MINDSPELL!!! can you translate this?

Album : Choirs of the Eye

Auteur : Florent Label : Tzadik

Alors que Maudlin of the Well nous avait confiné dans un infini émerveillement, voici que Kayo Dot reprend fièrement le flambeau là où le précédent groupe l’avait laissé. Soyons francs, les membres de Kayo Dot officiaient déjà presque pour la totalité dans l’autre maudite formation, et on ne peut que s’en réjouir à l’avance. Quoi donc de plus normal que ce groupe aussi atypique se retrouve maintenant sur le label de John Zorn.
La fibre doom metal est certes délaissé au profit d’un feeling jazzy bien plus posé et plus paisible, mais nous n’y perdons pas au change. Si souvent MotW fut comparé à Godspeed You Black Emperor en version prog metal, l’approche plus classique d’aujourd’hui les fait s’en rapprocher davantage. Les grosses guitares se font très discrètes, les growls ont disparus (hormis une légère poussée sur « the Antique ») au profit d’éclaircies limpides et complètes. Le chant féminin est encore présent, mais relativement furtif. Chacun des onze membres du groupe y va de son instrument pour précipiter l’immersion de l’auditeur. On se laisse alors flotter au gré des 56 minutes, contemplant les violons, trombones, synthés, flûtes et violoncelles nageant aux côtés des guitares.
Le parcours des chansons est toujours aussi tortueux. Empruntant des pistes étranges et inhabituelles, nous nous enfonçons subrepticement au plus profond de ces cinq compositions déroutantes et magnifiques. Qui pourrait prédire à la première écoute l’issue de ces morceaux ? L’écoute de cet album s’apparente à un rêve étrange. Sans sombrer dans le cauchemar, ce voyage onirique n’en est pas pour autant qu’une unique sensation apaisante et soyeuse. C’est résolument l’œuvre éclairée d’un groupe qui s’affirme, assumant avec passion son non-conformisme et son génie.

on aime aussi: Maudlin of the Well, Mister Bungle (Disco Volante)

umm, i'm not sure this is positive. my french is pretty good, if i do say so myself, and "assumant avec passion" means something along the lines of "assume the position".

While Maudlin of the Well confined us to an infinite wonderment, here comes Kayo Dot that successfully passes the torch at the exact same place where the previous band left us. Let's be frank, basically all the members of Kayo Dot were in the other damn group, and we can only be happy in advance. It is also quite normal for an atypical band like this to find itself on the label founded by John Zorn. The doom metal fibre is certainly left behind for a jazzy feel a lot more calm, but we don't lose anything in the process. If MotW were compared to Godspeed You Black Emperor in a prog metal version, the more classical approach here is closing the gap even more. The big guitars are a lot more sparse (that's not quite the word he used but tis close enough-ed), the growls vanished (except for a small push in the Antique) instead complete and limpid clearings. The feminine vocals are still present, but relatively furtive. Each of the eleven members of the band goes with his instrument to hurry the immersion of the listener. We then let ourselves float to the will of the 56 minutes, contemplating the violins, trombones, synths, flutes and cellos swimming with right beside the guitars. The path of the songs is as tortuous. Following strange and unusual trails, we get buried surreptitiously at the deepest of these five magnificent and diverting composition. Who could predict at the first listen the ending of one of these songs? The listen of this album is like a strange dream. Without falling into a nightmare, this oneiric voyage is not only an alleviating and silky sensation (that makes a lot more sense in french-ed). It is a very bright work of a band that is affirming itself, assuming with passion its non-conformity and its genious.

We also like: Maudlin of the Well, Mister Bungle (Disco Volante)

ok so mindspell, does that feminine imply they think there are actual female vocals on the record? or just female-like?

adding to Russell's mix: "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" by TMBG

Well it doesn't say explicitly that they are female vocals, but I think they mean that they are. I really can't say more than that because the text doesn't say more than that.

yeah GY!BE has never even come to my mind when listening to the kayo dot album, not to say I can't see where they're coming from at all, but it's kind of a lazy comparison, but then again I guess it's no big deal.