Most recent work - real drums/6505/JCM 900 - Rock/Metal

AEL89

Jan 22, 2009
I finished tracking the vocals for this band last week and this is my first, rough mix - just been working on getting everything tidied up, balanced and placed right.

Lots of work needed yet (especially vocals/solos - they're relatively untouched) but I'm interested in hearing opinions on where any of you would go from here - I have a few things in mind that need to be changed but I just want to see if anyone agrees.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1041607/FIRST MIX.mp3

(There's no limiting on the 2-bus so its a bit quiet)

EDIT:

Updated the mix a little bit. I bought the vocals down, reduced some of the cuts on the guitars and added a little bit of delay to the solos. Please share any thoughts guys!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1041607/SECOND MIX.mp3

yeah, i would turn the vocals down too. also the mix sounds pretty muffled and is missing depth. maybe try a great high shelf (like the harrisson 32) on that and see if it pops out.
on my opals its a little muffled... have to check on hifi speakers though..
edit : sounds actually pretty cool on hifi systems - cool! still would turn the vocals down a bit to gel better with the music

I think the vocals are a bit too loud, but that more "commercial" sound is probably what you were aiming for. I'd turn down the vox anyways :D But other than that, great sound.

Yeh, I'll try compressing the Vocal bus a little harder. Also need to start the labourious task of vocal automation :cry:

yeah, i would turn the vocals down too. also the mix sounds pretty muffled and is missing depth. maybe try a great high shelf (like the harrisson 32) on that and see if it pops out.
on my opals its a little muffled... have to check on hifi speakers though..
edit : sounds actually pretty cool on hifi systems - cool! still would turn the vocals down a bit to gel better with the music

Yeh man, I was high shelf boosting a lot at first but then I went back on it. I don't really have a great hi-shelf plugin but I agree that the track lacks a little air and I'd probably rather get that rectified in the mix rather than leaving it to a mastering engineer. Yes on vocals too, definitely needs a lot of automation and just lowering in general. Thanks man!

great drums sound ;)
I'd pay attention to the guitar sound, just make it bigger! it sounds a bit thin

Cheers man. Layered A LOT of samples for this but really focused on good natural tones too. Made some pretty cool samples from the session too. Also didn't use any reverb - all room ambience and I'm happy with it. Tonnes of compression too. Yeh I think I may have cut a little too much 300. There's small cuts at 900 and 1k too so I probably over did trying to get some clarity. I might just try bringing the JCM 900 tracks up a dB (they're oozing marshall dirt mids!) and bringing them in a touch - they're panned 90 L/R at the moment and the 6505 tracks are 100.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, any other opinions would be hugely appreciated. I'll post an updated mix tomorrow morning.