Mix Suggestions (Mesa Mark IIC+)

gibson5413

May 25, 2005
I just started working on covering The Drapery Falls from Opeth. I am not looking to sound like the original per se. Any suggestions from your perspective? I am trying to get guitar tones and mixing levels together. I left the gain fairly low on the rhythm guitars on purpose. Should I give them a bit more juice? I was trying to retain some clarity with this approach. Used SSD 3 and recorded the bas direct with my SansAmp Bass Driver DI. I like the lead tone so far.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/96-The Drapery Falls (rough).mp3

The lead tone is very fitting, but the rhythm guitar tone is lacking some depth and thickness. I would raise up the drums as well. The lead tone in this song should be sitting back quite a bit, but still be audible.

Very good playing dude, love the bass in this song. I think you should spend more time on the drums, they sound a bit dry, more reverb would help. And like lolzgreg said more depth to the rhythm guitars.

The lead tone is very fitting, but the rhythm guitar tone is lacking some depth and thickness. I would raise up the drums as well. The lead tone in this song should be sitting back quite a bit, but still be audible.

Very good playing dude, love the bass in this song. I think you should spend more time on the drums, they sound a bit dry, more reverb would help. And like lolzgreg said more depth to the rhythm guitars.

Thanks guys! I turned down the gain considerably for the rhythm (don't know why). I also forgot to pull the "Deep/Gain" knob. Thickens things up quite a bit. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the amp. I do like the lead tone I was able to dial in. My favorite I have ever had.