Music reviews blah blah

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
See I'm a bit mixed on that one, reason being possibly I've been reviewing stuff for various zines and shit for the past 15 years or so, some of that "work" even helping make ends meet (I do some freelance now and then for a "mainstream" metal/goth/whatever magazine).

I would agree that most reviews aren't worth the rope that should serve to hang the reviewer, including mine as I put close to zero effort into that sellout job stuff. And so-called "objective", descriptive reviews piling up metaphors and adjectives are completely useless.

On the other hand, I find that on occasions, reviews are a nice tool to spread the word on buried gems, or on the contrary tone down the mob wanking on overpraised albums. I don't know, maybe it's just a case of sometimes connecting with the reviewer's style and taste more than with the review itself. In the end it's you and the music and "listen for yourself" and whatnot but I'll always be more attracted to a record (or disc) in the first place reading a well-written and/or funny review, preferably in a print zine than being drowned under random fagspace/facebuck/jewcamp links of the latest Internet hype.

And of course reviews by dudes like NAD are always the best.

Anyway, I don't even remember why I opened this post. The generic review hatred I just find puzzling, is all.

This should be every review:

"Hi. This is the band. Here is a photo of their logo. Here is a photo of the album in question. Here is a link to youtube/sample/bandcamp/whatever".

Done. I really don't care what someones interpretation or impression is. It will have no bearing as to my own personal enjoyment of said piece of music.

Recos and reviews are really only useful from people whose opinion and tastes you already trust to begin with, in which case they are still worthless, because chances are all they need to say is "listen to this" and you will and thoroughly enjoy it.

I love clever writing. Review or otherwise, if the writing is good, that is good. I don't read reviews very often, as I'd rather just experience the thing myself, but I love good writing. One of the best reviews I have seen is that one 0% one for Master of Puppets on MA. I disagree with it completely, but that isn't the point.

And I thank you good sir. I've gone back and read some of my OGRC stuff and cringe, but the interpretive/weird ones I am glad to engage myself upon.

This should be every review:

"Hi. This is the band. Here is a photo of their logo. Here is a photo of the album in question. Here is a link to youtube/sample/bandcamp/whatever".

Done. I really don't care what someones interpretation or impression is. It will have no bearing as to my own personal enjoyment of said piece of music.

I agree with you that someone else's interpretation won't sway my opinion on how I feel about a certain album, but a well-written review is always an interesting read, especially if you have a super boring job :lol: .

i am so fucking tired of nearly all "journalism" for reasons i don't have time or energy to articulate properly right now

i genuinely think people should shut up and stop writing, there are more than enough fucking words in the world

but the main problem with today's music reviews is everyone shitting out completely misinformed "opinions" after casually listening to half of an mp3 leak just for the sake of being FIRST

unless you're willing to wait 5 years if necessary to review an album, shut the fuck up