Mixing as one giant session, Or individual song sessions

The big disadvantage to multiple sessions to me is that I can never make up my mind on final mixing details until the very end, so it would be a nightmare to constantly go back and update all the other songs after the inevitable changes I would keep making when I moved on; I suppose that's just where experience comes in (as well as making sure the mix of one song is as good as it can be before moving on, though I dunno, I like being able to jump to others to get some perspective)

Project Tabs and SWS Snapshots d00d. Dig deep into Reaper, program is amazing.

I do a session per song. I get a general mix on one song then save mixer settings and import in to the rest of songs and tweek to taste. I do this because I have had on many occasions where my session would become corrupted or something funky happens to it and I cant recover. This maybe due to a bad sector on the hd that the session resides. I would rather have just one song that cant be recovered than a whole album. However if you make nightly backups of your sessions this can be thwarted.

Also I have tried one big session and found it a pain in the ass when editing the time signature on a particular song. The following songs get all fucked and out of align by how much you have changed the signature in the previous song.

I do one big session for most metal stuff where it's the same guitar sound/drum sound/etc for the whole project. Any other style of music it doesn't really work for me.

I have tried to separate sessions for metal but importing session data seems to be limited in Protools LE which makes it a huge pain.

one session for tracking/rough mix then split up for the dirty automation and tons of group channel routing that i do

I went from one giant session to one session/song. I use Cubase 5 and all I have to do is to create a template file with every track I could need for the band I´m recording. Then I record every song with that template file. Later I mix one song, save the mixer and use it on all other songs. Tweak to taste.

depends on the band, type of music, and how many songs.

if its just a 2 song demo. OFC its going to be one session.
if its acoustic music, one session (i mean CPU shouldnt be a problem)

I might try to do half an album in one session then the other half in another session.
been thinking about that for a while now.

ima have to test it out.

I like to do one song per project because I can stick markers on every riff- and tempochange without losing overview... If I´d do that on a all-songs-in-one-project-project I wouldn´t know where one song ends and the other begins because I´d have 1000000 markers^^

If I do it in one project, I can always jump to marker 1 (which sits at bar 0) and I´m at the beginning of the song^^

I've never really thought about doing it like that
do you track all the songs in one session aswell? or track each to its own session then bring them all into one?
I suppose it could get consistent results. I may have to start doing this on my own stuff :D

Just switched to doing one song per session because the stuff I'm doing now needs it, though I still do like one huge session if everything is consistent all the way through.

This album I'm doing now has around 50 (stereo) tracks of keys per song, and pretty much all of the synth sounds are specifically made for the songs and aren't used in the other tracks. Those plus around 10-15 backing things like electronic drums etc. would make the track count insane, so it has to be one session per song.

I went from one giant session to one session/song. I use Cubase 5 and all I have to do is to create a template file with every track I could need for the band I´m recording. Then I record every song with that template file. Later I mix one song, save the mixer and use it on all other songs. Tweak to taste.

+1

Although lately in addition to a basic template file for each song in the project, I seperate out each groups channel/mixer settings (drums, guitars, bass, vocals, misc. fx/synths, etc.) and usually import them into the template file, as I try to keep track count as tidy as possible, so each song may have a different track count (usually in regards to FX tracks), but importing the mixer settings for each group keeps it consistent without changing the routing if the track numbers aren't consistent. I don't like the idea of open or unused tracks per session. If they aren't used, I don't want them there. It's just as easy to import each group as it is all at once, just takes a few extra seconds.

As it stands now, I still can't create track or plugin presets, so I've come to rely on saving channel and mixer settings to take the place of track presets and plugin presets anyway...I hope this is resolved when the 5.5 update rolls out this summer.

i would track in all diffrent sessions but when it came down to mixing, i'd export the midi (for the tempos) and consolidate all the drums and whatnot etc, why would it take up more cpu? its just a longer wave file for it

i would track in all diffrent sessions but when it came down to mixing, i'd export the midi (for the tempos) and consolidate all the drums and whatnot etc, why would it take up more cpu? its just a longer wave file for it

I guess if you had a bajillion different tracks for different layers and stuff that only popped up in certain songs it'd be an issue (as each track would have a bunch of plugins) - still, consolidating similar stuff onto tracks is easy enough with automation IMO!

I guess if you had a bajillion different tracks for different layers and stuff that only popped up in certain songs it'd be an issue (as each track would have a bunch of plugins) - still, consolidating similar stuff onto tracks is easy enough with automation IMO!

I don't know how effective it is, I haven't spend much time in it yet, but I believe Cubase 5 backgrounds unused plugins to alleviate this issue somewhat.

Project Tabs and SWS Snapshots d00d. Dig deep into Reaper, program is amazing.

SWS Snapshots FOR THE FUCKING WIN. Sure, it crashes sometimes, like once every 4-5 songs that I import settings too but it's still SOOOOOOO much faster than saving FxChains for each track manually. I can't believe Cockos hasn't developed something like this into REAPER earlier. I'm really glad SWS did though.

Regarding Project Tabs, that doesn't work very well for me. I'm using Win XP so my RAM is limited by the 32-bit system. Each of my songs use about 800-1200 mb RAM for me. REAPER crashes after opening 3-4 songs :) If I had like 12gb of RAM with 64-bit... yum, that'd be nice.

Jamie King who mixed Between The Buried and Me, TTEOTD, GLASS CASKET and more told me that he likes to do it all in one session.

I however am a pro tools user and do one song per a session. As long as im consitent with my track names importing session data never bugs me. I do so many changes to my mixes that I would hate to be stuck with automation from one song. Also each song sometimes gets unique effects and id run out of busses if I did it with just one session for the whole album. Im using pro tools LE still lol