Moving abroad?

Don't just rule out Munich for no real reason. It's a beautiful and fun city... the only major downside is that it's also easily THE most expensive city here.

I live basically exactly in between Hamburg and Munich, so there's not much of a bias going on here. All three of them (Hamburg, Berlin, Munich) have their pros and cons but are generally nice cities.

Berlin has a certain charm to it you won't find anywhere else. It's a cultural melting pot (no where else in the world are more Turks living outside Turkey than in Berlin) and though being the capital, some places are literally dirtholes because the city is pretty poor. Rough charm... but beautiful people (the genuine Berliners).

Hamburg is quite an international town, too. The port, the famous Reeperbahn.... Hamburg is definitely a fun city and not yet quite as fucked up as some places in Berlin. I still kinda prefer Berlin, though.

Munich has the highest standard of living among these and you'll either love it or hate it. It's definitely the "snobbiest" place out of those. Less immigrants... IMO a very nice city... if you can afford it.

What about places like Koeln (don't wanna hunt for the "o with an umlaut" symbol, sue me :D) and Frankfurt? Ooh, and Wuerzburg too, my extremely hot German teacher went to school there and she really liked it

I think this thread needs one of these:

germany-map.jpg

The cool thing about Köln/Cologne is its proximity to both the Ruhrgebiet and the Netherlands. Frankfurt, our banking metropolis, is a nice place too but just not that special IMO. Both cities are worth considering, but both suffer from the same problems as Berlin and Hamburg.

Places like Würzburg, Stuttgart or Heidelberg can be quite a gem if you don't necessarily rely on big city flair. Life's less hectic, more safe, less multi-culti... they have definitely their advantages.

Oh man, last time we played Cologne/Köln (in January with Obscura, Dew-Scented..) I puked so hard but that was rather a reaction to my migraine and the Kölsch (very thin, local beer) than to the city... haha.

Oh boy, I also got busted by a girl on the backstage toilet that night while I was - pants down - about to explode from every pipe available...

I'm not sure if MeisterJäger will be allowed to live in Köln... I'm pretty sure he likes girls??

Hamburg is quite an international town, too. The port, the famous Reeperbahn.... Hamburg is definitely a fun city and not yet quite as fucked up as some places in Berlin. I still kinda prefer Berlin, though.

I fucking LOVE the Reeperbahn! I lived in SH (Elmshorn... the pits basically) last summer, and spent as much time in Hamburg as I possibly could! Probably my favorite city in the world... gorgeous place, very diverse, the people were really cool, and the nightlife was second-to-none! :headbang:

Hamburg sounds awesome. I never left Berlin my whole time in Germany, and I have to say I think I'd miss the boner I get every time I stand in front of the columns of the Reichstag. Something bad happened to architecture in the odd 70 or so years after that era.

Btw here's our crowning fucking architecture achievement.... looks like they hired a bus full of downies to scribble some shit on paper then our tard council leaders found it politically correct to indulge them and throw these abominations INTO THE HEART OF OUR FUCKING CITY!:

800px-Federation_Square,_Melbourne.jpg

I'm not sure if MeisterJäger will be allowed to live in Köln... I'm pretty sure he likes girls??

Hahahaha, indeed, Cologne is the San Francisco of Germany but actually that doesn't mean it is men-only, we have pretty chicks here too :D

I fucking LOVE the Reeperbahn! I lived in SH (Elmshorn... the pits basically) last summer, and spent as much time in Hamburg as I possibly could! Probably my favorite city in the world... gorgeous place, very diverse, the people were really cool, and the nightlife was second-to-none! :headbang:

+1 on the nightlife in Hamburg.

Hahahahaahaha, that is pretty godawful Ermz - who are all the people in those giant pictures plastered (unevenly) all over that building?

And also, I was just looking at a map of Australia, and I realized I've never even heard of your capital, Canberra - Sydney is famous of course because of the opera house (and Olympics in 2000), and I had heard of Brisbane and Melbourne just in general (and the fact that it seems like every single Australian Sneapster is from the latter), but I can safely say the name "Canberra" would not have meant anything to me until 30 seconds ago. What're your thoughts on it dude?

