Seattle show last night

Morfiend

Nov 7, 2002
Visit site
Last night's show at the Showbox in Seattle was fantastic. I can't really say which band was better because they were both flawless. Mikael joined Porcupine Tree on stage for a song, which was very cool. It was strange seeing him stand up and sing without a guitar, he looked lost *l* The drummer for PT is the best live drummer I've seen since Danny Carey and Steven is a terrific frontman. I really wish these guys would get more attention from the press, it's music like this that should be played on the radio.

Opeth played all of Damnation, in order just as expected. Hightlights of the set were probably Closure, Benighted, To Bid You Farewell and Face of Melinda. My only complaints about the show are that Opeth didn't play the Deep Purple cover or Still Day/Harvest and the fact that the crowd was rude at times (which I expected though). This was the last show of the tour and I'm sure both bands were tired but you can tell they left it all on stage. I picked up PT's XM Live CD at the show and listened to it this morning. It's limited to 1500 copies and the sound is crystal clear. I think PT played everything off of it at the show so it's a very nice memento that will get a ton of play. Anyway, thanks to both bands for probably the best concert I've been too.

It was a great show. Porcupine Tree was amazing. Opeth was incredible. I think that with extra time taken by PT to thank people on the tour, and the song done with Mikael, they had to cut the Deep Purple cover. Im guessing that they had a hard cutoff at 12:30. Either that or the 'prank' that Mikael was sure PT was going to play on them happened when they went off stage... I can imaging a tankard of beer over your head and a party to celebrate a fantastic tour ending might have won out over the encore. Looks like lots of great pics were taken by the guys with press passes. Hopefully they will get posted soon? I wish now that I had risked sneaking in my camcorder. It would have been easy, as they didnt even attempt to search anyone. Oh well, being front row center and catching a pick from John Westley made my day. Im just sad that as Mikael stated, it will be several years till they make it to Seattle again! I could really get used to seeing Opeth twice in one year with different set lists...

The show was great. I got a couple picks and a set list.

This is what Porcupine Tree played...
1. Blackest Eyes
2. Shes Moved On
3. Gravity Eyelids
4. Futile
5. Even Less
6. Slave
7. Fad Away
8. Hate Song
9. Russia On Ice
10. Smart Kid
11. Strip the soul
Leave stage.
E1. Wedding Nails
E2. Trains

Were you the guy standing next to me at the end who got the set list after the photo guy took a pic of it? Would love to get a scan of that set list if you wouldnt mind!

Nope. I was the guy in the blue button up shirt next to the guy in the Eminem shirt. I saw a roadie throw it at the garbage but missed so got it after the show.

I thought that guy was going to kill the camera guy.

damn, i wish i could have made it last night...oh well. how did shes moved on sound live? thats always been a favorite of mine.

I was at the Seattle show also. PT played a flawless set, but im not a big fan of their music.

Opeth did all of damnation (some parts were a bit slow, like 'weakness') and the crowd was a bit rude at times, but it's to be expected. Then Mikael played Benighted (ive been waiting for this one) and did a GREAT job. They then did To bid you farewell and Face of melinda, and those were probably the best 2 of the night.

Excellent show, and we almost got a bit of "black rose immortal". The drummer played the intro but mikael wasn't quite ready lol. Oh well.

Thx for the show opeth

That was an awesome show. PT played every song I wanted to hear and played em all amazingly. I was shocked when they went into Russia On Ice (how often do you get a 13min song live?). And Opeth was in top form as always. Two Opeth shows in a couple months, HELL YEAH! I also managed to snag the 7" of Still Day Beneath The Sun before the show at the Southgate Mall for just five dollars!

Anyone got any pictures from the show they could post? Or any form of a bootleg? There was someone I saw floating around with a camcorder, so there must be a video somewhere. And what was Opeth's set list? I don't remember it all. Just damn glad to have heard Face of Melinda!

