Mixing as one giant session, Or individual song sessions

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
what do you do and why?

what are the pros and cons of each

i am finding it FAR more easier to mix as one giant session,

I prefer one giant session to get everything the same without having to import session data between songs and so forth, and then automate the differences between tracks for different overdubs and whatnot.

I remember I asked the same thing to Jacob Hansen and Tue Madsen.
Jacob used to use a single session in the past, but now he does a session per song.
Tue one single session.
In my opinion, each of this methods has its own pro and cons. A single session is very usefull because when you mix a song you mix the whole album, but the automation becomes a pain in the ass. Different sessions are very annoying because of the settings import.

I record everything as one album session, get my main mixing done and then make a seperate session copy for the individual songs with full automation etc.

Importing session data is a pain in the ass I think.

I'd be interested to hear what advantages people think there are to doing it in seperate sessions.

1 session per song. Just the way I've always done it. However, I'm in the process of mixing and album I didn't record and I'm thinking about dumping it all into one session....

I like to do one session per song, as it allows me to focus on the song and the direction that it should take.

I don't think that I'll ever mix to have a "stable" result through the record unless it's required by the record company. I always want to mix for the songs benefit.

I prefer one session per song. It's easier for me when it comes to managing markers, automation, tempo changes, etc.

It only takes like 45 seconds to import session data using PTHD so that's never been a big deal to me.

It only takes like 45 seconds to import session data using PTHD so that's never been a big deal to me.

Same here, but with Logic 8 (probably same in 9). You can copy over the session data with little problems, and it takes like 20 seconds.

That is if you've not saved a template of the "rough" tracks that you'll use - and add delete as required.

Live recordings/single session recordings usually in one big session, works ok unless I need to do loads of processing.

Ive found that session per song usually works out as a better (but less consistent) mix.

Ryan if you are using Reaper, just keep every single song open as Project Tabs and you can easily copy and paste between projects, or use the SWS Extensions Snapshot function to copy a mix snapshot from one session and paste it into another, matching up the tracks just like you'd import session data in PTHD.

I just make a template of the mix session I am happy with, remove the automation and any song-specific fx, etc. Open a new project in Cubase and select that template, import wavs and check a thing or two, do the automation for that track and move on to the next.

The big disadvantage to multiple sessions to me is that I can never make up my mind on final mixing details until the very end, so it would be a nightmare to constantly go back and update all the other songs after the inevitable changes I would keep making when I moved on; I suppose that's just where experience comes in (as well as making sure the mix of one song is as good as it can be before moving on, though I dunno, I like being able to jump to others to get some perspective)