Minneapolis show

Triumphant Apostle

Disciple Of The Watch
Dec 8, 2001
St.Paul, MN
Visit site
I'll start this out by saying I've seen hundreds of shows in my lifetime, but this was the best show I've ever seen without question. First of all I had what I felt was the best seat in the venue because we had a reserved table on the balcony overlooking the band. They played the Damnation album PERFECTLY and the sound was incredible, I would love to have a bootleg of this show! I think one of the best parts about this was that I have never heard them play any of the songs they played before. The highlight of the evening for me was when they closed with Face Of Melinda. I've always wanted to hear that one live and it was just as fantastic as I thought it would be.
I got to meet Peter and Mikael during Porcupine Tree's set and they were both really cool. My wife told Mikael about us having Hope Leaves played at our wedding reception and he seemed genuinely surprised!
As far as Porcupine Tree, I only have In Absentia, and although I love that album I wasn't sure what to expect out of them live. They were fantastic and that performance tells me I need to pick up anything I can get by them! Every song they played, whether I knew it or not, was great. They played a new song called "Futile", that Wilson said has not even been released yet, and that was (as he said) their heaviest song of the night. The highlight of their set for me was the encore when they Played a perfect version of Wedding Nails. That is my favorite track on In Absentia and was even better live.
My only regret would be that we didn't bring our camera because we would have had some amazing pictures!

The setlist for Opeth (I know it's going to be pretty much the same as the other shows, but I may as well post it anyway!)
Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure (My personal favorite on Damnation and I loved how they extended the jam at the end.)
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Weakness
Benighted
To Bid You Farewell
Soldier Of Fortune
Face Of Melinda

It was a great show. I didn't get to meet them, but I got to chat with both the PT and Opeth guitar tech's b4 the show. Cool guys...they both laughed at the Minneapolis newspaper listing it as "Porcupine Teeth and Opeth" :loco:. I was very impressed by Opeth, even though I'll confess I like Damnation but a lot of the chord structures and vocal passages seem to repeat. Closure was incredible though. PT blew me away, I have seen them now 3 times and i must say this was their best, tightest performance. Really cool that The Fine Line seemed to get alot of folks to come as this was PT 1st show in Minnesota..hopefully not their last. I was actually standing upstairs as well, maybe I ran into to you Triumpant Apostle?..anyway great show, I want to pickup some more Opeth and the earlier PT as I only own the last 2 albums.

Kyle

Soundscape said:
It was a great show. I didn't get to meet them, but I got to chat with both the PT and Opeth guitar tech's b4 the show. Cool guys...they both laughed at the Minneapolis newspaper listing it as "Porcupine Teeth and Opeth" :loco:. I was very impressed by Opeth, even though I'll confess I like Damnation but a lot of the chord structures and vocal passages seem to repeat. Closure was incredible though. PT blew me away, I have seen them now 3 times and i must say this was their best, tightest performance. Really cool that The Fine Line seemed to get alot of folks to come as this was PT 1st show in Minnesota..hopefully not their last. I was actually standing upstairs as well, maybe I ran into to you Triumpant Apostle?..anyway great show, I want to pickup some more Opeth and the earlier PT as I only own the last 2 albums.

Kyle

I was sitting at one of the tables on the side of the bar closest to the stage with my wife. I had a Still Life shirt on. I kept yelling for them to play Harvest, which was the only one I was surprised that they didn't play.