More Paradise Lost reviews

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THESE GUYS?!!!!!!???????????

Darn dream theater fanboy

Well, I saw 3 copies of the regular digi-pak CD at my local record store today (no sign of any SEs). I've never seen such bad packaging. The cardboard was flimsier than usual, there is no band name or title on the spine, its on the TOP edge for some reason and it looks like it flips upward to open. Plus the store had the things crammed into the long security trays, so they were a bit crushed.

If I never get a hold of the SE, I'm not buying this CD unless its at least in a regular jewel case. :(

The SE has the same digipack as the original digipack one, right? Isn't the DVD just taped to it?

Those reviews pumped me up a lot, but they were definitely poorly written. I dislike the comment about Rullo not going to be the next Portnoy. Are you serious?

1 fucking day to fucking go!

Someone said the dvd was taped to it. Pretty much stinks. I really hate the cases they put the disks in, with insideout and stuff. Can't they put it in a jewel case like a normal person? ;)

Maybe they won't even have a jewel case for any of the versions. That would really stink, but it is a possibility.

WTF.

To me, when I expect Symphony X, I want some progressive metal that is only topped by the likes of Dream Theater and Watchtower. So when I got a chance to hear Paradise Lost, I expected it to be like that.

Guess what, IT'S NOT!

Seriously it sounds like Mike Romeo decided to go buy some Pantera CDs all of the sudden and say "Hey these guys were good, lets use their influence!" Bad idea Mike. Because of whatever choice Romeo and the others made, Symphony X now sounds like some progressive groove metal, which as cool as it sounds gets annoying after maybe the first three songs. Then after that, it's really hard to listen to because one of my favorite bands has just gone down the tube.

First of all, Russell Allen's vocal style is drastically altered. Gone is the serious sounding voice of The Odyssey, it's not all about the stupid high pitched whining. It's in every song, back to back to back to back. Come on man, I liked those serious sounding vocals, I liked them a lot, now you went and threw them out of the window. Russell Allen, what the hell has gotten into you?

Mike Romeo's guitar work is just a bunch of Pantera style riffs in changing time signatures. Nothing to great. His solos seem a bit weaker, and there are several of them that are reminiscent of Kerry King and Rick Rozz, complete over use of the guitar's tremolo system. His solos are slower and not as technical as before. What's up with that? That isn't the Mike Romeo I know.

You can't really hear Mike Lepond that well, so I'll skip over to Mike Pinella. The few solos that you do hear by his keyboards are lame. They are slow, and show way to much use of note bending among other things. It's just crap.

The one thing that has improved, Jason Rullo. This guy finally picked up the pace and cut drumming like crap and now is drumming pretty good. Sure he isn't the next Mike Portnoy, and don't expect any double bassing like that of George Kolias or Inferno, but he does do some pretty nice rolls on both double bass and even a few blast beats here and there. He's also faster, way faster, then on the Odyssey. However, the drumming just doesn't seem to fit the new vibe of music. But it's still good.

So in short, if you want to hear progressive metal this year, go buy Systematic Chaos. Stay away from Paradise lost.

lol at vocals are "Drastically altered". hahahhaha :lol:That's so funny.

Can't hear lepond?!!!! Yeah, well its not exactly like thomas miller, but what about domination, and seven?!!!

Jason drumming like crap?!!!! Never!

Sounds like Pantera?!!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!

Not the Romeo you know?!!!

Is this guy nuts or what? He probably listened to five minutes of the record and then writes the review,

I mean, what kind of man says "only topped by dream theater". Thats basically saying that nothing can be better than dream theater and dream theater is god.

Guess I'm in the minority too, but this just isn't my idea of Symphony X either :cry: I love Oculus Ex Inferni and Paradise Lost, but the rest of it just waaaaay too heavy for me. I have to pause after almost every song just to let my ears relax from all the 'noise'. What happened to singing? Is that what this screaming is supposed to be? Man .... what a disappointment. I couldn't wait for 3 releases this year; Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and SymX. PT's new one is mediocre, DT I can't even get through in one sitting. At least this one has 2 songs I'll listen to again. I guess that's better than nothing.

On the way home from work I listened to DWOT, and it just made me sad for what PL isn't.

Oh well. I'm getting used to saying 'maybe the next one' .....

Maybe it's time for you to start listening to some Avril Lavigne. It's too bad you can't get along with this musical approach but seriously it's not really as 'extreme' as you think.

This arnt really reviews nore can they be classified as reviews, its people who have heard the album, and are just speaking their mind! And you can tell by the amount of biases comments they make, even the ones that say the album rocks, are biased because they love them so much lol!