Most overated band / album?

F*cking jam bands. Widespread Panic, Phish, (even though I think they have lots of talent) etc. It seems like every teenage kid in America absolutely worships them, even if it's just for sole purpose of liking them just to "be cool" and fit in with their crowd. :yell:

dream theater; specifically La Brie and John Petrucci

Now, I'm not afraid of a little fretboard wankery syndrome (I'm a big fan of Trey Azagthoth & Yngwie Malmsteen), but Petrucci just seems to be a bit of a dud when it comes to emotion or interesting ideas in his solos.

*shrugs*

Just my opinion, I know most of you will disagree....

You think my reason for calling opeth overrated is due to me not liking them as much anymore? rather than their standard of writing depleting rapidly? i suggest you re-evaluate your opinion. for those of you not quite up to par on Opeth fan boy-isms surrounding this once amazing band...here is a direct case example.

(Los angeles house of blues) 2003 - damnation tour with P.T.

"We are opeth from stockholm sweden" - Mikael

"YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!" - crowd

"People call us the Scorpions of sweden..." - Mikael

"BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" - Crowd

"...But i like the scorpions!" - Mikael

"YEAHHHHHHHHHH!" - Crowd

now if that horse shit doesnt sum it all up for you retards, i dont know what will. :Smug:

Fucking dumb crowds man..

Anyway, everyone and their mother seems at my school seems to like the following:

Tom Petty
Phish
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dave Matthews Band

Of course the "rebelious" crowd seems to think this band is THE most amazing thing...EVER.
Tool

And I've seen a lot of people say "You want real death metal? Check out Nile."
................STOP WITH THE FUCKING NILE.

Caelum Adustum said:
Fucking dumb crowds man..

Anyway, everyone and their mother seems at my school seems to like the following:

Tom Petty
Phish
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dave Matthews Band

Of course the "rebelious" crowd seems to think this band is THE most amazing thing...EVER.
Tool

And I've seen a lot of people say "You want real death metal? Check out Nile."
................STOP WITH THE FUCKING NILE.

Well, i sorta like nile, they are good death metal, maybe not the best but they are entertaining

hypnos, when are you saying they lost their touch? just recently with deliverence? or with BWP? yes, i think deliverence is a weaker album than most of the past ones, but honestly, can you tell me that orchid is flat out better as an album than deliverence? i personally dont think that it is. if you listen to a fair judgement alone, you can understand that mikael hasnt lost his writing touch. Damnation, even though you dont seem to like it all that much, is a very good album. It accomplishes what it was supposed to accomplish: it shows the mellow and classic rock influences of opeth and shows that they are capable songwriters within that genre. that may have come out weird, but its kinda late. anyhow, we may have conflicting views of overrated. who exactly are rating opeth? they get like 3 page articles in 2 magazines. Its not like theyre on tv all the time, people calling them the best band in the world. I just cant see them as being overrated, sorry.

LordHypnos said:
(Los angeles house of blues) 2003 - damnation tour with P.T.

"We are opeth from stockholm sweden" - Mikael

"YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!" - crowd

"People call us the Scorpions of sweden..." - Mikael

"BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" - Crowd

"...But i like the scorpions!" - Mikael

"YEAHHHHHHHHHH!" - Crowd

now if that horse shit doesnt sum it all up for you retards, i dont know what will.
lol, I guess I must be retarted! I like the scorpions aswell!
and for as far as deliverence goes, LordHypnos can lick hairy anus! :D thats just my opinion though.

Lordlucid said:
lol, I guess I must be retarted! I like the scorpions aswell!
and for as far as deliverence goes, LordHypnos can lick hairy anus! :D thats just my opinion though.

He was stating how fickle those fans were....

This LordHypnos lad has a point. Deliverance is realy weak. It doesnt have any of the dynamics that made earlier albums great. Neither did Damnation, but thats a different story. This, we can excuse on the fact that the albums were poorly planned and written/recorded in lousy conditions.
But since they replaced their folk influences with classic rock influences the music has simply lost its magical effect.

