Mix advice please! Death Metal - first time using Trigger (K, snare blend)..

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Here is a track from a project I'm working on at the moment.
Pretty straightforward death metal. I was going for a more old-school DM sound. Kick sound kinda throws that off from the start but am happy with the snare/tom sounds and gat sounds - think they work well.

Here is the track - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14207020/Septic.mp3

Kick is completely sample. Snare is mainly mics (B57A on top, e604 on bottom) but has a touch of sample in the background for a little more attack.
Toms have Trigger on them as well as mics, MD421 on each. Samples were made from the kit for trigger and processed quite a bit prior to being mixed in with the original mic tracks.

Gats are quad-tracked. Two tracks are 6505+ with a 509, 57 on axis and 57 off axis. Two are a horrible Ibanez Tone Blaster with 421, 57 on and 57 off.

Bass was miked with a 421 as well as DIs taken before the amp and from the back of the head. Pretty nasty Warwick head with some cheap distortion pedal.

Vox were done on a Rode NT2. Never liked this mic. Just bought a SM7B but the vocal tracking was done before it arrived..

Anyway, the band is stoked with most of this mix. I personally don't like how the vocals sit in the mix. Seem to sit on top and have too much bottom end making them stick out like a sore thumb. If I try take more low end out it thins them up too much and they sound worse.

Not too stoked with the kick sound either, this was done very quickly and I hadn't yet had a chance to play around with Trigger or any of the samples that came with it. May have to tweak that too..

Any thoughts/recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.