Mix: Work In Progress (Children of Bodom)

Ben Johnson

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jan 17, 2006
Chicago
I got my Roland JV2080 (synth module), and what better way to test it out than with a song from Follow the Reaper?:heh:

I used Black Neon Bob's kick and snare + master bus settings. By the time I got to adding the bass, everything was running so choppy, I just said fuck it and tried to track it as quickly and painlessly as possible. Listening to it now without all the horrible lag, I can hear the bass is way to muddy sounding...

How does everything else sound? This was a 100% headphone mix, btw.:oops:

EDIT: new and improved post complete with link! Everytime I Die

EDIT 2: Update - Free Mp3 Hosting, Free Music Hosting, Dj Sets, Free Music Downloads, Music Forums, More...

I should also add that there are a couple tom hits in there, and you'll probably notice that they're 100% raw. There were so many plugins going on already, I didn't think the computer could tolerate any more. So just try to ignore that. ;)

sounds pretty badass dude. in some parts i felt like i was listening to the actual version of the song. cant really tell you much about the bass cus im listening to it through my computer speakers but in general it sounds awesome :headbang:

sounds pretty badass dude. in some parts i felt like i was listening to the actual version of the song. cant really tell you much about the bass cus im listening to it through my computer speakers but in general it sounds awesome :headbang:

Thanks for listening man. As far as sounding like the real version, it's probably the synth - I was surprised at how easy it was to nail all those sounds (with a little patch tweaking).

Well goddamn, that sounds great dude!

Really, REALLY loving the synth sound.

Snare could use a bit of work, but the rest sounds great.

What'd you use on the guitars? They sound pretty darn close to the original, at least from what I remember.

Also, the guitar playing was top notch - you play it more cleanly than Alexi!

Haven't really listened too much to COB, but I really liked the playing! Guitar tone was cool, the heavy rhythm chunk could have had a bit more balls, but the lead lines had a nice Queensryche sort of sound to them.

But really, really great playing. When can we hear some originals?

-0z-

Well goddamn, that sounds great dude!

Really, REALLY loving the synth sound.

Snare could use a bit of work, but the rest sounds great.

What'd you use on the guitars? They sound pretty darn close to the original, at least from what I remember.

Also, the guitar playing was top notch - you play it more cleanly than Alexi!

Hey, thanks! More clean than Alexi? I'm not so sure about that...:oops:

For guitars I'm using an ESP SV (EMG 81 & PA-2 boost) into a Lee Jackson GP-1000 preamp. I guess I'm a little bit of a Bodom fan. :lol: The GP-1000 goes into a PodXT for cab simulation (Matchless 2x12) for 2 rhythm tracks, panned 75% L & R. I'm using a touch of BBE Sonic Maximizer, Sneap-tacular C4, and Waves TrueVerb (a tweaked "rock guitar room" setting). The other 2 rhythm tracks are direct GP-1000 and a mix of Splatt88's impulse responses (can't recall which ones exactly), panned 100% L & R with another touch of TrueVerb "rock guitar room". The lead track is direct with impulse responses and another reverb plugin. That's about it I think.

Haven't really listened too much to COB, but I really liked the playing! Guitar tone was cool, the heavy rhythm chunk could have had a bit more balls, but the lead lines had a nice Queensryche sort of sound to them.

But really, really great playing. When can we hear some originals?

-0z-

Haha. Thanks! Most people are turned off by the vox, but I'm a big fan of the music.

I'm still writing a few things, but I don't feel that my playing is 100% yet. I could "DragonForce" my way through recording a song, but I want to be able to play it live too, to record it with "honesty," if you know what I mean.

Like is said on HC, this kicks some mean ass, Ben!

Do you have that COB kick sample b.t.w.? you could try and blend that one in as well a bit for fun...

Like is said on HC, this kicks some mean ass, Ben!

Do you have that COB kick sample b.t.w.? you could try and blend that one in as well a bit for fun...

Thanks again, Bob.:cool: Yeah, I think I've got that sample somewhere. I'm not quite sure I know how yo blend more than one sample though. Would I have to apply another drumagog plugin on the kick channel?

Thanks again, Bob.:cool: Yeah, I think I've got that sample somewhere. I'm not quite sure I know how yo blend more than one sample though. Would I have to apply another drumagog plugin on the kick channel?

Yeah... drumagog would do just fine, IF you have the RAM and CPU for it though... i can only use three or four instances of drumagog, or else nuendo tends to fuck up...

What i do is use aptrigga after drumagog for multiple sampling on drums... im mixing a band now, and i used 3 samples on the kick, and 3 samples on the snare... 4 instances of aptrigga and the CPU is still pretty low!

Aptrigga is only 30-40 bucks and works like a charm... a must buy if your in the same position as i am...

Yeah... drumagog would do just fine, IF you have the RAM and CPU for it though... i can only use three or four instances of drumagog, or else nuendo tends to fuck up...

What i do is use aptrigga after drumagog for multiple sampling on drums... im mixing a band now, and i used 3 samples on the kick, and 3 samples on the snare... 4 instances of aptrigga and the CPU is still pretty low!

Aptrigga is only 30-40 bucks and works like a charm... a must buy if your in the same position as i am...

I have a dual 3ghz Xeon setup and 2gig ram - they're not dual core, but it's still a pretty fast system. Plus, I tend to leave all the DFH velocities on "hard", which frees up quite lot of memory. But I think part of the reason I'm having troubles with choppy playback is due to the fact that my "borrowed" copy of Nuendo is so hacked and cracked or whatever, it's causing poor performance. I'll be purchasing Cubase very soon hopefully, so all will be well.

I'll have to look more into this aptrigga thing - I wonder though, why it can't be used instead of using drumgagog at all? Or better yet, why can't Toontrack be nice and let us throw our own samples in their VST? :(