more funny iced earth news

deathstrike from hell

Deathstrike lambtron
Aug 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
Speaking exclusively to BW&BK, ICED EARTH guitarist/founder Jon Schaffer talked about the widely rumored and highly sought after Live In Athens DVD that will reportedly be issued next month.

While meant to coincide with Century Media's 15th anniversary on American soil, the long release of these dormant tapes doesn't sit well with Schaffer.

“We had discussed it earlier and I told them, 'No, it’s an obvious money grab. The footage isn’t any good. If it was, we would have done it years ago.' There were only three cameras. There was no crane. One camera was set up at the back of the auditorium. One guy was walking around in front of the stage and another on the stage. We all agreed, back in the day, that that show doesn’t warrant a professional DVD release. It’s not right. I think the fans will feel ripped off. That’s what I’m concerned with.

They sent me the trailer and it was pretty cool, so I thought it might be OK. Then they sent me the DVD, their edit. It’s bad! The last thing I told them was, ‘We can go back and re-edit this thing, with me there, to make it the best it can be, or you guys can put this thing out and I’m going to tell people the truth and not support it at all.’ The point is, they swear they’re going to keep the price low and tell everyone it’s not a high quality DVD release. That it’s a documentary of a point in the band’s career. I understand that, but I want people to know that this wasn’t done with my supervision, or permission. This is them, taking tapes that were originally done for a German TV program (Viva).

The ‘bonus’ footage is a joke. Me walking around town talking about the Acropolis and metal. The backstage footage they have is literally them standing there as I’m tying my shoes and Matt (Barlow, vocals) is doing an interview. It’s nothing, just footage. Anything they can add, maybe a minute and half long. The tour of Athens is maybe two minutes. There’s also three songs missing, where they were changing tapes or batteries died.

The edit, in some spots, is really bad. All it would have taken is someone who knows the songs better. There are effects you can do to slow the film down, tricks to eat up a little time until you get another good shot. Though that takes time and money. If they had done some of that stuff, I wouldn’t feel that bad about it.

I have a lot of good memories from those days, when Matt and Brent (Smedley, drums) were in the band. We had a lot of fun. It was a tight band. It was a very cool period of history to remember. I just don’t want people to feel like they’re getting ripped off.

I told Century Media that the fans’ reaction is going to decide whether I pursue a lawsuit. They think they have the right to put it out and I say they don’t. I don’t want to drag it through a long, expensive legal process to have someone interpret it, but if I get reaction that people think it’s a rip-off, I will probably pursue it (legally). My thing has always been to give the people the best possible product for the money. It’s an integrity issue.”

A full interview with Mr. Schaffer will be in an upcoming issue of BW&BK, where he discusses the status of writing and recording two albums worth concept material, plans for a legitimate Iced Earth DVD and changes in his outlook on life/music industry, since the birth of his daughter.

I'm actaully really excited. That's one of my favorite live albums. The version of Dante's Inferno on there is probably the best live metal performance ever, and I remember after first hearing it, being incredibly dissapointed that I'd never see it. Ha but now I can!! Plus live footage of Matt is great on it's own too.

I copied the same text on the rapist guitarist thread like 2 weeks ago. Still, it's funny. I guess people will HAVE to expect funny news everytime we talk about Iced Earth.