Mike The New Beethoven?

Aug 15, 2004
North-West England
I have a theory... that Mike is Ludwig van Beethoven reincarnated.

Recently i did i paper on good ol' Ludwig van for my music course and drew a few similarities between the two..

1. Both were extremely progressive and took music of their peers (Mozart and Haydn for Beethoven, Camel, Pink Floyd and Morbid Angel for Mike) to new levels

2. Both are known for odd key signature changes (see drapery falls, before and during the solo riff)

3. Both are known for taking one theme and changing it several times, causing a motif to sound entirely different.

4. Both are applauded for length of pieces and the unusual amount of variation in pieces

Finally 5. They both were child prodigies at both their instruments and composition (hey, who says "I hate hip-hop" was'nt a masterpeice)

Anyway... consider it, research it, whatever...

Yeah....I think this Opeth worship is starting to get out of control, sure Mike writes some good tunes, but for fuck's sake...

Next thread I predict will be: "Mikael is the new Jebus?!?"

I have a suggestion: wait about 4 years, during that time go listen to many different bands and types of music. Then come back to the board. Hopefully by then you will be around 17.5 and more in touch with reality.

this board is fucked...

Am I the only one who would almost complete agree with it?

Mike is no Beethoven, but more like Mozart. Extremely talented, very gifted with his vocal styles and just overall pretty great.

I never really understood the hype about the classical musicians. Sure, they wrote some really complex music and were virtuosos at their instruments but so are Dream Theater.

The only one to possibly beat Mike is Gildenlöw, I just had to say it again.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this (because of lack of knowledge..) but Daniel is much, much more talented than any classical musician ever was.

Composers are whores. King says: "make me a jolly symphony!" Zarthomdeg says: "ok if you pay me"

100 years pass

Zarthomged is a genoisu!

Wats the point? My fingers are cold.

The Night And The Silent Water said:
I have a theory... that Mike is Ludwig van Beethoven reincarnated.

Recently i did i paper on good ol' Ludwig van for my music course and drew a few similarities between the two..

1. Both were extremely progressive and took music of their peers (Mozart and Haydn for Beethoven, Camel, Pink Floyd and Morbid Angel for Mike) to new levels

2. Both are known for odd key signature changes (see drapery falls, before and during the solo riff)

3. Both are known for taking one theme and changing it several times, causing a motif to sound entirely different.

4. Both are applauded for length of pieces and the unusual amount of variation in pieces

Finally 5. They both were child prodigies at both their instruments and composition (hey, who says "I hate hip-hop" was'nt a masterpeice)

Anyway... consider it, research it, whatever...

Uh ... wrong. Mike wasn't a prodigy, if he were he'd be a better guitarist than he is now. He's a writer, not a player. Even then, his songs are not masterfully constructed, however, done well for what it is. He's no Beethoven.

Longinus said:
I never really understood the hype about the classical musicians. Sure, they wrote some really complex music and were virtuosos at their instruments but so are Dream Theater.

And so are Symphony X, Adagio, Steve Vai, Tony Macalpine, Return to Forever, and Spiral Architect. But I don't see them composing historically masterful pieces. Vai actually claimed to have composed a symphony. I can gurantee you even then it's no where near Beethoven's works. Why? He's a guitar wanker, not a composer.

Longinus said:
The only one to possibly beat Mike is Gildenlöw, I just had to say it again.

Who cares?

Longinus said:
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this (because of lack of knowledge..) but Daniel is much, much more talented than any classical musician ever was.

Keep thinking that.

This is a forum. A forum wants opinions and discussions.
You do not know what Gildenlöw is capable of, so please don't say anything.
You didn't get my point.

The guy in your signature was a clever person.

Longinus said:
This is a forum. A forum wants opinions and discussion

And you got mine.

Longinus said:
You do not know what Gildenlöw is capable of, so please don't say anything.

He's talented. But highly overrated-Mike Portnoy compared him to Pete Townshend and Roger Waters-both being overrated.
Townshend sucked. I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, however, all Waters did was come up with a few thoughtful concept albums (intriguing though). This doesn't make him a great a musician or instrumentalist.

