Motley Crue & Motorhead in Melbourne last nite

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
Well I went to the Motley Crue & Motorhead show last night in Melbourne.

Motorhead played for about 45 minutes, fuckin loud too! I'm not a fan to be honest and didn't really get into it but they are a tight band and played a strong set.

Motley were next, I have alot of mixed emotions about the show really. There were some great points but also alot of low points. Overall, it was a good show and they did the job - the entertained the crowd well with a fun, wild, big over the top decadent rock & roll show which is what they were there for. But there were alot of the things about the show which I think could have been ALOT better.

Firstly, Tommy Lee should not be allowed NEAR a microphone. He's a fucking idiot. I don't know about you guys, but I don't go to a Motley Crue show to see 20 minutes of the show wasted on the drummer wandering around the stage making homeboy hand movements yelling "Who's your motherfuckin boy! Who loves ya! Who loves ya! Gimme a motherfuckin 'YO!' motherfuckers! Who's your boy!" Secondly, Nikki Sixx is so overrated as a performer. I thought Vince did an excellent job though. He was all over the stage putting on a show and working up the crowd, when he couldnt sing parts he'd at least point the mic to the crowd to cover up well instead of singing badly, good job.

Another thing, the breaks in the show. Come on... 40 minutes into the set, "We're taking a 10 minute break, see you soon". What the fuck? Alice Cooper & Kiss are way older than Motley Crue and player longer shows with NO breaks! And the breaks between songs were too long as well. Just too much fucking around and unprofessionalism. They were also not very tight, some songs it took half a verse to pick what song it was (Tommy's playing was on the money but Mick & Nikki were just a mess), and also they used backing tapes for the choruses of all the post-Theater of Pain songs. Very un-Motley!

Apart from those things though, they played most of the songs I wanted to hear, some songs were real fuckin highlights and awesome (Shout, Girls & Feelgood especially!), the stageshow was amazing and up to Kiss standard (shame their performance as a band was nowhere near the professionalism of Kiss), Vince was a great performer, the crowd was wild, Nikki said Detroit are usually loudest but we were almost as loud as Detroit and he'll have to tell them about Melbourne next time haha (funny coz Detroit & Melbourne seem to be Kiss' 2 fave cities in the world too), and yeah overall it was just a great fun, wild, outrageous decadent rock & roll party with loud tunes, fire, strippers, midgets, and tits being flashed everywhere!

Good night out :headbang:

I'm a bass player. You are too, right?

To be honest, Nikki Sixx is one of the worst f7cking live bass players I have ever seen. I think he's actually pretty smart and his role in writing the tunes is good, but god damn boy why can't he play the f7cking bass live?

Mick Mars is just as bad on his instrument, but at least his health problems are a good excuse. I do give him a break.

Oh, and it was a wild crowd before it started too. People lined up at the venue from 9am to get a good spot on the floor (the arena was sold out), I rocked up after work about 4:30 (the show wasnt until night) and the outside of the arena, though it was raining, was full of ppl in Motley shirts and leather, wearing makeup & hairspray, heaps with cans of Jack Daniels & Coke in their hands getting smashed, chanting CRUE! CRUE! CRUE! Finally got into the venue and same thing in the lines of the foyers, lots of chanting and cheers and booing the security guys when they'd open the door & close it again etc haha. Very Motley atmosphere!

I'm going to the 2nd Melbourne show tonight. 8 rows from the front I have. Tonight's show is a scaled down "intimate" Melbourne-only show at a 2000 seat theatre (as opposite to an arena with a general admission floor) playing for 2 & a half hours. Hope that isnt full of breaks :(

Yeah, I'm more a guitarist but just recently switched to bass for one of the bands I'm in :) And yeah Nikki was VERY sloppy live, and even as a performer he barely moved either and didnt even look that cool. Gene Simmons is a far better bass player live and also still performs better than Nikki visually.

I'm guessing it's for Mick's sake but it's still a bit inconvenience and breaks up the energy of the show too much. They went 3-4 minutes between some songs too of just fooling around.

I went to the 2nd Melbourne show last night. Embarassing on their behalf, the setlist was the same (actually a bit shorter even), and everything they said on stage was identical to the night before... Also, with better sound & moer intimate venue, it was alot easier to pick up on the fact that they had taped backing vocals and there was a 2nd guitar obviously off-stage.

I seen them on the second date of the reunion tour and they were really good. I was shocked actually. Vince even sang most of the words to the songs!:loco: I think the breaks are for Mick, so you can't fault them for that. He is supposedly in constant pain from the illness he has, and can't be doped up and play every night. It's either that or get a replacement, I'll take the breaks with Mick still there. It was a good show and there were about 15000-20000 people there.