Monitor options: use my crown PA amp or active monitors?

NoDestiny

Jul 14, 2009
I'm finally looking to get away from my headphones as I finally treated a room w/ 8 2'x4' broadband absorbers/bass traps, plus a box of the foam to go up eventually as well.

for my PA system, I have a Crown XLS 202D amp... I was thinking about two options for monitors because of this.

1. Alesis Monitor 1 MKII passives, ran off the Crown amp
2. Find a set of actives for ~$300 or less

From the many reviews I have read, seems that the MKII's would be the best way to go... but I'm not sure if my amp is optimal for it.

Figured I'd throw the Q down to you guys who have some experience in this.

Thanx!

ill have to say, i really love the alesis monitor 1 mk II passive monitors, definately THE best sounding monitors for their price, i'd say they are very like the NS10s, but a bit smoother over all frequencies!! totally different to the active version!!

Just got my Alesis Monitor 1 MKII passives in and made some stands for em (MDF, PVC, Allthread and sand style)...

WOW. Just WOW. I have been trying to mix with what I had (Senheiser 280's and some logitech speakers)... after listening to a few CDs on them, I have a good feeling about the quality of my mixes improving!

well they passives have a different construction for a start, only one bass port at the back, unlike the 2 on the front of the active version!

the cones are totally different.

the bottom end is lost in cloudyness, it tends to be lots of rumble, no clarity in the bottom end of things, the mid range is no where near as clear as the passive versions