First off Deliverance kicks fucking ass. Stop comparing an album to a bands previous albums and start evaluating it for what it is. Damn, fuck, shit, fart, slurp! Give opeth a fucking break. What are they their own worst enemy? Fans forcing opeth to compete against themselves. To compete against their old material to recieve adjulation from you heathans? Stop fucking bitching and start enjoying the beauty which is opeth. This board is fool of arseholians. Mikael Akerfeldt puts his heart and his soul into his songs only to have pre pubescent pimple popping pea brains bash it at every angle. You don't like the album? Stfu about it. Do we need to hear you bitch about it in 25+ threads? Lordherpes seek a clinic, then seek some help. You're evidently brain dead. How can a person not like songs the caliber of deliverance and By the pain i see in others? Probably a person who is taking his teenage sexual frustration out on a message board. Your the equivalent of a typewriting terrorist. Did it ever cross your mind that there are people on this board that actually enjoy the album? We dont need Urkel's like you to rain on our parade. What's wrong with being a hardcore fan? You have to only appreciate a band half ass nowadays to be respected in the metal community? Is that it? If you become die hard and revolve most of your music listening and attention to one band you get flamed. What a sorry state this board has been lowered to. The only thing depreciating about Opeth is their fan base. And Lordhippo is prime example. Put down the fucking whopper and run around the block you fat fuck. I hope you succumb to the blistering herpes that infect you and die. You don't deserve to breathe, let alone type in the same presence as me and all my fellow opethians. Cry me a fucking river and then tie an anchor to your leg and jump in you sorry son of a bitch. Die a 1,000 deaths and get sodomized by stalin! In closing...Why don't you do what is says on my signature pic and "Fuck Off"!

ShroudOfDusk said:
I dont think Mayhem are overated. The newer stuff obviously doesnt have any of the impact of the earlier recordings, but they used to be fucken great.

As far as overated bands go... Vintersorg, Extol, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theatre... and Probot hahaha

I won't be a dick and say you suck or anything, because thats rediculous- but I'm just wondering... why do you say this about Vintersorg? I think he (them) deserves any praise they get for being so damn unique... I didn't think so many people were going nuts of Vintersorg in the first place, but just whats your opinion?

(Vintersorg is my favorite band)

AllWithinMyMonster said:
First off Deliverance kicks fucking ass. Stop comparing an album to a bands previous albums and start evaluating it for what it is. Damn, fuck, shit, fart, slurp! Give opeth a fucking break. What are they their own worst enemy? Fans forcing opeth to compete against themselves. To compete against their old material to recieve adjulation from you heathans? Stop fucking bitching and start enjoying the beauty which is opeth. This board is fool of arseholians. Mikael Akerfeldt puts his heart and his soul into his songs only to have pre pubescent pimple popping pea brains bash it at every angle. You don't like the album? Stfu about it. Do we need to hear you bitch about it in 25+ threads? Lordherpes seek a clinic, then seek some help. You're evidently brain dead. How can a person not like songs the caliber of deliverance and By the pain i see in others? Probably a person who is taking his teenage sexual frustration out on a message board. Your the equivalent of a typewriting terrorist. Did it ever cross your mind that there are people on this board that actually enjoy the album? We dont need Urkel's like you to rain on our parade. What's wrong with being a hardcore fan? You have to only appreciate a band half ass nowadays to be respected in the metal community? Is that it? If you become die hard and revolve most of your music listening and attention to one band you get flamed. What a sorry state this board has been lowered to. The only thing depreciating about Opeth is their fan base. And Lordhippo is prime example. Put down the fucking whopper and run around the block you fat fuck. I hope you succumb to the blistering herpes that infect you and die. You don't deserve to breathe, let alone type in the same presence as me and all my fellow opethians. Cry me a fucking river and then tie an anchor to your leg and jump in you sorry son of a bitch. Die a 1,000 deaths and get sodomized by stalin! In closing...Why don't you do what is says on my signature pic and "Fuck Off"!
hearhear!!!!!!!!!!! :kickass: