Multi-Band Compression on Ampsims

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Would multi-band compression be just as effective on Ampsims as they would if you mic'd a cab?

Considering that real cabs push air and amp sims dont, and assuming you're using the multiband comp on the low end, my guess is that a real cab would get more low end thump and it may be needed moreso on the real cab.

I've been putting it on my mixes (which use ampsims) and I've been getting incredible results.

I remember Eric Monsonis posted an example where he used multiband comp (not to tame low mid resonance) and a couple of other things in order to recreate the real cab behavior. It's in one of his threads in the Rate my mix subforum.

I remember Eric Monsonis posted an example where he used multiband comp (not to tame low mid resonance) and a couple of other things in order to recreate the real cab behavior. It's in one of his threads in the Rate my mix subforum.

I've been looking and I can't find this thread :(

The behavior of a speaker when pushed hard is to become nonlinear as it reaches the end of its play (movement) to keep the cone from self destructing. This is a very soft knee progressive ratio, instant attack and release wideband compression, which also provides additional musical 3rd harmonic distortion. A triode saturation in conjunction with a wideband compressor and a sneap style multiband comp before the IR will help bring some life into the cabinet.

There is more information about speaker distortion in the first link in my sig below, I talk about how a real speaker works. The more you understand how speakers distort, the better you can use vst or other hardware means to better emulate speaker distortion.

I think great is revalver cabsim rack cause it had some crunch and dist. Works fine for me! And i definitely add multiband compression on lows cause it kicks! :)