Weak DI tone, need suggestions

Logshreds

Logshreds
Mar 24, 2011
LA
First post on here, reading this forum has been valuable in the past for my recordings however. I'm trying to dial up a chunky metal tone that has enough gain so that breakdowns and leads don't sound silly.

I'm using Guitar Rig 3 (the best thing I could get my hands on short of a podfarm for amp sims) and a small chain of effects pedals into an digidesign mbox 2.

The pedals included are a electroharmonix metal muff with top boost, a boss super-overdrive, a boss compression sustainer, and a noise suppressor. (i was very naive when I bought all those boss pedals, i know)

I'm recording into Logic, and am trying to do some work for a friend by recording demos for his band, but am also trying to produce some original work that sounds halfway decent. My current tone is in need, as you can hear

The pedals are more of a sidenote since everyone has a different setup, I'm looking more for suggestions on how the tone could be improved, different techniques/settings, whatever you've got. And I know amp sims are nothing compared to a mesa boogie triple rectifier running into a marshall cab with a sm57 mic'ing it, its just what I have access to right now.

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When recording, a soloed guitar will almost never sound cool enough on its own. You need the bass, a real chunk of wood or a synth line to complete the sound spectrum. Get a friend to record you something or use a VSTi. So it's hard to judge your sound now, but for starters, the current one might be too distorted for my liking.

Agreed, the distortion was too heavy on that selection. I'm going to do my best to post a completed song with the elements mixed properly and see what the forum thinks of the tone. Thank you for your input!

I would begin by removing the pedals, keep the chain as short and as simple as possible, as with amp sims it becomes easy to overanalyze everything. I would suggest downloading lecab 2 as well as lolzgreg's impulse.

Also you must realize how crucial every single element is to creating a good mix. If the drums don't sound good, the guitar's won't either, even with the best tone ever.

thank you for the comment! I'll remove the pedals and try downloading those programs. and as for the elements of a mix factor, that is very true, i was mixing for my friends band and had a hell of a time mixing their great guitar tone and good bass playing because of midi drums and too much natural reverb on the vocals

It's also hard to judge the "chunk" factor in this clip because you're not really doing any chunky rhythm stuff bro. Throw in some palm mutes as well so we can get a better sense of your tone in different picking styles.

I've just gotten a mixing board with some improved preamps so I'm going to rerecord the tone and see what you guys think. and to thricefan, I'll add in some palm muting segments for good measure