Misheard Lyrics

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
Ok so here is a winner for you all. As I was first listening to Imaginaerum, during "The Crow, The Owl, and The Dove" i could have swore he was singing "got to quiver. got to lick it". I was like, WHAT?! Even now, knowing the real lyrics ("got to grieve her, got to wreck it", I still can mistake "wreck it" for "lick it" if I am not actively paying attention.

Oh, yeah, I misheard a lot of things in Imaginaerum:

In Song of Myself instead of "Guilded beaches" I understood "Guildy bitches" and "Rust in Peace without the Lord" instead of "Rusted keys without a door" (I was like, WTF, Megadeth reference? °_° )
In I want my tears back I still refuse to hear "A ballet on a grove" instead of "A barley, a murkrow" (pokemon love!)

The only misheard lyric that I heard while listening to Imaginaerum was in "Ghost River" when I heard "toxic gas" instead of "toxic kiss". I was off by one word there. I knew something wasn't right when I heard "toxic gas", so I looked up the lyrics on the official site and it turns out I was wrong.

As for previous albums, I've heard "Final Fantasy" in the lyrics for "Nightquest". "Final Fantasy" is an RPG video game series, with over 10 games in the main series, plus a few games that are spin-offs from the main series.

And of course, there's the famous misheard lyrics from "Wishmaster", which I've heard some weird stuff from.

When "Storytime" came out, I thought that she sang "took a journey into a childless heart" and then I read it on the Internet too so I was convinced it was "childless" LOL.

In 'I Want My Tears Back' I could've sworn Anette sang, "Where's the truck that takes me there" in the chorus. No idea that Tuomas was a trucker kinda guy, but... :lol:

I think that there are less misinterpreted lyrics when Anette is singing, she has such a clear voice, but Tuomas doesn't make it easy for her cramming a 100 words in each sentence...

Even now, knowing the real lyrics ("got to grieve her, got to wreck it", I still can mistake "wreck it" for "lick it" if I am not actively paying attention.

I just got my copy of Imaginaerum (thanks Michele!), and these are not the real lyrics either.

The lyric book says the lyrics are this: "Gar tuht river, ger te rheged". I have no idea what language this is, but since this is Troy's vocal part, I'm assuming it's maybe Welsh, Celtic, Gaelic, or Irish? Anyone know for sure?

On Song of Me I heard "sun bathing on a cold frozen lake" the first time around, instead of "sun bathing on it's dead frozen leaves" and on Last Ride of the Day, I still hear "such a terrible ride" instead of "such an incredible high."

I just got my copy of Imaginaerum (thanks Michele!), and these are not the real lyrics either.

The lyric book says the lyrics are this: "Gar tuht river, ger te rheged". I have no idea what language this is, but since this is Troy's vocal part, I'm assuming it's maybe Welsh, Celtic, Gaelic, or Irish? Anyone know for sure?

According to some info I found on Tumblr - it's Cumbric which is a variation of Welsh in some way. It's a dead language, but someone said it translated into "go to the river, you'll come to a fairly land". Once again my source is TUMBLR.. so I'm not at all sure. Definitely something I wouldn't mind hearing the band clear up.

Quote from tumblr:
"this is in Cumbric. I tried translating it and came up with ‘Go to the river, You’ll come to a fairyland’. this is just a guessing based on pure logic but somewhat confirmed by a native Cumbrian."

A further post by the same person suggests:
"have a look: gar is Cumbric for go. tuht as told by a native Cumbrian is ‘to the’ and a river.

then goes the total guessing: ger could be a kind of a tense for gar, te - to and Rheged is an ancient kingdom. written in lowercase it could mean a generalized fairyland, like a Shangri-La or whatever."

Desi: Sounds like we have a question for the band in January!
tu.gif

Lurking on the *new* official NW forum.. Carol (of Tuomas' official website) actually posted about this a little while ago. Someone was asking the same question about the Cumbrian and she said she asked Tuomas. He replied with: "It`s a secret incantation, an ancient water ritual of regeneration and purification." I wonder if he would say anything different if asked again? I'm sure the question will float around a lot.

That's what I get for being lazy and just going to Darklyrics without making sure they had it straight (as they often times don't). Usually just finding stuff like this online pays off. This time, not so much hehe.