More on the Overlorde SR and Overlorde potential lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
I had this posted in the Ragnarokkr Metal Fest forum and Jasonic said I should also post this here to get more opinions on this.....so here it goes.

An online petition has popped up on Change.org. Feel free to read the link below. It is full if the history of both bands and how stupid of a battle this is. Basically seems like one guy on a powertrip who isnt even currently doing anything with his band. While most may seem this isnt an important issue but what is to stop another band who didnt do much to stop another band from using thier name they had decades ago? Look at Rhaspody and Rhapsody of Fire. Stuff like this is not helping anybody. Feel free to read and sign. The worst part is that the Overlorde SR reissue is amazing and now people cant hear it unless you were smart enough to get it when it came out a few months back.

here is the link
http://www.change.org/petitions/ove...k&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=10727444

what stinks is that the Overlorde SR disc that Heaven and Hell Records put out is great. That disc is great from start to finish and now it cant be sold until this is settled. Plus it hurts them from recording new stuff as well.

I suppose I should say something on this topic here after seeing the first thread and now that this petition has come about.
First of all, I like to thank all the fans, labels, DJs, distros, and zines for your support in this matter and seeing this for what it really is. Your emails and comments on this matter have really helped my morale while dealing with this issue. Yes, my label and the other band are merely being bullied here with these threats pure and simple; and it appears that many see it the same way. We have even been threatened for making this issue public with the press release issued a couple of weeks ago.
There is no reason to reiterate the facts and history here of the two different bands, that information can be found anywhere. But what is important to stress is that:
a. the North Carolina band did graciously alter their moniker before ever hearing from the Jersey band
b. Heaven and Hell Records complied with Overlorde (NJ) request that we cease sells of Overlorde SR – Medieval Metal Too until the bands settled their name dispute.
c. and most importantly the names are as different as the marks (logos)

I do support Overlorde SR and know they were in fact the first; still the point is this should be a dispute between the two bands. However, I am being pursued and well it is time to draw the line. As for this becoming a public issue that will simply show that there is obviously no confusion in people’s mind between the two names and bands. I believe to even suggest such a claim is not only an insult to the fans of both bands but also an insult to the metal community as a whole.
I believe that this issue is extremely ridiculous and asinine, however, we the label nor Overlorde SR started this mess, but what else are we to do? Sure these threads and petitions or whatever will probably make no difference in halting this unwarranted attack but it will show that people disagree with it and are not confused. Again thank you for the support and seeing what is right. I encourage each of you to sign the petition on Change.org to show your support in this matter.

Sincerely,

I signed it several days ago, and agree this has went too far. Facts are, Overlorde from NC were in fact first, they graciously changed their name to Overlorde Sr just to keep this type issue from coming up, and that's the long and short of it. A small label has enough to worry about, without having to deal with a frivolous lawsuit. The NJ band simply needs to drop the b.s. suit. Enough of this crap already.

All I can say is that if I were in any way associated by the NJ Overlorde (the Mark Edwards one), I'd be embarrassed.

Mark Edwards has obviously proven his lack of interest in metal fans with this move. As a businessman, I'm probably too concerned with principle for my own financial good, but maybe if more followed that route, the end result would be the metal fans would be much better served.

Mark Edwards has obviously proven his lack of interest in metal fans with this move. As a businessman, I'm probably too concerned with principle for my own financial good, but maybe if more followed that route, the end result would be the metal fans would be much better served.
The truly baffling thing to me is that I don't understand what Overlorde gains from this, aside from the publicity of getting their name dragged through the mud as "those guys who harassed another band for no reason." I completely understand the need to actively protect trademarks and brands, up to and including litigation when it's necessary, but I'm not seeing the point in this one. Neither band is going to be showing up in Best Buy, and I doubt Overlorde SR or Heaven & Hell have run any marketing campaigns to feed off confusion in the name, nor would they likely even want to capitalize on it.

The truly baffling thing to me is that I don't understand what Overlorde gains from this, aside from the publicity of getting their name dragged through the mud as "those guys who harassed another band for no reason." I completely understand the need to actively protect trademarks and brands, up to and including litigation when it's necessary, but I'm not seeing the point in this one. Neither band is going to be showing up in Best Buy, and I doubt Overlorde SR or Heaven & Hell have run any marketing campaigns to feed off confusion in the name, nor would they likely even want to capitalize on it.

From what I know of Mark Edwards, he's just a wacked dude that's next to impossible to work with. IMO that's the reason this started in the first place.

The New Jersey based U.S.Power Metal band OVERLORDE has issued the following Press Release:
http://www.overlorde.com/PressRelease2012.htm

The pomposity of the NJ band (really Mark Edwards) is ridiculous. Like I said earlier, this just shows the NJ bend isn't even remotely interested in the metal fans. This is all about them thinking they're king of the mountain and no one else can say or do anything but worship them. Whether they win their case is debatable, but whether or not they're being dicks about this issue isn't debatable. Sorry if that offends any of the metal fans who enjoy either or both bands.

What a joke. No one is "forced" to sue anyone else. They (he) could have acted like an adult and given metal fans some credit for being smart enough to tell two bands apart. Especially since the fan base for both bands is essentially the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.