Mike for the Shredder award?

:rolleyes:I don't want to search for my fucking source, you know you did it and everyone here would agree. Maybe you just didn't get my sentence? And why don't you just admit that you CAN'T reproduce Opeth solos the way you said it? Alright, keep up arguying for other stuff, instead of talking about the main subject (like wokketywok said). Keep avoiding it.
Oh wait, better idea, I'll find the source so you can shut the fuck up, and I'll catch some stupid things you said also.

"I posted them just to give people an idea that playing Opeth solos aren't that difficult and a 1 year old player can capture most of the essence of it." [Yeah right]

"I'm sure NOW if I tried for some time I'd get them much better than I did at the time" [That's the proof, but record first, and we'll see]

"I CAN'T PLAY THEM PERFECTLY IN THOSE VIDEOS WHICH WERE TAKEN ONE YEAR AGO AS AN INDICATOR OF I COULD PLAY OPETH SOLOS FAIRLY ACCURATELY EVEN BY THEN." [Does it mean you can now play them perfectly? Wasn't necessary to mention "in those videos", in my opinion, because you still can't]

"Funeral Portrait 1 (somewhere it goes offsync, because I couldn't hear the music in the background;" [And you keep trying to excuse the fact that you made mistakes. Listen, in studio, maybe you think they retry one riff like 50 times, but it's not the case. They are actually able to do it. You just can't admit you sucked at that moment (or still now?)]

"I being a 2 year old player can play your solos as good as you do" [So now you can play as good as Mikael, let's see, ok?]
"I was beginning to think that playing the guitar for 2 years had made me better than a person who has spent his entire life playing the guitar" [It's irony.. but it's quite a contradiction. So you're not better, but "as good"?]

I could go on...

I don't want to search for my fucking source, you know you did it and everyone here would agree. Maybe you just didn't get my sentence? And why don't you just admit that you CAN'T reproduce Opeth solos the way you said it? Alright, keep up arguying for other stuff, instead of talking about the main subject (like wokketywok said). Keep avoiding it.
Oh wait, better idea, I'll find the source so you can shut the fuck up, and I'll catch some stupid things you said also.

"I posted them just to give people an idea that playing Opeth solos aren't that difficult and a 1 year old player can capture most of the essence of it." [Yeah right]

"I'm sure NOW if I tried for some time I'd get them much better than I did at the time" [That's the proof, but record first, and we'll see]

"I CAN'T PLAY THEM PERFECTLY IN THOSE VIDEOS WHICH WERE TAKEN ONE YEAR AGO AS AN INDICATOR OF I COULD PLAY OPETH SOLOS FAIRLY ACCURATELY EVEN BY THEN." [Does it mean you can now play them perfectly? Wasn't necessary to mention "in those videos", in my opinion, because you still can't]

"Funeral Portrait 1 (somewhere it goes offsync, because I couldn't hear the music in the background;" [And you keep trying to excuse the fact that you made mistakes. Listen, in studio, maybe you think they retry one riff like 50 times, but it's not the case. They are actually able to do it. You just can't admit you sucked at that moment (or still now?)]

I could go on...

oh dear, I wasn't asking for your source on that I have claimed I am a better guitar player now. I was asking for your source on that I am not a better player now, like YOU have claimed in your previous post. dont bother going into arguments if you can't understand what i am talking about

Great thread!!!! (the Opeth forum is back!)Thank you gentle(wo/)men.

I think Annihilator has taken into account what's been said about the emotion and soul behind music (most important to me, maybe not to you), what that adds to a piece of music and how it is impossible to EXACTLY reproduce anything considering each and every single factor. Am I right in saying basically your argument was that Opeth solos/shredding aren't difficult to play (that because even you could play them) hence an award to Mike in shredding (beating say..Petrucci - not Li) isn't deserved?

Annihilat0r, you are hanging from a thin thread I can see.

You get the notes right, but you don't get the delivery right. Since you get the notes right you assume you are a guitar god. THAT is the subject, not anything else. Stick to it, or admit defeat.

noura: fuck me, yes. THANK YOU. that is EXACTLY what I am talking about. It's impossible to really reproduce any solo with all its nuances and feelings, and that goes with Opeth solos also, but other than that Opeth's solos aren't really hard ones and so a shredding award to Mike sounds absurd, like himself also accepted.

noura: fuck me, yes. THANK YOU. that is EXACTLY what I am talking about. It's impossible to really reproduce any solo with all its nuances and feelings, and that goes with Opeth solos also, but other than that Opeth's solos aren't really hard ones and so a shredding award to Mike sounds absurd, like himself also accepted.

I am not saying you should play it 100% exactly like Mike. I am not saying "Omg u didnt slide into dat note rite der" what I'm saying is you are ignoring everything other than what the notes are. It's as if you've read the tab and not even heard the song.

You really think it sounds good too, which is kinda scary.

Guys, let me reveal the outcome of your argument: Nothing!

I'll make it simple for you...don't fucking vote for me! I didn't nominate myself if that's what you're thinking.

