More old guy music..

Thanks for sharing the Stems

This one was fun :)

Track Rendition

very nice! i'll be honest, the guitar tone isn't really my cup of tea, but it works. i'm stuck in the 80s and will forever think a tight, JCM800 tone is right for everything... lol.. but this seems to work. nice balance. nice low end.. and really nice job with the vox. the wah stuff on the lead, especially at the end...nice touch!! a lot of great creative additions!

i really appreciate all you guys sharing your mixes of this song. like i said in the first post - I learn a lot by listening to other people's approaches. for example - a lot of you guys really have done a great job with presenting the vocals - clearly and up front. we all know that's important - but hearing it done right is golden. my gut has always said this mix needs a certain amount of "chaos" to sound right. If that makes sense... the song has that "out of control", chaotic vibe to it. I can't help but think "Marilyn Manson" a little... anyway, thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for sharing it, great song!
I'd like to mix it, but I have some issues with the midi drums.
I set the tempo at 190 bpm, but drums aren't sync'd with others tracks.
Should I manually move the grooves? How did you do, guys?

Hello,

Thanks for sharing it, great song!
I'd like to mix it, but I have some issues with the midi drums.
I set the tempo at 190 bpm, but drums aren't sync'd with others tracks.
Should I manually move the grooves? How did you do, guys?

Hmm, not sure. I double checked, 190bpm, 4/4 is correct. What DAW are you using? Maybe somebody that's familiar with your DAW can provide a little more help.

Tempo is embedded with MIDI, so you shouldn't have anything to adjust.
It's 190bpm 4/4 all along, yeah.

Another thing that is maybe your issue : keep in mind that all source files are 48Khz, so be sure to set your project to 48 Khz too, otherwise it can be slowed down if you play them on a 44,1Khz project.

Hmm, not sure. I double checked, 190bpm, 4/4 is correct. What DAW are you using? Maybe somebody that's familiar with your DAW can provide a little more help.
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I'm on Fl studio. I think I resolved my problem, the drums pattern were incorrect, maybe the DAW didn't imported it well or what not:

Tempo is embedded with MIDI, so you shouldn't have anything to adjust.
It's 190bpm 4/4 all along, yeah.

Another thing that is maybe your issue : keep in mind that all source files are 48Khz, so be sure to set your project to 48 Khz too, otherwise it can be slowed down if you play them on a 44,1Khz project.
Hmm, got to check it, cause my project is 44'1kHz, thanks!

Not sure I'm getting what's wrong for you. Is it note lengths ?
Yes, there's some measures where I get a 1/8 instead of a 1/4, so it mess all the groove and give some kind of asymmetric petterns.
Anyway, with some quick edits, I fixed it and here's my try (Well, now I'm listening to others mixes, I feel the mine's too muddy.) :

Once again, thanks for providing the tracks, Mark. Loved to mix it.

Last edited:
This is the type of shit I like to work on. Had a Megadeth music video going on in my head the whole time I was mixing it. The rhythm guitars are an ENGL Savage, leads are an ENGL Powerball, and cleans are a Bogner. Drums are SD2 with some third-party processing on my part. Those vocals were quite a pain to organize and get right, a real good challenge.

Alright I really enjoyed mixing this song very much. The midi drums where too robotic and unrealistic so I worked on the velocity. Normally I wouldn't bother but this was such a good song so... I used Metal Machinery too but blended the kick and snare from The Progressive Foundry. Reamped with Kemper and Diezel Herbert amp. When the theme guitars comes back again then it's just the same file doubled? Why? It just makes it mono. So I decided to just delete that part.Pop sound on the vocals. Maybe you should invest in i pop filter? Don't get me wrong, it's just positive criticism I'm after. Oh, since I mixed in 48khz as the files came with I decided to bounce it to that speed instead of speeding up with 41 khz. Sounds heavier and better according to me. Anyway let me know what you think.

@Switchback: yea, a little wooly, but has a good groove! like the interesting guitar break!

@schwinginbatman: heavy.. i like those guitars! ENGL = good... ;) Another interesting guitar break. Gotta love DIs! Interesting snare.. Regarding the vocals... yea, I'm a bit ass-backwards when it comes to recording those. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I'm learning too (after umpteen years!). good mix!

@Megin: Not sure I understand what you did with the speed. The files are 48khz and you mixed at that, so where did the speed change come in? The midi files were all grooves played by real drummers, Toontrack. Good catch on the theme guitars. I had no idea i did that. Maybe need to lay off the wine on mix nights.. ;) Pop filter!! yes... guilty as charged! I have one, just too lazy to dig it out...:oops:

Starting a Rework of these stems,to see just what can be accomplished :)
First up the drums,bass n guitars , lead n theme a bit later :)
onto vocals vocals vocals!! :)

Last edited:
@Megin
Set Your Digital audio workstation before you start to import midi or audio files to the
Tempo: 190 - 4/4 as per the readme.txt supplied by Mark
once you have configured the DAW import the Drums.mid File first
then after import the Audio .wav files
your project files will now be synchronised :)

Starting a Rework of these stems,to see just what can be accomplished :)
First up the drums,bass n guitars , lead n theme a bit later :)
onto vocals vocals vocals!! :)

like the creative touches on the backgrounds.. on my speakers here there's a bit too much low-end muddying things up and it seems at times all the effects going on, esp w/ vox, are a little distracting.

Honestly, your stuff sounds better than anything I have or ever will do. This is just another reason for me to quit the game. Some guys have it and some don't.. I'm definitely the latter...