Mixing orchestral

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
Hey guys,

We're making a demo with my band and we want an orchestral intro piece for the beginning of the demo. I've already pretty much composed it, it's mostly EWQL Silver but the choirs are Logic.

I feel this might not be the first place to ask for some pointers on how to mix orchestral music but I'm sure some of you have worked on something in the vein of this piece before or at least mixed a band that has lots of keyboards in their music.

So how do you think I should come around mixing this? I think some people don't really do much anything to orchestral music but add a compressor with light settings to the master, but there's so many tracks in this thing that things definitely go left under each other. I guess it should be pretty much as dynamic as it gets?

I don't particularily want to overdo the mixing process either, if that's even possible.

Here's a short clip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2314572/chaotech_intro_clip_1.wav

Any pointers/tips will be appreciated!

boost the highs a bit at 10K for strings to increase the accent - if your mixing cello's do a low/mid cut on a 31 band to cut the muddiness out of the mix - you dont want to compress your strings too much but if your mixing horns into the mix then do some heavy compression because by nature they are louder more "in your face" styled instruments.

if its a dry string mix try saturate it with some slight hall reverb