mr. bungle

SwambA

Processed Chicken
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater, fl
Has there ever or will there ever be another band as good mr. bungle?

If you have never heard them, please watch all of it before you form an opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know! They have ruined me! They made 3 great albums and then broke up. So now everything pales in comparison! I don't know if another band will ever blow me away again, I hope there will be one, I've been looking for years. I know they said they won't but I think they will make another album at some point.

Despise Patton but this is the only project I can tolerate him in. He really REALLY works for bungle IMO, purely because they're taking the fucking piss with it all haha.

Disco Volante is one of the finest pieces of avant-garde genius ever commited to disk!

Swamba dude, if you want more stuff that's as good (and perhaps even better) check out Secret Chiefs 3 if you haven't already. It's all written/arranged by Bungle's guitarist Trey Spruance (who is the REAL genius behind Mr Bungle anyway and not mike patton. patton only wrote california which i love but it isnt anywhere near as good as the first two albums.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsW04tDb1c&feature=related[/ame]

My sister got me into My Bungle when I was 12.
You can see why my mind is so fucked up now

GarethSE: Of course I know Secret Chiefs 3, I know everything all of them have been involved in, and yes Trey Spruance is a musical genius BUT so is patton and dunn and Heifetz and McKinnon, AND its not true about Patton only writing songs on california... regardless bungle would not be bungle without Patton, he is a amazing singer!!! Secret Chiefs 3-Book of Horizons is the only album that comes close but still no cigar!I think Estradasphere is a better band than Secret Chiefs BUT still no bungle! IMO none of the stuff they do on there own is on the as good as the work they did together in bungle! Its them as a whole that makes them the best band I've ever heard!

Keep the bands coming!! I would love for someone to introduce me to a band that I haven't heard of, that's bungle-esq or that blows me away!!!

Here is some bands that I've found, while trying to fill the void bungle has left!!

Vladimir Bozar, Carnival in Coal, Darth Vegas, Messer Chups,Tipsy,X Legged Sally, Crotchduster, Polkadot Cadaver, Dog fashion disco,Tub ring, Peter Thomas, Bag of humans, Estradasphere, Bad dudes, Busuchan, Ephel Duath, Stolen Babies, Circus of the dead squirrel... just off the top of my head and only bands that I think are in the vain of bungle.

Love Naked City! just been listen to them for so long I forgot about them, Most Zorn stuff is awesome, some not so awesome! But you mention Zorn, that starts to get into the whole downtown jazz/knitting factory type bands. I've heard so much of that kinda stuff I'm really bored with it. I was in a couple "avant garde jazz" bands like that myself. BUT!! love Naked city and Masada!

Painkiller is the best zorn project

And yeah, Naked City is also amazing.

edit: also, estradasphere is the shit. just listen to anything on tzadik records and you'll be in avant-garde heaven.
edit edit: for example, eyvind kang records. do it.

Naked City is cool - I have the torture garden vinyl.
Anyone knows which Zorn project(s) had a DJ ? I heard some live recording from a jazz fest a few years ago.

there's praxis, it's not John Zorn though.

But yeah, Praxis are definately worth checking out. Mildly avant-garde DJ set/Funk/Metal blend. Buckethead, Bill Laswell (dub bass geniusguy, also played in painkiller [avant-garde jazz/grindcore group with zorn and mick harris from napalm death, amazing stuff],) bootsy collins and brain, plus some dj's.
you'll dig it.