mmmm... nice pics...

ok, now i think this is getting out of hand a bit.

i DO feel that the poses and looks on their faces are not quite them or "authentic". but after thinking about it for a bit, i think i know why...

typically a band's promo shots are paid for and contracted by the record label...to my understanding. that means roadrunner hired a man to take a band photo of them...which means he probably gave them some tips and directions as far as how to stand, look, smile, frown, fold arms, hands on hips, etc.

my guess is Opeth didnt get the same photographer or picture taking freedom as previous albums.

ALSO...Opeth may very well be tired of the trees in every picture they take. OR as dreadful pointed out...maybe the album doesnt reflect a foresty feel, so they decided to scrap that motif this time around.

ORRR, they were on tour or location when the photograph session was scheduled, and the only places around to take pics was a park, and the side of a building outside the venue, or something of that nature.

lack of orchestration and meditation on this photo shoot, also in conjunction with maybe some lack of freedom with it....might be the issue here.

but in reality, the band isnt wearing anything different than they normally do, and they are making "nu metal" poses necessarily...just typical "metal" poses...which opeth usually seemed above doing in the past. its the reverse of when someone takes a family reunion portrait or something and has to hold that fake cheesey smile for 5 minutes while the photographer has to fuck around with something. i think thats what is going on with these more or less.

out of hand?
look I don't think anyone said LOL ILL NEVR LISTEN TO OPRTH AGAIN CUZ OV THESE PHOTOS!!!!11
I don't really care in the end of these photos, I just say that they're forced, laughable and not very opeth-ish in the stances and face expressions...
Since they chose RR to sell more records I guess when the photographer told them "you are on a label that just follows any fucken trend that's in the metal since the mid-80s!!! so now it's fake-angry-juvenile-metal, be as metalcore as it gets!" they were just like "ok" but since they are not that kind of people they didn't succeed very well in making the poses.
these shots are of poor quality under every aspect.

Mirrored Ghost said:
How tall is Peter?? 10 feet??

I've started measuring things in terms of bass player, so Peter is approximatly 1.7 bass players (bp) tall, or roughly the size of an Ent. Mike is about 1.3 bp, and Pear and Dead are roughly 1.1 bp.

Is it me or does Pear look like he's been through two or three rehab attempts already?

NineFeetUnderground said:
typically a band's promo shots are paid for and contracted by the record label...to my understanding. that means roadrunner hired a man to take a band photo of them...which means he probably gave them some tips and directions as far as how to stand, look, smile, frown, fold arms, hands on hips, etc.

Yeah. I think that's it. Mike esp. looks very awkward in the way he holds his hands etc.

They should have at least used a cooler setting, like maybe a victorian mansion and the guys standing around a gargoyle or something. Ok, so maybe that is a crappy idea, but the point is that they should have done something in the pics to set them apart from the 'other' bands, just as they do with their music.

Opeth-mikeandpeter1pic.jpg

See, there's a non-nature themed pic that is still cool. It still retains the Opeth essence. I hope, as NFU cited, that these promo pics are just the result of excessive constraints for the time being, and don't reflect a new 'attitude' adopted by the band.

But what really kills me is... I KNOW, just by looking at those promo shots, just which crowd the band are gonna be marketed to, and it's a bit distressing. The only reason I'm a fan of Opeth today is because I saw a BWP promo pic and just loved that whole vibe... it just seemed different, especially the fact that it was a bunch of guys wearing big antique jackets, sunnies and sporting hair straight out of the 70's. It just won me over instantly because it emanated genuinity... at least for a metal band. I just don't think this new look does the band any justice, especially as they can easily be mistaken by a surface-viewer as 'Soilwork #2' and outright dismissed.

Moonlapse said:
I'm a fan of Opeth today is because I saw a BWP promo pic and just loved that whole vibe... it just seemed different, especially the fact that it was a bunch of guys wearing big antique jackets, sunnies and sporting hair straight out of the 70's. It just won me over instantly because it emanated genuinity
You hit the nail on the head.

Opeth to me always exuded a certain calmness, that whole "yes we play metal but we also love nature and we love gardening in our spare time" look and that is the visual side of the band I admire most.

These pictures are so amateur "They are look like , taken by somebody who was passing by them while they were walking with their very own personal camera"
probably they asked from that guy.
i miss still life promo shots :(

how did I not notice this thread until now?

anyway...good call, T-Rat...

seriously though, they need to put Opeth back in the forest where they belong. taking a picture of them on somebody's lawn doesn't cut it. and wtf is up with Peter's pants, he looks like he's wearing bell-bottoms in at least one of the pictures. the green shoes are quite hot though :Spin:

Man, those poses are definitely comical. Still, I must say Peter's body is looking quite yummy, and the Martins are adorable as usual. I just love how Mike and Peter are like a foot taller than each of them. That grass picture cracks me up. Lopez is making a pouty face. Hehe.