My honest-to-god biggest WTF about Australia is the landmass... you know it's about the same size as the continental US? Fucking massive!! Popultion is roughly the same as the state of CA, but there's a fuckton of useless land apparently!

Yep, that's correct. I don't think I've ever gone as far out as the outback, as that's more in central and northern Australia. The east coast, where Sydney and Melb are, is generally dotted with farmland, a few forests here and there, some mountain ranges. Go north west from here though and it's a different story. We get our strong winds blowing desert dust across into even the populated cities, so everything here has a washed out sort of colour to it. You don't notice it if you live here for a while, but come back from overseas and it will hit you like a ton of bricks.

Nobody thinks about Canberra here. It's possibly the most boring town on earth. Inhabited by the politicians, the old & and the otherwise dead to life. The only reason it was made the capital is because they couldn't decide between Sydney and Melbourne.

Hahaha, well at least I don't feel so bad not having heard of it! :lol: And I dunno if your aware of its existence, Ermz, but we have a chain of restaurants here in the US called "Outback Steakhouse," and the ads always consist of a bunch of Aussie surfer types having a beach party and singing some stupid jingle ("no worries, just right" is their slogan), so there's a pretty good indicator of the fixation my country has on yours! Also, what're your feelings on New Zealand, btw? Just as awful as Oz? And how's Australia's government? Stable, or is there a lot of corruption/instability? Give me the whole lowdown!

AND YES THIS IS RELEVENT GODAMMIT - MEISTERJAGER COULD CHANGE HIS MIND ABOUT HOT WEATHER AND WANT TO MOVE TO OZ :heh:

I have no idea about NZ, short of being aware of their fondness for the word 'bro' & having absolutely hilarious accents, even by Aussie standards.

Yeah I've heard of that chain before. I never realized anyone in the US ever really thought about Oz. There's nothing remarkable here compared to the US, apart from the ability to walk down the street not armed to the teeth and still feel relatively safe (in some areas). I've always thought of this place as a smaller version of the US, except with a shit ton more Asians per capita. From what I understand we overtook you guys in the obesity race, and are now the most obese country on the planet. So perhaps your Outback Steakhouse ads should change to reflect that. Maybe just run a camera through the local supermarket and see how many trunk-arsed, elephants one can count and zoom in to one of them buying a few dozen porterhouses. And then sing the Jenny Craig jingle.

The government is less about corruption and more about ineptitude. We can't really win with any of the political parties here. It's either a party that supports the upper class and increases taxes across the board, or a party that supports the lower classes and in the process destroys all remnants of our economy, treasury savings etc. Most of our core services are privatized. So that means public transport, our largest telecommunications holder, a large amount of the health care system etc. Health care here is shit, which is something I imagine you're used to up your way. Our telephone charges and broadband internet access are ridiculous. My plan costs $70 per month and I'm capped at 40 gigs of downloads during peak times. Another 110gb on offpeak. That's for a whole month, and that's the most generous plan in the country, AFAIK. Traffic is ridiculous at peak times because the city's road infrastructure simply can't handle the population (or should I say immigration?) boom we've had over the last several years. We actually have trams sharing the road with cars on single-lane, main roads. Our trains travel level to the ground, so there are level crossings which stop the flow of traffic every time a train passes. It's all just so inefficient.

I mean, come here for a holiday or something, but don't ever live here. It's just not pleasant. That's about the best way I can put it. I write this now with fucking sweat dripping off my arms because I've been in my room mixing all day and the temperature has spiked, even though we're nearing the end of summer and have already gone through our slew of 40+C degree days... It's just shit man, that's the best way I can put it. The very atmosphere here wants to kill you - this thing isn't meant to be inhabited by humans. Oh, also, good luck getting anywhere here by playing metal. There's no market for it, nor any space to move for local producers, so my #1 goal is to get the hell out of here as soon as humanly possible.