Mixing with VCC

THe best emulation of the desks in VCC are for sure the Neve. It makes the mix so much more 3d sounding, wider and more punchy then any of the other alternatives.
The SSL makes everything more compact, and you loose a bit of the separation in a bad way. And it also hypes the mids around 3-4 which can make the guitars a bit sharp-sounding..

I've tried to use the other ones on the master bus but i always go back to the Neve. It just sounds best.

Agreed on all points.

As much as I always want to use the SSL for the name, it just doesn't end up being the best sounding option for anything I've tried.

EDIT: Speaking of saturation, does anybody know what Stabbing the Drama was mixed on? It doesn't sound as clean and separated as ITB, but it also doesn't sound as tubby/blurred as a 4k. Something like a 9k, Duality or AWS perhaps?

EDIT: Speaking of saturation, does anybody know what Stabbing the Drama was mixed on? It doesn't sound as clean and separated as ITB, but it also doesn't sound as tubby/blurred as a 4k. Something like a 9k, Duality or AWS perhaps?

Duality wasn't here in 2005:D
I will disappoint you Ermin (but you know I like doing shit like that:D) but STD was mixed at old Fascination Street studio. So Daniel mixed on Jens 4000e.

l.jpg

Are you positive about that?

Yes
Drum was recorded at Bergstrand place (old Dug out studio, console used at this place was a soundcraft TS24, now he mixe on a ssl duality).
Everything else was done at old Fascination Street studio (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/7676194-post61.html).

Some more info:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/1151336-post12.html

And I found the same info (from an other person) on a French forum.

From what I know, Daniel mixed only one album on a 9000xl, and it was at Davout studio, Paris.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-o2owDhb4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-o2owDhb4[/ame]

Cool - thanks for digging that up. I'm just thrown as I've never heard bass so deep, with such fidelity on a 4k mix. Even my fave rock stuff always seems to have some swirly, muddy mid-bass crossover stuff going on. This one record appears to be the exception.

How you gain stage is the most important thing (and this is event more important with J and xl series).
With a 4k, you hit at a certain level (channel input light on the red), and that result in a really in your face sound. Console is bending like CLA as said and your mix gel like nothing else. This is what rock guys do.

Console sound/character become apparent the harder you it. That what everyone talk about finding the console sweet spot.
If you hit softer, console sound become less apparent. ;)

From what I heard, J/xl are totally different beast for gain staging and sweet spot (but I can't give you any input since I have no experience on this right now).

And for the muddy mid-bass crossover stuff, that sound like mix done on ns10 for me:D

Unfortunately ive given up on VCC, i used to like it but it just makes me fight the mix much more. Just using nebula, sounds much more realistic to me.

i wish VCC was better, cause the interface is really user friendly. And I agree with everyone, Neve is the only emulation I found to be useful

Neve is only the EMU I'll use on the 2BUSS...made that observation even from the VERY early beta versions of VCC...

I like the RC Tube on VOX channels a LOT.... API channel on GTR's is really cool.... but rest usually gets 4k or Neve... (just have to be careful strapping the neve across all channels as it contains a LOT of sub-low info).... this is why we must all be filter FREAKS =D

The Neve input channels really do sub-out everything. On the master bus it's a no brainer.

I'm torn at the moment, I'm unsure whether to run the Nebula CLC stuff or the VCC 4k on individual channels for my coming projects. Not had much success only running 4k instances across everything so far. In fact I'm pretty sure it's actually making my mixing worse. It's mostly added all the elements I dislike about 4k mixes with only a single benefit (transient saturation/togetherness).

The Neve input channels really do sub-out everything. On the master bus it's a no brainer.

I'm torn at the moment, I'm unsure whether to run the Nebula CLC stuff or the VCC 4k on individual channels for my coming projects. Not had much success only running 4k instances across everything so far. In fact I'm pretty sure it's actually making my mixing worse. It's mostly added all the elements I dislike about 4k mixes with only a single benefit (transient saturation/togetherness).

Why don't you just use the CLC then? It's something you're already accustomed to and has given you good results before, so why even be torn about it? Or why not try other console emus for nebula? I've only got CLC and MLC, have you tried VBC? (the neve one)

I think the strength of VCC is using the different channels for different instruments. I use the 4k on my drums and drum buses for my transient saturation and the pop it gives, I usually end up with the Neve on bass due to the low-mid hump it brings. I'm enjoying either API or Neve on guitars as it focuses the mid-range in a spot that I like my guitars to sit in whilst giving a subtle widening effect. Vocals usually get nothing or a little bit of RC tube.

I'm also using quite a few less channels then I think most people are. The way I have my sessions set up is I have all of my Audio tracks feeding appropriate buses, so for example if I have 5-6 kick tracks they are sent to a kick bus where they are processed, then to a drum bus, then a Drum VCA then a "Music Bus" then finally the 2-bus. The only stage my kick will hit VCC is on the kick bus as they have been summed together, on the drum bus itself and the 2-bus. I have a feeling that a lot of people who are complaining about the smearing effect are having each source hit VCC 4-6 times as they have it on every channel and Aux before the source reaches your ears.

You also have to be really careful with the gain staging on this plug-in which is something I adjust on a instrument by instrument basis. The advantage I find with sending each of my multiple drum channels to an Aux is I can decide how hard I want to push VCC for each part of the drum kit. I usually get the kick, snare and toms hitting just above 1 on the meters whilst my Overheads, Rooms and spot mics are barely hitting 0 on the loudest peaks. I think the main strength of the plug-in is on transient heavy sources like drums where its weakness is anything with a lot of sustain such as guitars and big groups of backing vocals.

If you spend some time properly calibrating each instance of VCC and use that as a template for each mix you'll find you'll achieve more of the pleasing elements of what the plug-in brings without feeling like you're working against it.