PoS has yet to offer an opus that reaches DSOTM. And I think most have seen what he's capable of. Creative? Yes, but then there's Andy Winter, Devin Townsend, or Mattias Eklundh to just name a few.

Longinus said:
You didn't get my point.

Educate me.

Longinus said:
The guy in your signature was a clever person.

Absolutely. Great german philosopher, chiefly known as nothing short of an absolute idealist.

On a side not, don't take my remarks personal.

To be entirely honest, number 5 was a bit of a joke, mike wasnt a child prodigy, and if you hunt around, neither was Beethoven, as his father introduced him as younger than he was (by about 5 years) because chil prodigies were not uncommon at the time.
Also, Beethoven was NOT classical, as towards the end of his life, Beethoven wrote music for nought but himself and lived off allowances of his friends, rather than being employed by one king. Beethoves compositions were the first to be heard outside of royal prescence and played toward peasants. Beethoven was the start of romantic music, which was entirely about experimentation, feelings and awkwardness, even "heaviness"

I was comparing one or two things, not the entire person, and this is NOT, i repeat NOT hero worship of any kind

I also disagree with the Mozart reference, due to above statements.

Actually, I wasn't being serious about Akerfeldt being our current times' Mozart.

If anything, Gildenlöw is underrated.

You cannot find me a technically better vocalist in the metal/rock, actually any kind of genre ('cept for those opera singers). Nor can you find me a writer with a better grasp of languages in the music scene, with a better awareness of current politics or current society problems or someone who can analyze things as well as Daniel. >ou'd be hard pressed to find me a musician who plays as many instruments as he does and as well as he does.

And BE is the biggest opus to ever be released thus far. The album is absolutely insane.

To be entirely honest, number 5 was a bit of a joke, mike wasnt a child prodigy, and if you hunt around, neither was Beethoven, as his father introduced him as younger than he was (by about 5 years) because chil prodigies were not uncommon at the time.
Also, Beethoven was NOT classical, as towards the end of his life, Beethoven wrote music for nought but himself and lived off allowances of his friends, rather than being employed by one king. Beethoves compositions were the first to be heard outside of royal prescence and played toward peasants. Beethoven was the start of romantic music, which was entirely about experimentation, feelings and awkwardness, even "heaviness"

I was comparing one or two things, not the entire person, and this is NOT, i repeat NOT hero worship of any kind

You idiot; Beethoven was a child prodigy. You're just... so stupid. You're saying that because child prodigies were common at the time, Beethoven is not that special when measured against all this prodigy peers? I'm saying you're wrong, and I am correct in saying this. There were other prodigies at the time, but Beethoven ranked among the best of them.

"Also, Beethoven was NOT classical, as towards the end of his life, Beethoven wrote music for nought but himself and lived off allowances of his friends, rather than being employed by one king."

Definition of classical:

Music.
a. Of or relating to European music during the latter half of the 18th and the early 19th centuries.
b. Of or relating to music in the educated European tradition, such as symphony and opera, as opposed to popular or folk music.

Hmm, Beethoven, lived from 1770-1827. Wrote music during that time period. Fits a. He wrote music in the European tradition (more like set the standard for what was traditional European music), and he wrote symphonies. Looks like you lose. And what the hell does writing music for yourself and living off of your friends have to do with the genre of music that you write?

This thread has gone to serious shit fast......

What are you talking about? This thread was shit the moment it was conceived.

Longinus said:
>ou'd be hard pressed to find me a musician who plays as many instruments as he does and as well as he does.

Actually I wouldn't. And the musician I'm about to name is no one most metalheads would even know much about.

Prince.

He plays at least 30 instruments maybe more. And plays them flawlessly. As far as a guitarist? He's up with the best. Songwriting? He can write a complex jazz song faster than most can come up with the lead riff for a song. Daniel's vocal skills have nothing over Prince, the odd Purple One has more ranges that most only dream about having.

You like most other metalheads (most being close minded) will probably refuse to agree with that. Regardless, Prince owns the majority of musicians out there ... Daniel's one of them.