Modded Tube Screamers : Do they deserve the hype?

I'm perfectly happy with my ts9, I was gonna go with a ts7 after reading the FAQ, but saw a cheap used one sitting there at guitar center. I was just curious about the sparkle drive cause the blend thing seems like it might be cool.

You can do it yourself - either put the blend in yourself (not hard at all) or make a new box that acts like an FX loop before the amp (buffer the signal and pass to a blend knob) for more versatility.

Compression can be brought to low levels by cutting the drive knob, and if the amount of compression you have at that point is still troubling you then it's time to stop worrying about amp distortion - and, while you're at it, playing any tube amp at any reasonable volume (if you still thought that your 'tube fatness' was anything but careful compression and clipping). For the bass bit... there's a little sort-of-secret-thing that hasn't been put out much: you can cut a hell of a lot of bass before a high-gain amplifier trainwreck and still not feel like you're getting a thinner sound. For boosting a high-gain amplifier, the blend knob is going to give you the worst of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned - you'll get the floppy attack with too much bass, thanks to the clean part (unless you have it too low to matter), and the squished tail from the compressed part until the TS is too bored with your low-input rubbish to do anything significant to it.

Curiosity really is great, but there's a FAQ dedicated solely to TS-like things and I'd love to get it closer to completion - I'm trying to make all of these questions into one massive bastard explanation and I'd really appreciate a move over to the stickied TS FAQ in the Production Tips subforum.

Jeff

... and how much distortion do you use? Both symmetric and asymmetric pedals like the ones that we're discussing will compress quite a bit, and the only difference here is that the asymmetric ones *might* appear to give less compression if you aren't paying much attention and aren't too comfortable with what asymmetric clipping actually means.

Jeff

I dont have that much distortion at all.. i try to put my self somewhere between AC/DC and Lynch on "Breaking The Chains" for tracking(playing in band/live = "breaking the chains".).
And i didn't mean i liked asymmetrical clipping over symmetrical clipping because of the differences in compression, thats why i prefer an EQ just to get a tighter sound without altering the dynamics that much.
I prefer asymmetrical clipping because to me it sounds warmer/thicker then symmetrical clipping.. but then again, i play mostly 80's heavy metal, so i dont need that kind of compression and tightness that some of you guys need for your downtuned guitars.

Modded anything doesn't deserve the hype hahaha. Sorry i am a purist asshole who believes if you have to mod it then its not what was for you, but I am also a hypocrite bc I love some modded 800's.

Modded anything doesn't deserve the hype hahaha. Sorry i am a purist asshole who believes if you have to mod it then its not what was for you, but I am also a hypocrite bc I love some modded 800's.

... there are so many devices that aren't available on store shelves, so many mods that'll never make it to mass manufacture, and so few actually different pedals available that there is no way this could be anything but one of the stupidest opinions I've read in a long time. Chances are very high that nothing is 100% for you - we have to take the best approximations we can, and sometimes that means swapping resistors. How is there anything less 'pure' about that?

Jeff