Mr Walker - Project walk through in Reaper of the song "Behind every smile"

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey guys!

Here is a walk through of one of the songs from my album "A day in a storm". If you haven't checked my album out yet, you should! Click on the link below to go to my bandcamp page and have a listen. If you think I'm worth it, buy the album for a few dollars instead of a beer and support me. ;D

http://mr-walker.bandcamp.com/

So, now that the album is released, I've made a walk through of the song "Behind every smile", showing how it is set up in Reaper and how I went about mixing it. I don't go super in-depth with everything, but I scratch the surface on most topics I think. I'm no expert by any means, but I did manage to create a pretty decent sounding record out of totally crappy gear. Just watch it if you're interested in my project or recording in general, maybe you'll get a few ideas to try out. Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xkMt0B28uOs

Watching right now. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the videos. It is very interesting material.

The album rocks, it sounds massive, you did a great job on it man!

1hr segments eh? Damn bro, you put some hard work into this for sure! Gonna check this out over a nice dinner & drink :kickass:

You should post more here too.

That little FX Parameter trick is pretty cool. Did not know about that!!

Thanks for these!! Definitely gives me a bit of insight and motivation. Song sounds SICK by the way!!

Great stuff! I am always proud of myself that I am not hooked to TV series but these studio diary series are quite addictive! Where is my Part 8??! :)

Thanks guys, you are awesome. This forum is awesome! Without this place, I probably would not have attempted this, or if I did, it would definately not have sounded like this.

Reaper is amazing when you think about it. The flexibility, and its low cost makes it awesome.

Great stuff! I am always proud of myself that I am not hooked to TV series but these studio diary series are quite addictive! Where is my Part 8??! :)

I too eat dinner and watch people's YouTube channels instead of TV. TV is pretty boring, YouTube is my TV :) I often watch Husky's channel on YouTube, the guy who casts Starcraft 2 games. It's just like it was soccer or something, all that fast talk going on, but it's Starcraft 2 haha.

Anyway, part 8 is gone and so are a couple others. I somehow thought it was a good idea to record a part and upload it with nothing important being said in it really. I think part 8 was the "update so far"-part, where I was basically just talking about the progress. I felt we could do without that video now that the album is done. I dunno, I work in strange ways...

And awesome guitar tone, btw.

I just will never be able to achieve that sort of tone, I'm afraid. I guess I need to start EQing a lot more, and also before the ampsim.

And awesome guitar tone, btw.

I just will never be able to achieve that sort of tone, I'm afraid. I guess I need to start EQing a lot more, and also before the ampsim.

Thanks man! I've spent an insane amount of hours on that tone, trying every damn amp sim back at that time. For my guitar, for my setup, WarpVST worked best, strangely enough. I'm sure you will find a tone that suits your music if you just keep on looking and testing.

You are hilarious dude, I love these. You gotta keep 'em coming. Your mix sounds great too. The only question I have is that I notice your group/bus channels (vox/gtrs/drums) are always turned down quite a bit? it this because is or your gain staging technique? I love the mix so please dont take this the wrong way, Im trying to learn from you. Usually I have the individual channels sitting lower or trimmed instead of pulling the group down? Thanks for sharing Erkan, amazing stuff man. You literally had me laughing out loud.

Best Forum On Earth \m/ \m/

Hey Studdy stud!

The gain staging.. hm, I haven't given much thought about it really but when I started the mix, I pulled all faders down to around -6 db and then worked from there. After that, I noticed I had some tracks hitting the 0 db and "clipping" (but in the digital domain where you've got at least 32-bit floating point processing, it can't clip unless it's in the master track where the summing and everything happens), so I just let them be and let them clip on their individual tracks.

I have tried different ways of mixing, I've tried mixing hot (with signals very close to peaking in individual tracks), and I've tried mixing less hot with signals having more headroom. In any case, it's pretty much the same end result if you treat your master track correctly. With less hot signals, you will need to use a lot of gain boosting and saturation, compression etc. on the master to make the signal hot and loud for the mastering. Otherwise, if you have hot signals coming in to the master track, you won't have to compress and gain boost as much since you would be clipping a whole lot then.

I guess the most important thing is to at least have a consistency in each track regarding the dynamics. If you compress the tracks separately, they won't be jumping up and down in the master summing, and they won't be causing everything to pump crazily.

Did I answer your question? I feel like I just pooped out a lot of words here.