Opeth's set list was - All of Damnation, Benighted, To Bid You Farewell, and Face of Melinda.

I was really glad PT opened with Blackest Eyes and closed with Trains, that was just perfect. Wedding Nails kicked all sorts of ass.

Yeah it was a great show and the best part was Mikael gave me his guitar pick after the show \m/

Edit: Best song of the night was closure

Yeah I really enjoyed myself at that show. I got there really early and met the Opeth guys again and this time had them sign my Damnation digipak. Also met Steven Wilson which was really cool! To Bid You Farewell was the highlight of the night for me.

I was there (wearing my tourshirt now), I was in the Symphony X shirt. I didn't care much for Porcupine Tree but they put on a good show. Opeth was simply amazing. I loved the extended version of closure. I wanted to strangle that guy who kept screaming "Morningrise!!!". Truly an amazing show.

Porcupine Tree SLAYED last night. I mean, they had the entire crowd into their show. In fact, I'd say at least 1/4 of the crowd left after they played. Their set was COMPLETELY FLAWLESS. I certainly hope they get more recognitiion in the States that they do now. The bassist and drummer were simply incredible, and Stephen's voice was superb. I picked up the XM cd for $25 - and it's already going for $50+ on Ebay.

It was great seeing Opeth last night play all of Damnation. That CD is SO wonderful. However, I have to post an honest review. Opeth's sound mix sucked my ass. PT's sound was PERFECT, and they were the damn opening band! During Opeth's set, Mikaels mic was way too low, and the bass was turned up way too loud. You could tell that they were playing their balls off, but it was far from perfect. It also almost seemed like much of the audience wasn't prepared for such a slowed down show. I mean, hardly anyone in front of the stage was even moving from Opeth's music.

It was very cool to see Mikael come out and sing a song with PT. His voice sounded great on that one, and later he commented something to the effect that that was the most nervous that he's ever been.

Anyway, it was a great night, regaurdless of Opeth's sound problems. PT made a bunch of new fans last night, and they certainly deserved it.

sandman

winter-frost said:
Yeah I really enjoyed myself at that show. I got there really early and met the Opeth guys again and this time had them sign my Damnation digipak. Also met Steven Wilson which was really cool! To Bid You Farewell was the highlight of the night for me.

Morfiend said:
I really wish these guys would get more attention from the press, it's music like this that should be played on the radio.

They get a lot of attention in the UK. PT is played on the radio a lot. Especially In Absentia.

I was one of the dudes with the photo passes, got some killer shots and will be posting some here as soon as I am done with my photos/review from Dream Theater/Queensryche the night before.

I am kicking myself in the ass for giving away what I thought was the set list at the end of Opeth's set!!! I took a photo of it beforehand to assist with my review and found out today it was hand written lyrics for one of the songs, not sure which though!!!

"Come...
Here you'll be gone
So far away from our weakn' crumbling..."

And so on.

Pics should be posted on Thursday or Friday :)

It was great. PT was absolutely AWESOME! I was so glad they played Shesmovedon, and their guitarist did a good job singing Fadeaway.

If anyone wonders who I was, remember when the bassist for PT threw something into the crowd at the end of their set? He threw it right at me, however I failed to even make an attempt the catch it or pick it up off the floor. I'm so stupid. Anyway, it was just the PT setlist, I think. Fun night.

Mortado said:
I was one of the dudes with the photo passes, got some killer shots and will be posting some here as soon as I am done with my photos/review from Dream Theater/Queensryche the night before.

I am kicking myself in the ass for giving away what I thought was the set list at the end of Opeth's set!!! I took a photo of it beforehand to assist with my review and found out today it was hand written lyrics for one of the songs, not sure which though!!!

"Come...
Here you'll be gone
So far away from our weakn' crumbling..."

And so on.

Pics should be posted on Thursday or Friday :)

Right on
From what I saw you took an ass load of pictures.

what's the seating arrangement like at the showbox? was everyone standing or were there chairs. ive never been there before.