singer and our brother. We loved him and will miss him enormously, but he will always be remembered in our hearts and through his music.

At this time we are setting up a condolence book on the Shadow Gallery Band website that you will be able to leave a message.

Good Bye Mike,

We will miss you and your beautiful voice.

I am at loss for words. What can I say after reading such tragic news ? My support and careful thoughts are going to Mike's family as I send them my wish for peace. :cry:

Rest In Peace Mike

Crap, that's sad...I was listening to Tyranny on the way to work and was wondering when a new S.G. disc was going to come out...I guess, never :(

RIP...

--dan

This is sad news, indeed, such a great vocal and way too young!

'Growing up' musically with the help of their amazing debut album is something I will carry with me forever, 1992 was a great year.

RIP Mike

I was listening to Tyranny on the way to work and was wondering when a new S.G. disc was going to come out...I guess, never :(
From their MySpace page:
The future of Shadow Gallery

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From Gary Wehrkamp:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shadow Gallery will continue. We will finish this record and make it as potent as it can be.
There are some questions to be answered, but we feel confident we will be provided with the answers.
The band has read so many of the wonderful heart touching comments, and heard from so many people these past two weeks and we look forward to giving the Shadow Gallery fans our very best, to honor them, and Mike.[/FONT]

From their MySpace page:
The future of Shadow Gallery

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From Gary Wehrkamp:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shadow Gallery will continue. We will finish this record and make it as potent as it can be.
There are some questions to be answered, but we feel confident we will be provided with the answers.
The band has read so many of the wonderful heart touching comments, and heard from so many people these past two weeks and we look forward to giving the Shadow Gallery fans our very best, to honor them, and Mike.[/FONT]

No one leaves you
When you live in their heart and mind
And no one dies
They just move to the other side
When we're gone
Watch the world simply carry on
We live on laughing and in no pain
We'll stay and be happy
With those who have loved us today

Marillion - Estonia

Carry On Guys and Rest In Peace Mike... You'll always be there in our heart and minds... and ears...

Not that I ever like to see someone die, or wish them that, but how on earth can anyone actually LIKE Mike Baker's vocals? He was an UNBELIEVIBLY bad singer... sounded like a 6 year old girl half the time. He was ok, as long as he didn't try to go too high or anything, but not a true lead singer, couldn't even sing past about a male high C without breaking into a girlish falseto. Might have made an ok backup singer, or member of a choir, (he did at least sing on pitch). But it's always amazed me how even though all those guys in Shadow Gallery are amazing musicians they somehow actually liked his vocals enough to keep him. Don't get me wrong, it's always sad when someone dies, especially when they are young and it's unexpected like that. But I have to be honest, whoever they get as their new singer will almost for sure be an improvement. His voice has just always sounded fruity to me... I don't get it... sorry...