Mixing with VCC

Headof75

Somewhere in Brum
Jun 16, 2008
So, whenever I use VCC in a mix at the moment I always start off wanting to use the 4k but always end up using the Neve, because it just plain sounds better.

I seem to prefer a different console every month... When I started out using the program, it was all about the SSL for me on most things, and api on guitars. Barely used the neve because of the quick mud buildup, and never ever used the trident. I think I even asked in some thread what the point of that thing was.

Now I use the trident channel almost exclusively, with exception of the mixbus, which always ends up being the neve now. I don't know why, but the neve seems so much more alive to me. Like stuff becomes 3d instantly when i switch it on. Whenever I switch to the other mixbusses, I miss this right away, so I go with the neve, eventough I don't necessarily prefer its character over the other ones.

I must admit though that I don't like newer RC-tube at all. It sounds small to me. Sooo I bet that will be my favourite next month.

I think one of the main reasons a lot of people prefer the Neve (and dislike the RC) is that the default levels are inherently mismatched. When first loaded up, the Neve is noticeably louder (and the RC noticeably quieter) than the Trident, SSL, and API emulations. Even just that little bit of extra volume makes it really easy to go "that sounds much better/bigger" when toggling through the emulations. Going into the settings and evening things out by ear levels the playing field in a big way.

I tend to mix and match consoles within a mix. Otherwise if its all one console, certain frequencies stick out too much. I seem to always use Neve on guitars though. Seems like the liveliest sound to me.

I only have the RC-Tube but I love it and I think my mixes have improved dramatically since I got it. For me VCC is a lot like bus compression and it's just not the same added at the end. I don't think you can start the mix with SSL model then switch to Neve/RC etc near the end and expect it to work any other way but worse.

Starting with RC-Tube or any other model will affect how you shape the tracks and all your decisions in the mix. Starting with a model with fatter bass makes all your tracks too fat, you have to work a bit harder to make it clean. Take it off and the mix sucks without it.

I like different ones on different stuff...ssl for drums & bass, neve for guitars and vox, api for mixbus...at least at the moment

Yep. All the 4k saturation really does is smear your mid-bass and low-mids. I've actually started thinking that it's hurt my later mixes more than it's helped. For metal especially, there is a reason that most of the reference albums were done ITB - it just sounds tighter.

If you're going to go for the saturation, you might as well go for the Neve. That deepens and widens the mix, rather than just smearing it.

For me VCC is a lot like bus compression and it's just not the same added at the end. I don't think you can start the mix with SSL model then switch to Neve/RC etc near the end and expect it to work any other way but worse.

Agreed, although I tend to work a little differently from you perhaps.

I usually set up some basic eq and comp on each track first, like painting with broad strokes, then set up my groups and master.

Then I add VCC, usually at full drive, and tweak the gain to get a high or overloading signal depending on how it sounds, first an instance on each individual track, then to the groups, then to the master.

Doing it this way I tend to switch between the different saturation flavours on a per channel basis to find what works. This is where what I said on the OP comes into play, because I'd always like to use the SSL (because it's SSL), but invariably end up on Neve based on spot impression. Then I'll tweak.

I've been surprised on other threads I've read when people have said 'is VCC worth it - I don't hear a difference' because to me the difference is enormous and immediate, especially when adding it to something you've already comped.

Obviously if you were mixing on hardware this wouldn't be such a conscious part of the process because the tone shaping and artifacts are already there, but then I imagine SSL stuff works better than this in real life :D

"I've been surprised on other threads I've read when people have said 'is VCC worth it - I don't hear a difference' because to me the difference is enormous and immediate, especially when adding it to something you've already comped."

IS or ISN'T?

"I've been surprised on other threads I've read when people have said 'is VCC worth it - I don't hear a difference' because to me the difference is enormous and immediate, especially when adding it to something you've already comped."

IS or ISN'T?

I only have RC-Tube, but find that it's not immediately noticable until it's running on a bunch of channels and then using the mixbus.

I only have RC-Tube, but find that it's not immediately noticable until it's running on a bunch of channels and then using the mixbus.

FWIW, I notice the difference even when I'm mastering a stereo stem of the board mixes I do for radio, which would be 1 instance of a stereo channel and the 2bus. I find myself using the Neve model more than the others.

THe best emulation of the desks in VCC are for sure the Neve. It makes the mix so much more 3d sounding, wider and more punchy then any of the other alternatives.
The SSL makes everything more compact, and you loose a bit of the separation in a bad way. And it also hypes the mids around 3-4 which can make the guitars a bit sharp-sounding..

I've tried to use the other ones on the master bus but i always go back to the Neve. It just sounds best.

yeah, satson is tight. I actually had to pay $30 for it a while back, its nice if they are giving it away for free now but is def worth what i spent. Its has a hi / low pass filter on it and a "fat" switch that messes up drums in a cool way. I like vcc quite a bit better though, a bit more apparent and more options with grouping and tones. The satson people also have a nice vintage eq thats free.