Mix: Work In Progress (Children of Bodom)

Are you using DFHS? It's beyond me why people don't just bounce off the drums from the sampler, its so much better doing that and means you don't have to use that CPU heavy VSTi while you mix.

I've never been able to get the bounce function to work; I'd always end up with huge wav files with only one drum hit in the very beginning! Also, I tend to enjoy being able to control and change EVERYTHING from start to finish.

I've tried bouncing a mixed drum track and working with it, but I always end up wanting to tweak something in the drum mix after I've moved onto something else.

OK, just an idea as it would save you a ton of CPU processing. If you bounce the close hits seperate from the bleed fom that mic, you can adjust the bleed in the mix. I think I remember Kenny Lee posting that you are using DFHS to a fuller potential by bouncing it off. Anyway, your mix sounds great can't wait to hear the final version.

Just one little thing: Shouldn't the lead bit at the start be panned centrally and the right guitar plays the rhythm too?

OK, just an idea as it would save you a ton of CPU processing. If you bounce the close hits seperate from the bleed fom that mic, you can adjust the bleed in the mix. I think I remember Kenny Lee posting that you are using DFHS to a fuller potential by bouncing it off. Anyway, your mix sounds great can't wait to hear the final version.

Just one little thing: Shouldn't the lead bit at the start be panned centrally and the right guitar plays the rhythm too?

Thanks for the info. I really should try to figure out how to bounce again. Now that I recall, I got it to work ONCE when I first got DFHS, but never again since then. I'll give it another try...

As for the mix, I'm just trying to cop the real version. Hell, I was listening to the original song with a PAZ, cutting and boosting very specific frequencies to make mine sound more like it. One thing I've noticed about the COB albums is that they rarely record something that can't be possibly played live with two guitarists (their current playing skills are another story...), so sometimes, they'll have the guitars doing harmonies with no rhythm guitar underneath, and there are quite a few lead parts that are accompanied only by the other guitarist playing rhythm on the opposite side of the stereo array, as heard in the beginning of this clip.

So once again, I'm basically just trying to copy the original. Sure, it's not being very creative, but I'll have plenty of time to do that when I'm doing my own originals.

You're missing a lot of synth's at the start, either that, or they're so quiet that i can't hear them

Yeah, I realize now that I was playing that keyboard part wrong. I think it's supposed to be single notes (not chords) and an octave higher. If I decide to record the rest of the song, I'll redo it.

Yeah man, all the keyboard tabs for that song are wrong. I have a GP-1000 preamp as well, PM me your msn/aim if you have either. Thanks.

decide to do the whole song!
and could you please explain the last whammy action
at the beginning ? which strings do you tap and how ?

Yeah man, all the keyboard tabs for that song are wrong. I have a GP-1000 preamp as well, PM me your msn/aim if you have either. Thanks.

Yeah, I know you have a GP, dude - I decided to pull the trigger and buy one after hearing one of your clips a long time ago. :kickass:

I'm not spending a lot of time online these days, so I don't use any IM. I usually jump online, check some stuff, and I'm off after about 10 minutes...

Shit man, you bought one cos of me? lol. Yeah, I was a Bodom freak, at one point, I had Alexi's complete setup for Hate Crew Deathroll, but with a 2x12 instead of a 4x12. Reason I asked about IM, was to compare settings and stuff, as I'd still like the use the GP every now and again. Gotta love the lead tone :D

Shit man, you bought one cos of me? lol. Yeah, I was a Bodom freak, at one point, I had Alexi's complete setup for Hate Crew Deathroll, but with a 2x12 instead of a 4x12. Reason I asked about IM, was to compare settings and stuff, as I'd still like the use the GP every now and again. Gotta love the lead tone :D

Yeah, I haven't found lead tone like this on anything else; an ADA MP-1 is probably pretty close though. I really like that the rhythm and the lead tone sound good with the exact same settings - you really can set it and forget it. Anyway, here are my settings for this clip:

Volume: maxed
Distortion: maxed
Treble: maxed
Mid: 12:00
Midshift: off
Bass: pulled, 10:00
Master: 8:00

As you've probably heard many times over since you are/were COB fan, the pickup boost really makes the GP shine. If you don't have a PA-2 or JE-1000 in your guitar, the GP won't sound that great for metal.

I hear they're making a GP-1000 pedal, to be revealed at NAMM/Musikmesse later on. It's apparently exactly the same as the rack version, packed into a pedal. Alexi will be endorsing, although I don't see a reason why he'd need a pedal, unless they start playing songs with clean parts. :confused: And the cleans on the GP are horrifically bad anyway...

sounds awesome man, only thing i noticed is the guitars might be a little too trebbly and also not bassy enough, or maybe the bass track just needs to be turned up. other than that it sounds spot on, nice job