Milwaukee Metalfest

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I just noticed that Milwaukee Metalfest is scheduled for the SAME weekend as Prog Power.

I know most of you probably find this fest a joke, esp these days, but it is near and dear to me, being in the midwest. So many awesome bands made their US debuts here.

Last year, it was canceled due to too much competition from other shows.

I am awaiting the announcement that, "This year canceled due to competition with Prog Power" :lol:

It was actually scheduled for the summer and then postponed till September. Of course, Jack didn't bother checking the date nor do I beleive it mattered as we are not in direct competition.

Glenn H.

I made sure when I rescheduled my show that we had enough distance between PP and Minneapolis Mayhem. I would not care if Milwaukee Metalfest was on my date. They Suck.

Harvester said:
It was actually scheduled for the summer and then postponed till September. Of course, Jack didn't bother checking the date nor do I beleive it mattered as we are not in direct competition.

Glenn H.

Oh I know and I agree with you. I just mean that Jack will probably use it as an excuse when he cancels the fest (Instead of stating the truth that the MM name is tainted and many bands won't even consider playing it).

I have read many bands naming their Milwaukee Metalfest performance as the worst shows of their careers.

As I said, I have gone a few times and enjoyed it as he brought many bands that I would not be able to see elsewhere. The issue is that he charges a zillion no-name bands $1000 each to play so he can fund the bigger bands he brings over.

So what does that mean for the attendees? Sitting through 40 or 50 no-name bands to see bands they "want" to see only get a 20 or 30 minute set.

I can't believe he flies over these bands to only let them play 5 songs.

I am with you Jasonic.... it was an okay gathering at one point. I had some good times at MMF and saw some awesome bands...but it has soured more and more and it would take alot to get me there even if it was a totally different month than PP.... Sad but true. For a while, he had something, but then others have out fested him.

Jasonic said:
I can't believe he flies over these bands to only let them play 5 songs.

There was a near riot in Jersey when Sentenced got to play three songs before the venue's curfew cut them off. Then again, having a curtain between two "stages" pretty much says all you need to say. Testament walked off because the monitors were awful...

These stories are commonplace with his "festivals". I won't attend them, and I won't pay to play at them.

Sentenced..... man, i never got to see them and i love them. now they are gone :zombie:

eaeolian said:
There was a near riot in Jersey when Sentenced got to play three songs before the venue's curfew cut them off. Then again, having a curtain between two "stages" pretty much says all you need to say. Testament walked off because the monitors were awful...

These stories are commonplace with his "festivals". I won't attend them, and I won't pay to play at them.

It always amazes me how these bands with really young kids pay $1000 to play the fest. I mean it is cool because it is exposure, but I am sure they take a bath on it (Though I am sure their parents front the cash). I think the bands get a certain number of tickets to sell to help recoup the cost. Good for me the attendee who buys a ticket for well under face value from one of the band members selling them for rock bottom on ebay.

It will be interesting to see if there is a Milwaukee Metalfest this year.

I figured I would post this here, since it is the same weekend as Prog Power, and therefore, PP might get a mention when the event is possibly canceled.

Jasonic said:
It always amazes me how these bands with really young kids pay $1000 to play the fest. I mean it is cool because it is exposure, but I am sure they take a bath on it (Though I am sure their parents front the cash). I think the bands get a certain number of tickets to sell to help recoup the cost. Good for me the attendee who buys a ticket for well under face value from one of the band members selling them for rock bottom on ebay.

It will be interesting to see if there is a Milwaukee Metalfest this year.

I figured I would post this here, since it is the same weekend as Prog Power, and therefore, PP might get a mention when the event is possibly canceled.

They would usually get 50-100 tickets to sell.

Best story I ever heard was from a guy that lives in Milaukee. He never attends the festival (smart man), but asks to go in and see what the vendors have!!!!!

ROTFL

BABS said:
Best story I ever heard was from a guy that lives in Milaukee. He never attends the festival (smart man), but asks to go in and see what the vendors have!!!!!

ROTFL

Yeah it doesnt seem like it is too hard to sneak into those shows.
They are still always a good time and I miss them.
I will admit that the vendors are quite the highlight for a collector junkie like me. Though the number of vendors has dwindled over the years.

I did buy one of my favorite shirts of all time at the fest - it is an Evil Dead 2 half shirt that I have worn to PP a time or two... back when I wore that kind of thing.

My only positive experience at MMF was seeing Jag Panzer & Primal Fear. Both were scheduled on the same day, and both actually played! Went one other time and I thought it was LAME! Not even worth driving an hour to....
JMHFO,

J-Dubya

I was at that one... was cool.. :)
the next year i saw Tad Morose there...

J-Dubya 777 said:
My only positive experience at MMF was seeing Jag Panzer & Primal Fear. Both were scheduled on the same day, and both actually played! Went one other time and I thought it was LAME! Not even worth driving an hour to....
JMHFO,

J-Dubya

No doubt there have been some amazing moments. 2002 had Jag Panzer, Vio-Lence, Exodus, Seven Witches. 2003 had Naglfar, Windir, and Enslaved (I am not a huge black metal fan, but it isn't easy to see those bands in the states).

They had a great thing going there. Too bad they could not keep it up.

eaeolian said:

Agreed... I was at that "fest" in New Jersey 6 years ago, and it was unbelievable... every time you'd think "now that's the stupidest thing I could possibly see this weekend", something even more retarded would happen. There were a few enjoyable moments... Doro put on a good show (though I later found out they only got paid $400 of the $4000 stated in their contract), Virgin Steele, since they had their own sound guy, managed to overpower the band on the other side of the curtain, and it was cool getting to see In Extremo before they vanished from the scene. But overall, I'd never even consider attending a Jack Koshick "fest" again, even if it was 5 miles from me and the ticket was $5. He may have had drawing power 5 - 10 years ago, but with all the bands and fans he's deceived, ripped off, and outright lied to over the years, and with the emergence of real, quality festivals like ProgPower, it's hard to believe a Koshick fest could draw any audience at all anymore.

So, I just have this stupid question: How come Jack Koshick is not currently organizing the Allenwood PowerFest or Leavenworth MetalFest? I mean, how has this man been able to spit in the face of the law for all these years?

Peace,
Ray C.

What law has Jack broken? There's no law against running a crappy festival.....but there probably should be. Eventually, though, the laws of the marketplace would win:

Crapfest --> loss of credibility in the scene --> less interest from fans and bands.

Pellaz said:
What law has Jack broken? There's no law against running a crappy festival.....but there probably should be. Eventually, though, the laws of the marketplace would win:

Crapfest --> loss of credibility in the scene --> less interest from fans and bands.

IN a nutshell, from what I have read on this board and in others, FRAUD! As in mail fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit immigration fraud. On the last one, Opeth mentioned that Koshick wanted them to get tourist visas for Milwaukee Metalfest. You can also add embezzlement and, quite possibly, racketeering. Christ, if the Feds wanted to, you could make a RICO case out of him.

Peace,
Ray C.

Does anyone even care about Milwaukee Metalfest anymore? I remember when this was the BIG Metal Festival where EVERYONE played. This fest has seemed to fizzle, especially after last year's collapsing. I'm sure it will fail this year as well. There is no contest if there was ever consideration of it. Progpower is THE festival.