Mike The New Beethoven?

anonymousnick2001 said:
Comparing Akerfeldt to any classical composer is idiotic. I'm glad that he's so inhumanly humble. Any musician subject to this much fellating fanboyism would have developed severe Messiah complex or pretentious "I'm God!"-syndrome by now.

I agree, however I do believe that the genre of music an artist dabbles in inherently limits the amount of "creativity" they can display, if that makes any sense. The guys in Opeth are incredible in there field of music, and comparing them to the likes of classical composers is shortchanging both groups in my opinion.

The Night And The Silent Water said:
To be entirely honest, number 5 was a bit of a joke, mike wasnt a child prodigy, and if you hunt around, neither was Beethoven, as his father introduced him as younger than he was (by about 5 years) because chil prodigies were not uncommon at the time.
young ludwig was quite a precocious child, and i would indeed consider him a prodigy. his father told people he was younger than he really was because young ludwig grew up in the presence of 1 (not a plethora) musical prodigy, mozart.
Also, Beethoven was NOT classical, as towards the end of his life, Beethoven wrote music for nought but himself and lived off allowances of his friends, rather than being employed by one king. Beethoves compositions were the first to be heard outside of royal prescence and played toward peasants. Beethoven was the start of romantic music, which was entirely about experimentation, feelings and awkwardness, even "heaviness"
well, that's certainly not true. beethoven was indeed classical. in many way he was the endgame of classical music. beethoven's late period bridges the gap between the classical and romantic eras. his 9th is particularly challenging to conduct precisely because it has one foot in the classical and one in the romantic.
as far as his living goes, he did indeed have many aristocratic patrons. he even dedicated string quartets to the musical prince who played cello http://www.musicteachermag.com/current/string_quartet.htm
as far as being the first to be heard by peasants, again i would dispute. consider that most of the classical masters preceding him wrote extensive church music, i would say that the commoners had a good chance of hearing mozart or haydn (or if they were lutheran bach) at mass.
I was comparing one or two things, not the entire person, and this is NOT, i repeat NOT hero worship of any kind

I also disagree with the Mozart reference, due to above statements.

Longinus said:
Am I the only one who would almost complete agree with it?

Mike is no Beethoven, but more like Mozart. Extremely talented, very gifted with his vocal styles and just overall pretty great.

I never really understood the hype about the classical musicians. Sure, they wrote some really complex music and were virtuosos at their instruments but so are Dream Theater.

The only one to possibly beat Mike is Gildenlöw, I just had to say it again.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this (because of lack of knowledge..) but Daniel is much, much more talented than any classical musician ever was.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

sorry mate but your post made my day. hahhaa