Moderation for Theocracy forum

SeaStorm

Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Hey gang, I just wanted to let you all know that we now have a moderator for the Theocracy forum (that'd be me). With the board growing each time they release an album, the need has arisen.

At some point I'll probably write up some sticky threads with useful info - like a FAQ, since we get a lot of the same questions asked over and over.

Right off the bat, I'd like people to avoid one thing: non-descriptive thread titles. They come in two varieties: the unintentionally vague, and the intentionally teasing (if you end your thread title in ... then it probably qualifies).

Thread titles should accurately describe the contents of the thread. This accomplishes two goals:

- it saves others time as they only have to click into threads they are interested in
- it actually gets you - as the OP (Original Poster) - better readership because the casual users who scan the first page and skip all the non-descriptive titles might actually read your thread if they know what it's about

Actual thread title examples (I pulled these from threads from years ago, so as not to embarrass anyone ;)):

* Hey
* I Wish I Could...
* Where is it
* Anyone See This? (oops, that was a Matt thread ;))

and the ever popular, massively over-used:

*question for matt

As this forum grows and we get more and more people, as well as more and more threads, I think a little more organization in thread titles will go a long way towards making everyone's forum-reading lives easier. I will thank you in advance for being attentive to it!

If you see any issues that need moderator attention (e.g. spam, posting of pirate download links), let me know! I read about 95% of the threads here, so I should catch most stuff.

Woot! Thanks for tackling this. Moderation can be a thankless job, but you've got my thanks for certain.

I just hope this message doesn't get edited.
It's lots of fun when I shave my legs while watching Sex & the City.

I am pleased to see this. I've thought several times over the past few weeks that this forum could use it. Glad you're willing to take it on, SeaStorm. I've done moderator work in the past, and I can testify that it's a trial at times. You seem like the best person here for the job, and I wish you the best of luck.

* Anyone See This? (oops, that was a Matt thread ;))

Heh. I just had a mental picture of Matt logging on to find he'd be warned for something on his own forum. Priceless. :D

Gee, SeaStorm, thanks a lot!

You couldn't keep your cool for a few hours. I am utterly disappointed and my lacy silky boxers make me feel all giggly like the frilly girl I am, toodles.

Thank you SeaStorm, it's great to know we'll have a moderator around here! From my previous forum administration/moderation work I know it's not an easy job, and it can also be time-consuming. However, even for small forums like this, it's a really important job. I do love a well-organised forum, and this forum is definitely missing some good ol' stickies (don't want too many though...).

You've definitely got my support :)

EDIT:
we REALLY need to get lives :rofl: ahh well, this is more fun than having a life!
Speak for yourself! :p

So no more Rickrolling? DARN! ;) How about one more rule:

All rules are non-existent on April Fools... EXCEPT for this very rule... wait... GAH!

Wow, thanks for all the thanks and appreciation everyone, before I've even done any work! With this awesome crowd, I don't expect this to be a terribly difficult job. On some of my other forums, I wouldn't take on moderating those packs of wolves even if you paid me :) You all are pussycats :saint: