Mike's Dubious PP VIII Awards (x-post)

Sparky

New Metal Member
Aug 15, 2005
Cross-posting this to a few places. I mean, I thought about this for all of two minutes. For me, that’s a lot of work. So I had to share.

Best ‘Is that Corey Feldman?!?’ Moment:

Primal Fear’s guitar player

Best ‘Is that Peter Garrett, lead singer for Midnight Oil?!?’:

Again, Primal Fear

Best ‘WTF???’ Moment:

The creepy stripper

Saucy Englishman Award, contributing to the ‘WTF???’ Moment:

Damien Wilson. He may have VERY questionable taste, but he’s got balls the size of church bells, for sure.

Worst Result of the ‘WTF???’ Moment:

Lance King and his family literally running for the exit when creepy stripper came on. Felt bad for them. Not cool.

Violating Child Labor Laws:

Tie. Cummunic’s drummer, and After Forever’s bass player. Don’t you have to be at least 16 to play at PP?

Smiling Bassist Award:

Tie. Pagan’s Mind and Shane (Krucible). Both guys looked like they were in heaven the entire time they were on stage. Cool.

‘OH MY GOD! They’re actually going to play the whole song!’ Award:

Cellador and ‘Eye of the Tiger’. I think the audience was into it for like the first thirty seconds, fully expecting them to play it straight for about thirty seconds and then just blow it apart. Nope. Four + minutes of Survivor.

Only Thing More Painful than Four + Minutes of Survivor Award:

‘Desperado’. Followed closely by watching audience members sing along with it.

Sexiest Performer Award.

Floor. Or the singer for Sonata Arctica. Seriously, I GET girls swooning over the guy, but the ONLY reason I can find for the crowd’s love for this band is some SERIOUS man-crushes going on. The slow arm-waving to their mid-tempo stuff. GAY.

You’re Certainly Good, but Not As Good As You Think You Are Award:

Gus from Firewind.

You’re Certainly Good, and Better Than You Think You Are Award:

Pagan’s Mind’s guitarist.

‘It’s Tore Otsby!’ Award

Again Pagan’s Mind’s guitarist. Seriously, I overheard not once, but twice, ‘That’s Conception’s guitar player.’

Twisted Bastards and Beautiful Human Beings Award

Freak Kitchen. Nicest guys in the world. And the sickest.

Maybe I’ll think up more….

I disagree about Gus. He doesn't come off as arrogant. :p

No, I guess I just meant that he's hailed as like the Second Coming, or something, and he's great, but not THAT great. So it really has nothing to do with his ego - I don't mean to be unfair to the guy at all.

the other dude, Bob, wins instantly for shredding guitar and keyboard at the same time...

the other dude, Bob, wins instantly for shredding guitar and keyboard at the same time...

He actually told me how he does that and that's very simple, he just embellishes to make it look hard. Said he only plays out 3 or 4 notes simultaneously on each instrument, then adds a little body movement to make it look more difficult and interesting. He was laughing about it backstage with Gus and how it amazed everyone. I'm still impressed. :lol:

Gus IS that good. The set at PP barely scratched the surface of his talent. Watch some of his videos on YouTube and I think you'll see that he's ahead of the game.

I'm glad you clarified your statement, btw. He is so humble and polite! That's a nice change from some other great guitarists I've met lately :Smug: