Most annoying lyrical clichés?

I hate rhyming "fire" with "desire". Also when there is a line with "wanting" (I want it) the next one will always be about "needing" (I need it).

I made both mistakes myself years ago but English is my second language so I'm sometimes slow on cliches. That's why I think this is a very cool and useful thread!

I LOL so hard every time I hear that song... I think my favorites are usually heard in the crap getting radio play. Something along the lines of "Coming undone" or "Find myself". That's just lame...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of metal bands writing songs about how fucked up the world is, all this "we're headed for disaster" shit is fucking weak. No one cares what you have to say about the state of the world. You're a fucking musician. Shut up and write some cool songs.

I've been getting tired of hearing this *everywhere*...

Jeff

I find lyrics to be over-rated, especially by younger bands.
OOh, look....we've got this world-changing all-important message in our songs, you gotta listen, man, this will change your life......:loco::rolleyes:
Who gives a shit????
If the tune is crap, the best lyrics in the world aren't gonna change that. Words should be colours on a canvas, they're there to add colour to the melody, the bigger picture.

Tom fuckin Araya's approach on the following!

Sanity-eeeeeeeeeee
Insanity-eeeeeeeeeee
Liberty-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Humanity-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Eternity- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Deity- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Treachery- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Mysery- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dignity- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Misery- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Banshee- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Personality-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reality-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Society-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Stupidity-eeeeeeeeeeeeee

lol - examples;

Seizing all civil liberties
Honest ballotation among banshee
Spilling blood throughout humanity

On the edge of a
Demented personality
Emotional
Pain is a deadly reality

Treachery, mysery, violence, insanity
Scavengers closing in
Covering the truth again
Castrate society
Fictional reality

aghhhhhhhh!

Did I miss any?

this thread makes me wonder why a lot of you gay lords even post on a forum called Ultimate Metal...?

Or the Soulfly-era Max Cavalera approach

FUCK!
Soul!
Prophecy!
Bleed!
Fire!
Faith!
Blood!
Jump!
Hate!
Back!
Eyes!
Fear!
War!
Enemy!
Propaganda!
Rise!
Prophet!
Hope!
Pain!
AAAAAAAAAAAA!
*name of the song is the chorus' lyrics*

That could actually be a pretty badass Soulfly song.

So if Max and Tom ever wrote lyrics together it would go something like this?

FUCK! Reality-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Pain! & Misery- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
War! Insanity-eeeeeeeeeee
Society-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeis is the Enemy!

:headbang:

So if Max and Tom ever wrote lyrics together it would go something like this?

FUCK! Reality-eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Pain! & Misery- eeeeeeeeeeeeee
War! Insanity-eeeeeeeeeee
Society-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeis is the Enemy!

:headbang:

Didn't they already do that once? spreading terrorism through the music, rebelling against all this bullshit.

I agree with Joey though, lyrics are there to complement the music, I don't think they're really THAT important unless the author intends it to be

I hate rhyming "fire" with "desire". Also when there is a line with "wanting" (I want it) the next one will always be about "needing" (I need it).

I made both mistakes myself years ago but English is my second language so I'm sometimes slow on cliches. That's why I think this is a very cool and useful thread!

Man this is the worst, fire and desire haahahahha

Wooops! :oops:

if it makes you feel better, someone mentioned things with "shadows" ... I guess anyone can have a problem with just about anything wa? ;)

:lol: I like shadows dude ;)

I'm sick of metal bands writing songs about how fucked up the world is, all this "we're headed for disaster" shit is fucking weak. No one cares what you have to say about the state of the world. You're a fucking musician. Shut up and write some cool songs.

For me, it depends enterely how this subject is presented lyrically imo, because I quite like this topic tbh :lol:
But you're right, a lot of bands do this in a very plump whay in a lot of songs.

Seeing all the stuff beeing mentioned I'd like to know WHAT you guys think should be written about :Smokin:
don't think that there's much left now :lol:

:lol: I like shadows dude ;)

Seeing all the stuff beeing mentioned I'd like to know WHAT you guys think should be written about :Smokin:
don't think that there's much left now :lol:

I don't know if its so much the topic itself that seems goofy sometimes so much as the choice of words used to express the idea

however I will say that if I really believe a person's lyrics are genuine, that they were being truly honest when they wrote them, that will reflect in the lyrics and therefore I will like them ... for almost any topic