Mixing whole albums

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
When you're done recording and it gets time for mixing do you have each song in a seperate project file or everyone in the same?

For our demo I had one project file for each tune. This was a real hassle since I had to copy the settings from one song to another, a big time stealer. It must be simpler doing the rough mix on the entire album in one file and then do some automation when needed.

Save your presets and load them in in each song you need them in, if you want consistency. I prefer to keep the songs separate for clarity and organization's sake, as well as the fact that oftentimes I'm mixing stuff that shouldn't necessarily all sound the same throughout the entire record.

I use Clippings in Digital Performer to store whole sets of plugin settings at once. Apparently their new V-Rack feature is even better for this, but I have yet to try it.

I'm mixing a bands 10 song demo right now... it's a pain in the ass especially since the drums were recorded in 4 different sessions (tearing down the mics each time) and the guitars in about 8 different sessions, so everything is different to a degree (and sometimes a few degrees). And they want no sample replacement on anything even though the drum set was pretty bad, the top skin on the floor tom had a hole in it....

SPLASTiK said:
I'm mixing a bands 10 song demo right now... it's a pain in the ass especially since the drums were recorded in 4 different sessions (tearing down the mics each time) and the guitars in about 8 different sessions, so everything is different to a degree (and sometimes a few degrees). And they want no sample replacement on anything even though the drum set was pretty bad, the top skin on the floor tom had a hole in it....
sometime's bands don't know what's good for them.. but you know what's bad for you.. my advice is do replacement anyway and don't tell them

James Murphy said:
sometime's bands don't know what's good for them.. but you know what's bad for you.. my advice is do replacement anyway and don't tell them

*cough*Already did*cough* :D

Well I blended in samples with the toms and snare, kept the kick, I thought it sounded good. It was one of those hardcore anti-trigger, anti-sound replacement people. I understand it and if you can get away with not doing it that's awesome but if it sounds like shit...

Exsanguis said:
Save your presets and load them in in each song you need them in, if you want consistency. I prefer to keep the songs separate for clarity and organization's sake, as well as the fact that oftentimes I'm mixing stuff that shouldn't necessarily all sound the same throughout the entire record.

True, that's why I mentioned automation though.
But saving settings. Yeah sure, did that, don't want to spend time loading plugins, inserting setting etc. for each song. it must be easier to copy every track to a new big project for mixing.

James Murphy said:

Sometimes ago I recorded a non-metal band sounding like alanis morissette (4girls and 1guitarist). They were not bad, but the drummer was a beginner. Since the drums were always primitive 4/4 it was not a big problem. But she couldn't play hihat! So I programmed the whole drums...

ThomasT said:
Sometimes ago I recorded a non-metal band sounding like alanis morissette (4girls and 1guitarist). They were not bad, but the drummer was a beginner. Since the drums were always primitive 4/4 it was not a big problem. But she couldn't play hihat! So I programmed the whole drums...

ahem.

4 GIRLS and 1 guitarist? *lol*
what did the girls do? :p