And 2 year guitarplayer guy...I know that you mean well, but you do come across as a person who could use a little bit of modesty. You've played guitar for 2 years, that's fine, good luck. Maybe it's your choice of words, but ultimately you have every guy in this thread thinking your attitude needs a check up. So, just leave it. I think the rest of them gets your point. My solos are not that difficult...OK! Cool! I'm not a shredder...that's right too!

There's no need to argue over it. I won't feel bad, I promise. I might even take the odd solo every now and then even though I....suck!

Cheers
Mike

I'll make it simple for you...don't fucking vote for me! I didn't nominate myself if that's what you're thinking.

And 2 year guitarplayer guy...I know that you mean well, but you do come across as a person who could use a little bit of modesty. You've played guitar for 2 years, that's fine, good luck. Maybe it's your choice of words, but ultimately you have every guy in this thread thinking your attitude needs a check up. So, just leave it. I think the rest of them gets your point. My solos are not that difficult...OK! Cool! I'm not a shredder...that's right too!

There's no need to argue over it. I won't feel bad, I promise. I might even take the odd solo every now and then even though I....suck!

Cheers
Mike

okay mikey, I'll just leave it now that you have accepted YOU SUCK... no, just kiddin :D I love every bit of your music, including your solos, fuck me sideways if I meant to be insulting to you.

yeah, I could use some modesty but then where would the fun be? no forum is complete without some drama thrown it every once a week or so!

That's right.
I think modesty actually comes with age, at least I'm more laid back now than I used to be, thankfully.

No harm done...

Cheers
Mike

Cheers
Mike

Oh man, Mike, you're probably the first person in the history of voting that discourages his fans to vote! You deserve all our votes only for that reason. But then again, you know how much your music means to us, you don't need some random online contest to prove it.

I play in a band, I've been playing the guitar for 15 years or so now, and I used to think I was good. But really, I'm not. I might have a good feeling for writing songs (or at least, come up with cool parts to go with what the rest of the band comes up with) but when it comes to soloing, it's all wishful thinking. And you know what? It's fine with me.
I'm 29 now and I missed that train in my youth. No way I'm ever gonna be as good as the big guys out there, no matter how much I would practice...
But whenever we play gigs, the audience positively goes wild and that's satisfaction enough... :headbang:

Annihilat0r, those were damn good for playing one year, and obviously you're not the most modest person but I think I'd rather be very slightly arrogant than be some guy that nitpicks about attitude and vibrato for hours on a forum just to make a point. I've been playing for two years and am MAYBE as good as those videos.

Cheers
Mike

Hugs Micke..

Coming from a pretty much non-metal Opeth fan I have to say that saying your soloing sucks couldn't be further from the truth.

Everyone I show 'Arriving Somewhere but not Here' by Porcupine Tree to ALWAYS comments on the 'amazing clean bluesy solo' towards the end.

I'd rather listen to any Opeth solo over and over again until my speakers exploded than ever have to listen to a single Dragonforce again.

Annihilat0r, I think you should post a video of yourself now, just out of curiosity...

yeah, I could use some modesty but then where would the fun be? no forum is complete without some drama thrown it every once a week or so!

Yeah promise that your lack of modesty is made for fun. My ass. So you were asking for sources that you are not a better guitarist. Let's just clarify one little thing before going any further : I never said you weren't, I just supposed it to force you to proove me the opposite. So there we go, I have no sources, but, just like me, you also don't. All I was suggesting is that you show us your mighty progress.

Oh I'm sorry, I just noticed that my reply wasn't posted completly (probably because I switched to Advanced Mode). I was challenging you to prove your skills, when you said that "being a 2 year old player can play your solos as good as you do" and also when you answer to mexicola asking you if you could get the same feeling of Mike's playing and replied "Yes, it's not difficult". Can't wait to see your videos.

I'm getting into this discussion and getting mad only because of something Akerfeldt "underlined" above : Modesty.

I know its a bit late in the thread, so now this is going to sound a bit trolly,
but i think i could reproduce a Mike solo nicely.
Only because as ive progressed as a guitarist, I learned how to steal and borrow styles, and bring boil them down, to a melting pot of cool.

It first started with Kirk hammett, then It was Dimebag.
Then it was Mike. (kinda still is, as its kind of the root of it all)
Now im kinda getting a bit of an adam jones + Mårten Hagström coming though in my playing.

I think next will be a brent hinds/Devin Townsend twist because im loving the newest albums from both.

I dont know why i do it.
I think its all out of admiration for each guitarist mentionds style.

I would post a video but i have slow internetz.

Plus ive been playing since i was 11 I think so thats nearly ten years bending strings.

Everyone I show 'Arriving Somewhere but not Here' by Porcupine Tree to ALWAYS comments on the 'amazing clean bluesy solo' towards the end.

I'd rather listen to any Opeth solo over and over again until my speakers exploded than ever have to listen to a single Dragonforce again.

Annihilat0r, I think you should post a video of yourself now, just out of curiosity...

This guy's on the money.

Until the day someone duplicates Andy Latimer's guitar solo from 'Lunar Sea' with all the nuances, and with as much emotion and 'flair', I will continue to believe that it is next to impossible to do justice to any 'good' guitar solo by covering it.

Sure you can get close, but not quite close enough...