more goodies from the Swanö wardrobe

Dan Swanö said:
I think there are someother dude or dudess our there that enjoy this 1st pressing more than me. I cannot really stand my work on this, so I never listen to it...and I need money:erk:

I agree, not your best work. but not Opeth's best work either. So not entirely your fault. :lol:

Dan Swanö said:
I was probably the biggest Tankard fan in the world for a while. I even bought ther stickers from their fanclub!! I had all their stuff and like 3 or 4 different t-shirts/sweatshirts....

fight for your right to drink pure beer!!!!!!!!!
Space beer is what I like!

the_drip said:
I agree, not your best work. but not Opeth's best work either. So not entirely your fault. :lol:

what?
Morningrise was fucking awesome! sure it needs some remastering bad but the material itself and the production were great.
sure Dan did lots of better stuff but It's not bad.

Those early Opeth albums dont have GREAT production, but this was way back.. so its understandable.

Opeth reached a PEAK at STill Life, they need to hang up their boots at this point. Their albums are getting bad. Lyrically pathetic also.

Dan is still putting out killer Nightingale stuff though :) Another Life should be killer-- one of these days..

gar977 said:
Opeth reached a PEAK at STill Life, they need to hang up their boots at this point. Their albums are getting bad. Lyrically pathetic also.
Okay, everyone has their opinions, but I thought Deliverance had awesome heaviness and progression, Blackwater Park was tastefully variated, Damnation was a great prog rock experiment, and Ghost Reveries had the best production out of any of their albums. :err:

Ps. Not everyone likes their lyrics, but who cares? I highly doubt they'll be quitting anytime soon.

Sorry to go off-topic.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Okay, everyone has their opinions, but I thought Deliverance had awesome heaviness and progression, Blackwater Park was tastefully variated, Damnation was a great prog rock experiment, and Ghost Reveries had the best production out of any of their albums. :err:

Ps. Not everyone likes their lyrics, but who cares? I highly doubt they'll be quitting anytime soon.

Sorry to go off-topic.

I didn't like Deliverance very much. It was sort of plodding album. Blackwater had some great moments but it suffered from the same plodding along feeling during some songs.

Damnation however is my 2nd favorite Opeth album, and Ghost Reveries has Ghost of Perdition and Hours of Wealth, which are two of Opeth's best songs outright.

Opeth isn't off-topic on this thread, it was one of the things Dan was selling. =)

gar977 said:
Everybody has the right to their own opinion. And my opinion is to totally disagree with your opinion on this one. ;) They're still releasing damn good music.

I remember I read a review of GR and thought - hey that's exactly how i felt! which was:

opeth raise such high expectations that if the album fails in only one tiny way, everybody will say "it sucksssss!!!" hell, i didnt really like GR at first either. but it will still end up in everybodys top 10 list, and it will STILL be a masterpiece.

i remember thinking that The Grand Conjuration was the first BAD song opeth ever wrote. I still think it's their worst, but I was nontheless banging my head off to it at wacken...

I think Deliverance is their worst, especially if you listen closely to the production. The drums and guitars just sound too artificial. of course mendez' drumming was superb, but it just didnt sound great. still.... deliverance was my first opeth album and i still listen to it occassionally. it has its moments of genius just like any other opeth album... the percussion in wreath, the heavy part after the quiet part in deliverance, that brilliant solo in AFJ, the awesome heaviness of MA, the grunts in BTPISIO... RISE TO SUBMISSION!!!

what is bad for opeth, is still brilliant compared to other stuff.

2 things...
1. the only thing mendez drumed on was the bass strings
2. I fell in love with ghost reveries from first few listens of the leaked album in july 2005...and I listened to it for 6 months straight almost everyday.
there was this internet mag that asked a lot of metal musicians(from good bands) their top 3 albums of 2005 and most of them had GR in that top 3...this album cannot suck by definition...it may not suite your taste but it doesn't suck.
it's their most brilliant piece to date. I think Deliverence is a good album,it's not great but it still rocks considering the conditions Mike and the gang had to work in and having to rewrite songs over night in mid recording and record stuff without rehearsing(I said hearse:lol: )...I imagine that if the conditions were better both Damnation and Deliverence would come out much better than they did.
Mike learned from the mistakes...GR was well written and rewritten and properly reheased before going in the studio.
My 2 least favorite opeth albums are Orchid(may Dan forgive me) becuase I felt it was a little too black-ish and Damnation not because it's quiet and doesn't rock but because it got me depressed and I couldn't listen to it more than maybe 2 months.

WHY does everyone hate Deliverance? I don't get it. It's been my favorite Opeth album for 2 years now. I just don't get why everyone else hates it so much. It has an incredibly dark atmosphere compared to some of their other albums. :mad:

I think it's not as interesting as the others, musically. There's not a lot of song distinction, the riffs are sort of repetitive, and I can't really tell the songs apart really well other than Master's Apprentices and Deliverance. And I sometimes get them confused.

I don't think it's a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it's Opeth's least creative work. Blackwater Park and Deliverance just didn't really do it for me. That doesn't mean I think they're bad, just that I'd much rather listen to the oldest stuff, and the newest stuff, than those albums.

Opeth's songs aren't exactly light listening, so I tend to avoid Deliverance if I feel like listening to Opeth songs for an hour or two.

Naglfar said:
I think it's not as interesting as the others, musically. There's not a lot of song distinction, the riffs are sort of repetitive, and I can't really tell the songs apart really well other than Master's Apprentices and Deliverance. And I sometimes get them confused.

I don't think it's a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it's Opeth's least creative work. Blackwater Park and Deliverance just didn't really do it for me. That doesn't mean I think they're bad, just that I'd much rather listen to the oldest stuff, and the newest stuff, than those albums.

Opeth's songs aren't exactly light listening, so I tend to avoid Deliverance if I feel like listening to Opeth songs for an hour or two.

the stuff before BWP and the newest stuff that is GR is basicly Opeth's discography without Steven Wilson(that is if Damnation doesn't speak to you either).:err:

OK, Blackwater Park wasnt bad- but they still peaked at "Still Life" They just lost their "class" somewhere along the way. I dont expect a masterpiece every album, but not total garbage either.

What I really dont get is.. How can anyone listen to Dark Tranquillity? They put out the same junk over and over. Its insane! They showed variation in one album and that was it?!

One band that is still showing progression is KATATONIA! Way to go! Great new album.