More Paradise Lost reviews

p.s. There's a negative review on Amazon that talks about the poor quality sound of the new cd. He says he didn't notice until he listened to some better/uncompromising speakers. Somehow I think he listened to it on a Hello Kitty Discman... I'll be blasting this through the Klipsch towers soon as I get home....we'll see just how "bad" it sounds. I realize it's all subjective, but this guy must have a wax build up problem, or something

Montu, I clicked on that guy's profile link and through to his Myspace profile... He's 15 years old, and criticising Jason Rullo's drumming? We should all take turns beating the kid with steel rods.

I can't wait to hear the album.

^ No kidding! Poor sound quality!? This CD's production quality is absolutely (in a good way) monstrous! I cannot get over how muscular Jason's drums sound! And I read in another review that the keyboards are buried in nearly every song. ??? I can hear them just fine! And MJR's tone has to be the best he's gotten thus far - rhythm, cleans, and leads.

I just got this cd today and i gotta tell you i think it may be there best cd and i didnt think it could outdo the Odyseyy. It shows you how great this band is.

Im seeing theese guys live August 8th and i wouldnt mind hearing this cd live in its entirety.

I don't think the opinions of a black/thrash fan should count for much when reviewing a progressive/power metal band, just a thought there.

On the way home from work I listened to DWOT, and it just made me sad for what PL isn't.

I am the complete opposite - When i play DWOT i cringe at how dungeon and dragons-esque it sounds in parts, Paradise lost is everything symphony X should be :headbang:

And as for Russels "Screaming", aka singing with an awesome texture - not only does it show amazing vocal flexibility, it suits the music. Their new heavier style would be short changed by a cleaner vocal style

^ No kidding! Poor sound quality!? This CD's production quality is absolutely (in a good way) monstrous! I cannot get over how muscular Jason's drums sound! And I read in another review that the keyboards are buried in nearly every song. ??? I can hear them just fine! And MJR's tone has to be the best he's gotten thus far - rhythm, cleans, and leads.

This album has fantastic sound quality. I was loving the production in my car on the way home from buying the CD, and I'm loving it even more listening to it at home on my Sennheisers.

Guess I'm in the minority too, but this just isn't my idea of Symphony X either :cry: I love Oculus Ex Inferni and Paradise Lost, but the rest of it just waaaaay too heavy for me. I have to pause after almost every song just to let my ears relax from all the 'noise'. What happened to singing? Is that what this screaming is supposed to be? Man .... what a disappointment. I couldn't wait for 3 releases this year; Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and SymX. PT's new one is mediocre, DT I can't even get through in one sitting. At least this one has 2 songs I'll listen to again. I guess that's better than nothing.

On the way home from work I listened to DWOT, and it just made me sad for what PL isn't.

Oh well. I'm getting used to saying 'maybe the next one' .....

SCREAMING. Almost pissed myself.

and if that thing about pausing to let your ears relax is true, you need to see a doctor or some shit.

that review that talked about blastbeats, shame he didnt refer to the exact time they occur, or even the trackname because I seem to have missed them everytime i listened to the album...

Originally Posted by manticore999
but the rest of it just waaaaay too heavy for me. I have to pause after almost every song just to let my ears relax from all the 'noise'. What happened to singing? Is that what this screaming is supposed to be?

I hate people who say this! Hey buddy, you ask Allen what he thinks about his screaming next time you see him, he will give you a nice melody that will range right up your asshole!

maybe...

No but you hit the nail on the head, criticizes his singing, this guy is making assumptions that his vox on PL is not singing, FOR SHAME!

Which means, i'm pretty sure if you'd go to allen and say that he'd be hurt if not knock you one, I mean come on, allen said it was his most difficult and enjoyable album recording to date! I'm pretty sure he doesn't refer to his vox as 'screaming' for a reason, because hmmm let me think...its not maybe?

Indeed, Allen himself told in an interview that although he has more agressive edge in his voice in certain PL songs, he still SINGS. He even said something about not being a big fan of screaming or yelling vocals in that interview.

I've come across a few "reviews" of the new album, where the revier claims that "The singer is just growling/screaming" WTF? *Shakes head

The vocals of this CD are great. The whole CD is great! It seems to me that some people just hoped the CD to be more like V or something.