Most under rated guitar solo

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
Wow...we are all finding new original thread ideas *half sarcasm, half serious*

My pick would be the first off of wreath. I dunno, its a nifty solo that doesnt get that much attention.

The solos from To Bid You Farewell and that sixth track off the new album (can't remember the name) are awesome...very Mark Knopfler...also the solo form A Fair Judgement....smoooth....

Cheers

Paul D.

I don't know.. maybe The Grand Conjuration? It's a fantastic solo, that's superbly placed but seems to unfortunately be overshadowed by a rather mediocre song (by Opeth standards at least).

The clean solo and the end solos from A Fair Judgment. The solo in Windowpane, and of course, Hourse of Wealth. Actually most of the solos from Damnation I just love, by themselves and for what they do to the song. The Ending Credits lead line has such a great tone. The Epilogue solo. The... oh god they're all good. And Akerfeldt's solo in "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" is gorgeous. I am forcing myself to stop now.

blimey said:
not to sure if you could call it underrated - but - White Cluster solo is teh pwnz.

actually you kinda got it mixed up. OVERRATED is the white cluster one, its definately not under rated.

How can a solo from their relatively recent release be underrated? :confuzzled:

Anyways, the wicked Vibrato-introduced solos of Black Rose Immortal and Forest of October.

WICKED.

.. it's been out long enough.. and i said it was great to my mates and they were like ".. not really" etc..

The orchid and morningrise solos are amazingly overrated piles of crap .. can't stand half of them. Not all of them are terrible however. He seems to have an addiction to unison bends at times though lol.

Beneath the Mire x 3
Since I've Been Loving You by Zep - clearly Jimmy's greatest.
Stepping Outside the Circle by Shadows Fall - most people hate them but you can't deny that Donais can write a good solo.
To Dream of Ur by Nile and also:
Unas Slayer of the Gods - Karl has the best bending technique in the world.

Autumnal said:
The clean solo and the end solos from A Fair Judgment.
Agreed.

Serenity Painted Death (I don't know if it's underrated, but it leads into the clean vocals perfectly)
Devin Townsend - Suicide
Dream Theater - Goodnight Kiss (again, I'm not sure if it's underrated, but I haven't really heard much mention of it)
Sentenced - Noose
Sentenced - The Golden Stream of Lapland
Sentenced - End of the Road (yes, 3 Sentenced songs. There's a couple more too, but these are the ones that stand out most. And I'm sure most people here will disagree, but Miika has to be one of the most underrated guitar players I know of ... him and maybe Simon Solomon)
Into Eternity - Shallow (not a big fan of the band anymore, but this one does kick ass)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Goober said:
My pick would be the first off of wreath. I dunno, its a nifty solo that doesnt get that much attention.

I totally agree. That solo is fucking amazing, in my opinion. I actually heard it referred to as "cheesey" once, and I was ready to blow the reviewer's head off.

In addition to that, I'd also go with the solos in April Ethereal, Beneath The Mire (DEFINITELY), A Fair Judgment (of course), and Ghost of Perdition. There are probably like twenty others that I can't think of right now.

wreath solo, wreath in general is highly underated.
3 minutes or so in to GOP their is abreak 'winding ever higher', after that line line their is an acoustic riff (reminiscent of a fair judgement....but anyway) their a huge bend on the 16th fret or something then a bit of a solo, thats great, a tad chessy maybe but great none the less